Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Best Earplugs?

ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Earplugs?

I need a pair of earplugs for the dancing during the reception. The music is simply too loud, and oftentimes, the best spot for me is right next to a speaker.

I have no idea what I'm looking for or what features I need (how much noise do I need to block?)

Anyone have a recommendation? Willing to spend whatever it takes for something good.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Earplugs?

Visit a local gun shop or shooting range, in the old days we used filters from cigarette.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Earplugs?

I hear ya bro (very punny). I felt like I was doing damage to my ears by being on the reception dance floor. And like you, sometimes the best position for the shot is right in front of the speaker. There was a thread on this years ago here on FM, and someone (I think it was Tony H) mentioned DownBeats I got them and love them. Made a huge difference. But if you simply do a search of ear plugs on Amazon a ton will come up. I'm sure ear shape might play a role so you might need to try a couple before finding the perfect pair. But you can start with those DownBeats.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Earplugs?

I just went to an audiologist to get custom molded ear plugs. The foam ones never worked that well for me. I should get the new ones today. Everybody I know that has gotten them has loved them.

Mitch, the Downbeats are really good! I just would lose them or not get them to fit quite right. I think my ears are strange.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Earplugs?

I don't know about what is the very best, but these are what I use. Good compromise of cost and effectiveness. I can still hear voices and stuff that I want to hear, but my ears are also protected from the loud stuff. Nice to have for concerts, too. Damn, I'm getting old.

Etymotic High Fidelity Earplugs, ER20 ETY-Plugs, Standard Fit Blue Tip, 1 pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5HGBzb1SERDK9

Jul 18, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Earplugs?

I will second Downbeats!! I bought them on recommendation from the thread on here, and reading some other reviews, and they are awesome! It's like somebody just turned down the volume on the whole room together, you can still hear people talk, etc, just at a softer level. I loved them so much I got a pair for my main photog (seconded for one guy exclusively for 5 years). He used to supply me with the foam plugs (when we would remember lol), and he loved the Downbeats too! Uses them when he's driving his kids and all their friends around too

Jul 18, 2017 at 02:57 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Earplugs?

Downbeats for me, attached to the car keys. Used 'em at Beck last week (and a few weddings this year). Get the two-pack on Amazon Prime.

Jul 18, 2017 at 02:59 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Earplugs?

Same ones I use for weddings and on ships and combat zones as a Navy photog. Even worked great on the weapons range.

BSPhotog wrote:
I don't know about what is the very best, but these are what I use. Good compromise of cost and effectiveness. I can still hear voices and stuff that I want to hear, but my ears are also protected from the loud stuff. Nice to have for concerts, too. Damn, I'm getting old.

Etymotic High Fidelity Earplugs, ER20 ETY-Plugs, Standard Fit Blue Tip, 1 pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5HGBzb1SERDK9

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Earplugs?

Just ordered Downbeats. Thanks guys!

Every weekend I think "damn, I wish I had ear plugs".

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:28 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Earplugs?

I have tried quite a few, but my favorite ones are the silicone moldable gels made for swimming that you get from Walgreens for 10 bucks. A pack lasts quite a while, I usually use 2 packs a season. I used the downbeats once but they almost got lost in my ear, then one fell out on the dance floor never to be seen again. Maybe my ears are too big, so the swimmers ear plugs are my go-to.

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Earplugs?

DownBeats ordered off Amazon.ca

$14 + $4 shipping

Hopefully it arrives soon.

Jul 18, 2017 at 05:20 PM
ronrandle
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Earplugs?

I'll second the Etymotic's that BSphotog mentioned. I'd also add that I left my Etymotic's at home one wedding, and I picked up some $4.00 ear plugs at Lowe's that, believe it or not, did just as good. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Safety-Works-Ear-Plugs/1000042467

Jul 18, 2017 at 05:25 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Earplugs?

I will vouch for the Downbeats too. Love them! Use the foam ones only in a pinch like when I forget my Downbeats and leave them at home.

On a side note, a bit of a rant, why is it that DJs feel that they need to play the music so stinking loud anyway? Do they actually believe that playing the music loud will get more people on the dance floor? I have never understood this.

Jul 18, 2017 at 06:00 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Earplugs?

Not to sound like Dad, but I have dB Meter Pro on my iPhone and will warn any offenders to turn it down if peaks on the dance floor go significantly over 90dB.

It's only a problem with newbie DJ's or the ones who don't do many weddings. No experienced / reputable DJs have program over 90, at least not in Colorado. Venues here won't allow it.

I've been in hi-fi my whole life and go to see a ton of live music. No way am I going to ruin my hearing over wedding DJ music. For me, the best thing about this topic is the majority of timelines I've set up for 2017 don't have me shooting drunk dancing. My zen is stay 1-hour after start of toasts, cake cutting and first dance. My portfolio, too, is filled with killer ultra wide drunk dancing photos with epic lighting but such a small percentage of those photos get picked for albums it seems like a colossal waste of photography time. Plus, I look a little foolish shooting that stuff into my 50's.

Jul 18, 2017 at 06:11 PM
ronrandle
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Earplugs?

MRomine wrote:
On a side note, a bit of a rant, why is it that DJs feel that they need to play the music so stinking loud anyway? Do they actually believe that playing the music loud will get more people on the dance floor? I have never understood this.

Bigger issue for us are the bands. 60% of our weddings have bands and the volume, even in smaller venues is intense.

Jul 18, 2017 at 06:30 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Earplugs?

Two things happen around here imminently after the first dance: all the lights get turned off, and the DJs crank the volume.

I'm going to have to test out that dB Meter Pro this weekend. I just tested it at my desk and easily hit 75dB listening to YouTube music videos

Jul 18, 2017 at 09:27 PM
pendennis

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Earplugs?

In one of my current "other" lives, I enjoy rifle, pistol, and shotgun shooting. I've owned custom-made ear plugs for around 10 years. I also use electronic ear muffs with them. The electronic muffs cut off all sound above 85db. The deadening effect isn't linear, but they both help.

If you don't mind the looks you'll get, buy the electronic types. They allow sound through the built-in microphones, and then shut down. The good ones aren't cheap, and you'll pay around $200, but you get to balance that against your potential permanent loss of hearing.

Gunshots generate as much as 165db. Even a .22 will generate as much as 125db.

Downside to custom plugs is inability to hear "standard" speech in a crowded environment.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Earplugs?

I have foam earplugs from Walmart and they are more or less reusable. I keep my ears clean so I only throw mine out every ten uses or so. They are rated for 30dB attenuation. The Downbeats linked to in a previous post attenuate 18dB...

I use my earplugs when working rock concerts and they're great.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Earplugs?

BSPhotog wrote:

These sound great. So many just cut the mid-range too much to hear people talk.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Earplugs?

MRomine wrote:

It is an absolute epidemic here in the UK not just weddings but just about every bar and club in existence. You go out with friends to be social and spend the evening mouthing "what?" and yelling at each other. Being unable to speak the next day is as frequent as the hangovers. It is basically impossible to take a date to those places outside of an early weekday evening.

Bands in small venues I can sort of understand. The drums are just going to be a certain volume, nothing you can do and all the other instruments need to match up to that.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password