Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              24       25       end
  

FE 100-400 test with samples
  
 
skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · FE 100-400 test with samples


I'm struggling with this one... i just bought Sigma 150-600 sport.... tried it with the A9 and I'm quite happy with results... got some nice bird in flight stuff at probably 10 FPS
can't help but wonder if the Sony 100-400 will be any sharper ... but once you add in the 1.4 TC then focal ratio goes UP... maybe not a contest after all ?

Bruce



Jul 25, 2017 at 11:36 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · FE 100-400 test with samples


See if I can get them tonight. They come back for a few days feed really well than move on. I have desert directly behind my house. Everyday I have Quail, Dove, Cactus Wren all over my yard and wall.

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Guy,
Give this album a 10 second scroll through-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/albums/72157647823023723
You're pulling at my heart strings! And to think I travel all over to find them and you
have three in your backyard!




Jul 26, 2017 at 12:37 AM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Lenses are in stock... Smaller stores are shipping lenses now.


Jul 26, 2017 at 01:41 AM
nekrosoft13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · FE 100-400 test with samples




skyloverz wrote:
I'm struggling with this one... i just bought Sigma 150-600 sport.... tried it with the A9 and I'm quite happy with results... got some nice bird in flight stuff at probably 10 FPS
can't help but wonder if the Sony 100-400 will be any sharper ... but once you add in the 1.4 TC then focal ratio goes UP... maybe not a contest after all ?

Bruce


I had the sport that lens is massive, sold it 2 months later, it's way to big to walk with, replaced it with contemporary version, no image quality loss, and much lighter.



Jul 26, 2017 at 01:43 AM
MedicineMan404
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Skyloverz at over 6 pounds you are a heck of a man to wield that lens !!
Weight is the primary reason I gambled and pre-ordered the FE100-400, it is 8 or more ounces lighter than the EOS 100-400ii I sold. 8 ounces at my age is huge!
That said I've gone through several Tamron 150-600s, first and second gen. Maybe the Sigma Sport is way better? I never had one (did have the Sigma 120-300mm and its weight got to me as well) but at least with Canon I could do just as good if not better with a 1.4TCiii on the 100-400ii and crop a bit versus the 600mm on the Tamrons.

I think for large slow moving creatures (me thinking bears/elephants/etc) then the heavy lenses on a tripod just makes sense....but for smaller things moving quickly and me not wanting to trip over the tripod (yep I've done that!) then the more wieldable 100-400 + 1.4TC is the way.



Jul 26, 2017 at 04:04 AM
scrappydog
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · FE 100-400 test with samples


SCOR wrote:
So what is the prevailing wisdom on TC use? I know there are various opinions on whether cropping actually produces better results that a 1.4x and/or 2.0x TC (especially on zooms). Any thoughts on cropping (or crop/APS mode) vs TC on the FE 100-400 + A7RII combo? Which produces better resolution?


I have compared the Canon 7DII + Canon 100-400 II to crops from the A7RII with the same lens and Canon 1.4x III, and the Sony wins. There is no discernable IQ penalty using the Canon 1.4X III with Canon super telephotos. I can't speak for the FE 100-400 + Sony 1.4 TC on the A7RII because I haven't shot with them (few have).



Jul 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM
skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · FE 100-400 test with samples


MedicineMan404 wrote:
Skyloverz at over 6 pounds you are a heck of a man to wield that lens !!
Weight is the primary reason I gambled and pre-ordered the FE100-400, it is 8 or more ounces lighter than the EOS 100-400ii I sold. 8 ounces at my age is huge!
That said I've gone through several Tamron 150-600s, first and second gen. Maybe the Sigma Sport is way better? I never had one (did have the Sigma 120-300mm and its weight got to me as well) but at least with Canon I could do just as good if not better with a 1.4TCiii on
...Show more

YAH Medicine Man, the 150-600 size is surely problematic, however...if you check out the attached pic i shot using that 150-600 and my A9... you'll have to agree...this was no slow moving creature and my gimbal head worked great
agree though..walk around lens.... NOT so much

i REALLY would like to see test shots between the Sigma 150-600 and Sony 100-400

Bruce









Jul 26, 2017 at 11:25 AM
MedicineMan404
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Fantastic grab! I'm glad you + gimbal are coordinated. My days of gimbal/walk around tripod are long gone ha!
I think we can agree though that with a9 the world has changed. Bellwether event the a9.
Regardless fun we are having!



Jul 26, 2017 at 12:33 PM
MedicineMan404
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · FE 100-400 test with samples


scrappydog wrote:
I have compared the Canon 7DII + Canon 100-400 II to crops from the A7RII with the same lens and Canon 1.4x III, and the Sony wins. There is no discernable IQ penalty using the Canon 1.4X III with Canon super telephotos. I can't speak for the FE 100-400 + Sony 1.4 TC on the A7RII because I haven't shot with them (few have).


That is why I say (for this zoom range) the EOS 100-400ii + 1.4TCiii is the bar to beat. Has Sony done that? I won't know until next week.
I say if they match the Canon 100-400ii then they have done stellar work. If they beat it then my gamble in selling the 100-400ii was justified. If not, well, who'll know in a hundred years
But after 2 weeks with the a9 who can deny Sony is not out to draw Canon blood.



Jul 26, 2017 at 12:36 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · FE 100-400 test with samples


MedicineMan404 wrote:
That is why I say (for this zoom range) the EOS 100-400ii + 1.4TCiii is the bar to beat. Has Sony done that? I won't know until next week.
I say if they match the Canon 100-400ii then they have done stellar work. If they beat it then my gamble in selling the 100-400ii was justified. If not, well, who'll know in a hundred years
But after 2 weeks with the a9 who can deny Sony is not out to draw Canon blood.


Speaking of which, anyone who preordered gotten any word on delivery? I have not . . .



Jul 26, 2017 at 04:49 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · FE 100-400 test with samples


I just picked one up at ABT in Chicago, it was NOT pre-order, I called, they had it... i bought it
more to com e



Jul 26, 2017 at 04:53 PM
Matt Kerby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · FE 100-400 test with samples


skyloverz wrote:
I just picked one up at ABT in Chicago, it was NOT pre-order, I called, they had it... i bought it
more to com e


Well, now you'll be able to answer your own question...Nice! Do you have a TC? Looking forward to your thoughts.




Jul 26, 2017 at 05:07 PM
skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · FE 100-400 test with samples


I ordered TC... expect it to arrive for the weekend, then I AM going to do my own " shoot out "
and see what develops

Bruce



Jul 26, 2017 at 05:27 PM
redford01
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · FE 100-400 test with samples


I don't have confirmation of shipping yet, but Adorama just billed my card for it.

RR



Jul 26, 2017 at 07:32 PM
skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Here's a FIRST SHOT with A9 and 100-400
at 400 mm F5.6 ISO 400 1/500
shot in front of my office just now
NO processing other than size reduction
I like it

Bruce







Jul 26, 2017 at 07:41 PM
MedicineMan404
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · FE 100-400 test with samples


All eyes are on your Bruce. The above capture looks great and thanks for not shooting a bookcase!


Jul 26, 2017 at 07:54 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Just got word, my copy will arrive on Friday! Woo-goo!


Jul 26, 2017 at 11:33 PM
MedicineMan404
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Color me jealous Bob, no word yet at all on mine


Jul 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM
skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Bell Tower A9 100-400 @ 200 mm F5.6
too bad my first afternoon with 100-400 is overcast
Pretty damn sharp I'd say

Bruce







Jul 26, 2017 at 11:54 PM
skyloverz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · FE 100-400 test with samples


Here's same Bell Tower at 400 MM shot 10 seconds after the 200 MM shot
this is at 400 MM and masonry walls can REALLY show what a lens is made of
both shots NO POST PROCESS, other than to resize smaller
YERS, this lens is a SHARP SDHOOTER
can't wait to try over weekend in high speed mode

broose







Jul 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM
1       2      
3
       4              24       25       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              24       25       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password