Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Making clients laugh?

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Making clients laugh?

Folks, I think this would be a great help for all of us; what phrase(s) do you say to your engagement and wedding clients to make them laugh?

I'll start. I always say this one and 9.9/10 times it makes them laugh!

To the guy: "Whisper her favorite part of the body and what you're going to do with it later!"

Yes, it's going a bit far but we need to make them laugh to get that raw emotion, right?

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Making clients laugh?

Whatever it takes.

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:55 PM
eke2k6
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Making clients laugh?

Sometimes I put them in a physically difficult pose, and say "hooold ittt, hooooolllllddd itttttt, hooooolldddd ittttttttt" until eventually they won't be able to maintain it and collapse in laughter. That's when I shoot.

Jul 17, 2017 at 06:09 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Making clients laugh?

While shooting large groups I rise the camera above my head and ask if they can see my belly button.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Making clients laugh?

I very purposefully try to avoid saying lines to make people laugh. In my opinion, if we start having 'lines' than we've crossed into cheesiness and insincerity. I think reactions are generally better if the clients are just relaxed and comfortable around us. If we say funny things, it's because it just happens as a natural flow from the conversation. I've seen photographers go into their shtick and it makes me very uncomfortable.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:14 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Making clients laugh?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I very purposefully try to avoid saying lines to make people laugh. In my opinion, if we start having 'lines' than we've crossed into cheesiness and insincerity. I think reactions are generally better if the clients are just relaxed and comfortable around us. If we say funny things, it's because it just happens as a natural flow from the conversation. I've seen photographers go into their shtick and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I agree. When I see a shooter that I'm familiar with put on their clown face it makes me feel very awkward, but the client usually doesn't know any different.
However, for those of us who are naturally introverts and/or aren't very outgoing or 'funny' by nature, it's good to have a few lines to get the ball rolling.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:37 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Making clients laugh?

There's a local photographer whose portfolio doesn't have a single person smiling. He made Top 200 in the world by the one website. Crazy. Every bride+groom shot the same. Mountain road at dusk, 2, bride + groom holding hands but apart. Click.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:44 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Making clients laugh?

LeeSimms wrote:
There's a local photographer whose portfolio doesn't have a single person smiling. He made Top 200 in the world by the one website. Crazy. Every bride+groom shot the same. Mountain road at dusk, 2, bride + groom holding hands but apart. Click.

Some totally interchangeable b&g facing each other off in the picture somewhere, but...but 'epic' shot though rite?

Jul 17, 2017 at 09:18 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Making clients laugh?

LeeSimms wrote:

I can think of a number of "top" photogs who post nothing but couples looking away from each other.

Of course, it goes without saying that there's also weird crops, tilt shifts, stuff shoehorned in the frame for no reason, random reflections, etc.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Making clients laugh?

I tell him look longingly into her eyes, move in close, and motorboat.

I tell her to punch him in the dick.

Not even kidding.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Making clients laugh?

"We need to hurry, I have a date with a beautiful girl later", dam it, some times they laugh too long !

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:20 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Making clients laugh?

"Ok, act like you like each other." Their imaginations are much better than any canned line. (Works on groups too) .... Mike

Jul 18, 2017 at 01:53 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Making clients laugh?

> "Ok, act like you like each other."

I actually got a negative comment card for using that one once, and ended it. There are some moments now when I want to say it, and one the subjects actually will (funny). Wow, you read my mind.

Whenever I shoot guys, I often doing my Spinal Tap voice as I'm trying to make the guys shots look like an album cover. I ask which album we're shooting this for. I identify one of the groomsmen as the exploding drummer, the groom as the leader of the band. One of them will usually remark about something going to 11 (which is more than 10). I know, it sounds stupid but always works and the groomsmen shots do look like an album cover.

Jul 18, 2017 at 03:06 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Making clients laugh?

LeeSimms wrote:
I actually got a negative comment card for using that one once

Ha! I'll have to be careful... nah, that's no fun.... Mike

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:06 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Making clients laugh?

I sometimes tell them to "make lurve to the camera..." then I tell them they're making me nervous.

Works for the men as well as the ladies. In all fairness you have to pull off a twinkle in the eye when you say this.

The smiley shots are usually the ones when you tell them you give up - and then press the shutter real quick when they relax.

My best shots are often when the client thinks I'm not going to shoot.

It's rarely about the actual moment of the shot - it's usually about the minutes before. Eye contact, friendly face, confidence, and for me - a little bit of flirting Always tongue in cheek. Sometimes there's so much laughing I think we'll never get the shot.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:33 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Making clients laugh?

Hold the camera backwards and upside down during group portraits and say "hey, anyone want to come show me how this photo talking thing works, this is my first time!" Total kneeslapper. Get them all the time.

Jul 19, 2017 at 01:57 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Making clients laugh?

I sure hope these lines work better when said vs when read! Reading some of this shit makes me embarrassed for the photographer.

Jul 19, 2017 at 01:59 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Making clients laugh?

It's definitely all in the delivery. Once you build some rapport, you can get away with cheesy stuff if you want, because the clients are on your side and know what you're trying to accomplish.

Jul 19, 2017 at 02:21 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Making clients laugh?

myam203 wrote:
It's definitely all in the delivery.

This.

Took these photos half hour into the e-session. I could tell the ice was broken. The groom was a little shy. A phD in biology. So I told him he had a wonderfully shaped gluteus maximum in a semi-serious, anthropological way. Got some great laughs out of them.

Each couple is different and that line could have been totally inappropriate with another pair.

What most embarrasses me is when the photographer refers to the bride as "sweetheart" or "gorgeous" or other colloquial diminutives when directing her... drives me INSANE. Use her first name Deuce Bigalow.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Making clients laugh?

I find getting the couple to do something fun/funny is better than trying to act like a comic

Jul 19, 2017 at 01:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password