1       2       3              26      
       end

FE 100-400 test with samples

kimknapp
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.27 #1 · p.27 #1 · FE 100-400 test with samples

k-h.a.w wrote:
In my experience for fast moving objects, like Hummingbirds in Flight, the A9 with electronic shutter and the E-M1.2 with mechanical shutter beat the A7r2 AF-wise by far and lower your frustration level considerably.

I agree 100%, but I just like the extra reach that the A7R2 can give when cropped. For the trip, I'll use our RX10 Mk IV for BIF, A7Rii w/ 100-400 and TC for stationary birds.

I think.

Keep in mind that I have swung from just taking the Olympus kit, (plus the RX10 for my wife). Figured I had it covered with my new 12-40 f/2.8, my 40-150 f/2.8 and 300 f/4 Pro. Now, this latest testing using the 100-400, 1.4tc with the A7Rii, instead of the A6300 has swayed me back to taking Sony. Even with the low light that is common in CR. And, the new RX10 is pretty amazing for BIF.

Am I making a mistake?? Pulling my hair out and I don't have much to pull.

(I do have the A7Riii on order, but it won't be here in time).

Kim

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:55 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.27 #2 · p.27 #2 · FE 100-400 test with samples

Kim, good luck. It seems with A7r2 and RX10 Mk IV for BIF you have covered all the bases.
BTW the E-M1.2 and A9 are my only mirror-less cameras that didn't give me focus hunting.

K-H.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:07 PM
michaelstokes

p.27 #3 · p.27 #3 · FE 100-400 test with samples

vegasti wrote:
hmm.. ok I did some more tests and it seems like the a6500 + this lens requires a bit more light to get critically sharp focus at this distance and the manual focus is too sensitive for me to get it perfectly sharp. And because I live in Tromsų (Northern Norway(above the arctic circle)) daylight is not something we have much of around this time. So I had to find something very bright I could focus on at infinite distance with high contrast - the moon. And thankfully Luna was sharp so my precious lens can get sharp focus at
...Show more

I have also noticed that images in C1 are sharper than LR. Will retest the lens when the weather brightens up here and then see if I need to send it back to Sony. Should I be testing all focal lengths at infinity?

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:39 PM
vegasti

p.27 #4 · p.27 #4 · FE 100-400 test with samples

michaelstokes wrote:
I have also noticed that images in C1 are sharper than LR. Will retest the lens when the weather brightens up here and then see if I need to send it back to Sony. Should I be testing all focal lengths at infinity?

Well.. I just learned last night that the unsharpness was due to me shooting from my warm living room and out to the cold winter and when the warm and cold air met it made some kind of strong destortion in front of the lens. So I need to go all the way out on my balcony and not just stand in the door

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password