New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Advice for Utah

monkeyoink

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice for Utah

Planning a trip to Utah in the late fall, planning on visiting Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, and Canyonlands. What are some of the best places/trails within the parks to visit?

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:33 PM
wayneng

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice for Utah

Are you looking for long hikes? Short hikes?

For Zion, I've done the narrows - full day affair and then some but its nice and cool to dip your feet in the water and go. Weeping Rock is also a short hike that's not bad. Court of the patriarchs is a quick grab a picture and move on spot. The watchman is the iconic photo spot a lot of people go to.

For Bryce, I've done Peekaboo loop. It's a nice view of a lot of hoodos with the window at the midpoint of the loop that's pretty cool. The hike back up to the parking lot is super steep though. I don't remember what trail would get you closest to Thor's hammer but make sure you stop by that.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:20 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice for Utah

So you will be here for how long?

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:44 PM
monkeyoink

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice for Utah

ckcarr wrote:
So you will be here for how long?

I'll be there for 2 weeks

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

monkeyoink

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice for Utah

wayneng wrote:
Are you looking for long hikes? Short hikes?

For Zion, I've done the narrows - full day affair and then some but its nice and cool to dip your feet in the water and go. Weeping Rock is also a short hike that's not bad. Court of the patriarchs is a quick grab a picture and move on spot. The watchman is the iconic photo spot a lot of people go to.

For Bryce, I've done Peekaboo loop. It's a nice view of a lot of hoodos with the window at the midpoint of the loop that's pretty cool. The hike
...Show more

Thanks these look to be a good start! Looking for some moderate hikes, nothing overnight or too taxing

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice for Utah

I'm rather fond of slot canyons. Here's a list of potential hikes...
http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/map.html
Some of these are purely 'technical' but many (most) are at least partially accessible by Joe Sixpack and a camera.

Jul 18, 2017 at 01:24 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice for Utah

The Subway in Zion is a FANTASTIC trip - takes the better part of the day. I have done this the last two years, both on November 2, and the fall color more or less is just a tad past peak at ArchAngel Falls. This year i may get the permit for a tad earlier.

La Verkin creek is one i have been wanting to do for several years now, and am going to finally check it out this year. link

Also Cedar Breaks is close (ish) to Bryce/Zion and if it is still open, worth a check

Jul 19, 2017 at 05:31 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice for Utah

You could take the Amtrak California Zephyr from Chicago Union Station right to Green River Utah... That's an adventure in itself.. If you live in the suburbs like Fox River Grove take the commuter train down.

(Just trying to be different than the usual!)

Jul 19, 2017 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password