New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

I usually shoot from 1/2000 to 1/3200 and sometimes I discover too late that the speed has changed.

I must be inadvertently hitting/rotating the front control dial with my right thumb.

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to lock a shutter speed on the D500....so that it cannot change.

Thank you

Robert

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:53 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

Change the settings of the front and back wheels

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:05 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

Opps, my suggestion was for D810, sorry. Which is Function f6

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:10 PM
viczig
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

bs kite wrote:
I usually shoot from 1/2000 to 1/3200 and sometimes I discover too late that the speed has changed.

I must be inadvertently hitting/rotating the front control dial with my right thumb.

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to lock a shutter speed on the D500....so that it cannot change.

Thank you

Robert

Yes, Custom Setting f3, turn it on and hold the video button down and rotate the main command dial. A tiny L will show to the left of the shutter speed in the settings window. To unlock repeat the video button and command dial.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:04 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

viczig wrote:
Yes, Custom Setting f3, turn it on and hold the video button down and rotate the main command dial. A tiny L will show to the left of the shutter speed in the settings window. To unlock repeat the video button and command dial.

Thanks for the input folks. At any time, any suggestion may help any of us.

VICZIG put me onto this one:

In f3 of Custom Settings, I went directly to a " yes" or "no" Shutter Lock option. I chose "yes" ... to lock ..... It locks it alright. Now my thumb cannot change the shutter speed without unlocking.

AND.....it is super quick to undo and redo when I choose to change that speed.

Thanks very much!

Robert

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:53 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

FM Forum rocks!

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:54 AM
DGC1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

bs kite wrote:
FM Forum rocks!

Beats the hell out of naturescapes!!!

Jul 18, 2017 at 08:03 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

DGC1 wrote:
Beats the hell out of naturescapes!!!

Thank you.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 in manual mode: Shutter speed often slips to another speed

bs kite wrote:
Thanks for the input folks. At any time, any suggestion may help any of us.

VICZIG put me onto this one:

In f3 of Custom Settings, I went directly to a " yes" or "no" Shutter Lock option. I chose "yes" ... to lock ..... It locks it alright. Now my thumb cannot change the shutter speed without unlocking.

AND.....it is super quick to undo and redo when I choose to change that speed.

Thanks very much!

Robert

Was out on the pond this a.m. and the above procedure does lock the shutter speed in (and the aperture if you choose to....both being separate options). Also, it is quite quick to change to any other shutter speed and lock it. No problem. I like it. Problem solved! Before this, I would look at the results of a burst on a BIF and discover the shutter speed had changed. Now I know that shutter speed is not going to change.

thanks

Robert

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.