Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Can we talk? Men, and suits

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

One of the oddest things about modern weddings in men and suits. The vast majority of groomsmen today never wear a suit and have no idea how to be in them. When you look at photos prior to 1970, guys rocked suits. Casual family gatherings had men dressed perfectly and they never 'fought' the tailoring. They always knew to put one hand in a pocket and never (EVER) wrapped their arms around someone else's shoulder.

I just can't believe men don't revolt against this completely outdated fashion. They don't want to wear them, often look bad wearing them, and have no idea what to do in them.

Crazy. Even Dads don't know what to do, because (surprise) it's awkward for them too,

Jul 16, 2017 at 05:10 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I was looking at my wedding pics today from 1993.
My guys and I looked bloody cool in our suits!

They were tailor made rather than off the rack hire crap that most wedding parties have. We had the contrasting handkerchief and the Fob watch on a chain as well.
All of us knew how to wear a suit... how button it properly, unbutton it to sit etc and felt very comfortable. Would have worn a hat too but My Italian mate was already nicknamed the god father and in a hat he would have had people just coming up and giving him protection money mistaking him for a mafia boss.

I had our reception at an upmarket restaurant. I forewarned all my mates and the other male guests that if they were not wearing a suit, they would not be allowed in and gave the venue management the same instruction to enforce that or I would be after them. If our guests couldn't look decent and make an effort for me or more over, my wife for one damn day, they could bugger off.
The feed back we got after was that all the guys enjoyed wearing a suit, several for the first time and were looking forward to wearing them again.

Seemed to work well for the numerous single guys whom caught the attention of the equally numerous single girls and more than one romance was started that night.

I am VERY comfortable in a suit. I get told I am overdressed all the time. No such thing to me unless I have to do manual labor in the backyard or something.
My Brother in law is the same. We turn up to family occasions and never feel uncomfortable, we make everyone else look like crap basically. Got that exact same feedback 3 months ago at a family 21st. Birthday boy said he felt out of place with us and went home and put on something more formal.( and a damn site better than the T shirt he bought for the occasion). Other rels have said they dressed up just so they didn't feel like slobs around us. perfect!

I will grant you often thegroomsmen don't look good in suits.
Last week I saw some pics from an acquaintances wedding.
Holly shit! They looked like something that was in poor taste in the 60's through it's safari suit design not to mention the bright pale blue colour. I'd have felt uncomfortable in that too!
All they needed was the Red nose, the floppy hat and the over size shoes and they could have gone and done Children's parties or Filled in at the Circus!

Had they been put in a classic styled plain black suit they would have looked respectable and dignified, not like something out of an Austin Powers movie!

The thing is, I have done a number of weddings where they don't wear suits and usually they look even more crap. They tend to take things too far ( not that a blue safari suit isn't in the worst of taste) and go too casual and look like they are on their way down the boozer for a Pint on Sunday afternoon.

My Kids school formals required the guys to wear suits and they all looked great in them. Maybe it's an upbringing/ educational type thing? Many of those guys now are tradies/ outdoor hands on types and I see them at 21sts and many of them still wear a suit unless it's fancy dress.

The thing I have always wondered about is the bridesmaids outfits.
It's like some of them are intentionally ridiculous. They Scream " Bridesmaid" because clearly these girls would never be seen dead in anything like that for any other occasion. They talk about going to a club or bar afterwards and none of them would think of going to any other public place without first changing.
Why have something like that??

Our bridesmaids wore a dress of my wifes design and selected fabric that were also tailor made for each girl by her aunt. Black dresses with white Highlights. Simple, elegant, stylish. The girls wore those dresses to other weddings because they liked them so much and knew how good they looked in them.

Why you would want to make your bridesmaids look like Toilet dollys or worse unless you hated them or had a severe inferiority complex, I'll never know.
I'm sure sometimes the girls would rather just be seen walking down the aisle in their underwear than what they do get put in.

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:32 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I wore a hired suit for my wedding 30 years ago.

I looked like a limp biscuit, draped in a grey rag.

My brother wore a "trendy" fashion suit and looked like a Howard Jones disaster from the 80's

When I wore a full dress suit for my sister's wedding, I looked amazing - but nearly passed out in the heat.

You'll not catch me in a suit again unless you pay me extra.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:30 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I wonder when suits evolved?

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I guess if you have to dress like that for every work day and every social function you get more comfortable. Also back then if you slouched or didn't stand up straight as a kid you'd get a clip round the ear! I think suits from back then were likely to be tailored properly or made-to-measure which can influence things as now almost everyone wears off the rack.

I haven't noticed it too much over here in the UK since if you work in an office and aren't a computer programmer you'll probably be in a suit especially in London (women can wear sun dresses and flip flops of course). Americans seem to get spun out with this and I even have to warn American family to bring something to wear if you go out because without shirt/shoes we can't get in to any bars.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:44 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I like suits/black tuxes, I really like black tie affairs. I think they are classy and fun to shoot. I wouldn't want to shoot nothing but black tie affairs but a few times each year is fun. Bond, James Bond, always looked sharpe in a black tux.

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:40 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

rw11 wrote:

They didn't, they were created.

Edited on Jul 16, 2017 at 09:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:40 PM
pendennis

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

rw11 wrote:

The matching coat and trousers came about in the 19th century. Even then, the man's clothing was more coordinated than matched, coats and trousers. For the most part, vests didn't match the other parts.

The 20th century brought about the "real" suit, when men started to wear what we recognize as the modern suit. Tailoring practices for genuinely fitted suits became a specialty, because suits could be mass produced, and men's only vanity item was the necktie. After The Great War, a lot of the men's clothiers grew because Americans brought back certain English and European ideas about dressing. English cuffs were already popular, and French cuffs became a fashion staple. For those not familiar, English cuffs are straight, French cuffs are folded, but both use links.

For the first time, men became clean shaven; beards were out. This was due, in part, to the need for a clean shaven face so gas masks could properly seal.

My grandfather was never rich, but he dressed properly. He spent his money wisely on good quality suits, and wouldn't be caught with his collar unbuttoned, even when temperatures soared into the 90's. And he only wore white shirts.and solid ties.

If you look at films before the '70's, you'll see men wearing suits to sporting events. The death knell sounded when suits got cheap, and made of polyester or poly/wool blends, and stopped fitting properly. Other manufacturing methods included cheapening of trousers, and fusing the chest pleces of the suit coat; even failing to properly vent (or not) the coat.

I'd much rather see men not wearing ties, than wearing them incorrectly. Most can't even tell you how the shirt collar and necktie need to match in proportions, much less how to properly knot a tie. They also have no idea how the two- or three button coast should be buttoned.

Wearing trousers with the proper break at the shoe tops is not hard to do.

As with everything, though, men's clothing evolves.

PS - The last U.S. President to have facial hair was William Howard Taft. Since Woodrow Wilson, all Presidents have been clean shaven.

Okay, rant off.

Jul 16, 2017 at 09:05 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

Because of family archive scanning (both mine and my in-laws), I can assert men used to look good in suits and knew how to stand in them. Watch old movies. Guys walking across a hotel lobby ... one hand in a pocket, keeping the line.

Jul 16, 2017 at 09:59 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

In the 1980's, formal workplaces gave way to casual Fridays and by the 1990's suits were gone. We're 20+ years from them being commonplace in most vocations.

Weddings and funerals are the only times most US men wear them now. The tux rental places don't give guys any sort of rental manual. Fend for yourself.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I went to a private high school and received culture and decorum classes, for instance how to eat salad (lol). I also learned about suits.

I own one good suit and wear it twice a year. I just can't justify spending $500-1000 per suit for each look, and that's cheap.

Tailor made is always the way to go if you have the money.

In the same vein, women that can't walk in heels shouldn't wear them for a wedding either. I've seen this happen in real life, though it wasn't the bride.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:14 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

who wears a suit to shoot in?

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:02 PM
pendennis

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

3catsinky wrote:

When I used to photograph weddings, from the 70's to the 90's, I always wore a suit to shoot weddings. Just learned to dress and be comfortable that way.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:22 AM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

3catsinky wrote:

At higher end affairs I'm usually wearing a well-fitting suit. Clients appreciate it and other vendors usually comment on us being the best dressed photogs they've seen. When you're standing next to the video guy in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt it makes an impression.

But back on topic, it is the worst when the groomsmen's suits are ill-fitting, their ties are too loose and they won't button the top button because "it chokes them". I guess they have to care about how they look in the first place to put effort into making sure the suits fit well. I love it when the groom has a custom made suit- he looks like a GQ spread and makes my job way easier.

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:46 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

S-Man23 wrote:
At higher end affairs I'm usually wearing a well-fitting suit. Clients appreciate it and other vendors usually comment on us being the best dressed photogs they've seen. When you're standing next to the video guy in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt it makes an impression.

Exactly!

I consider it only to be respectful. I am comfortable in a suit and can do what I have to just fine.
I may not wear a tie in Summer but I wear the jacket to the service and into the reception even if I take it off later when the announcement is made the gentlemen may do so.

Many other vendors including more than one reception venue owner /manager has commented to me about looking appropriate and I have had several put me on their preferred shooter list because of it.
They make their waiters wear suits as part of their presentation and when some shooter turns up in jeans or other casual attire, it undermines the prestige and importance of the occasion.

I remember one wedding I did where the couple Implored me not to dress formally, to come as if going to an afternoon BBQ. They were adamant everyone feel comfortable but I never felt so Uncomfortable at a wedding in my life. Of Course most of the older generation came more formally dressed which just made me feel more like a Bum.

I know dressing well goes against current thinking and many people equate suits to straight jackets but I have never found any great hardship or difficulty in wearing one. If people can't cope with a suit, they can wear what they like.
If it's a hot day and I'm sweating, I'm still going to be hot and sweating whether I'm wearing a tailored suit or my birthday suit.

One tends to be more socially acceptable than the other so I go with that.

Jul 17, 2017 at 05:51 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I have always found it odd that a girl will spend thousands on a dress to wear once when guys could continue to wear a great suit for years but go for a hire instead.

My niece is getting married next year and I suggested to her fiancé that he chat with his groomsmen and discuss buying suits and having them fitted.

Even cheaper suits can still look great. I took dad out a couple of weeks ago and we picked him up a wool suit for under $500 at a stocktake sale.

Maybe do a blog post on how to rock a suit.

1. Have it fitted.
2. Don't match the hanky to the tie.
3. Stand tall like someone shoved a carrot up your butt and look like you're enjoying it but just a little.
4. Black and brown don't mix.
5. Leather watch straps when wearing a suit, no nato or metal straps. A silver watch with a white face and leather strap is pretty safe.
6. Add a video on how to do a conventional tie for those going that option. Suggest a tie clip.
7. A few tips on posture, going beyond the carrot.
8. How to pin the flower. From the back of the lapel and up through the stem of the flower then back to the rear of the lapel again. Some pin across the stem and the flower just tips over.

Maybe I missed something. Is Oxfords not Brogues really a fashion thing?

I will say that as much as I find the hipster movement a bit try hard it has taken a number of young men who once had little to no interest in fashion and put it on their radar and I suspect that much will stick.

Edited on Jul 17, 2017 at 03:00 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:53 PM
nagoc50

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

My wife has often observed (we're a husband/wife studio) just how odd the difference with B & G dress can sometimes be -- bride spends thousands on a dress (with mulitple fit sessions) and the groom wears a rented tux complete with elastic straps and buttons to fit the waist. The last time he wore clothing like that was probably when he was a toddler.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:54 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

Chris Fawkes wrote:
I have always found it odd that a girl will spend thousands on a dress to wear once when guys could continue to wear a great suit for years but go for a hire instead.

It's not like the ladies do it any better, though.

I swear half the stress on the wedding day is managing their dress, shoes, makeup, etc.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:26 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

ZachOly wrote:
It's not like the ladies do it any better, though.

I swear half the stress on the wedding day is managing their dress, shoes, makeup, etc.

True. Strapless dresses don't work on many [any?] body types.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:45 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Can we talk? Men, and suits

I really love the ridiculous bright color vests nobody would ever be caught wearing outside of a wedding (well, maybe a prom). Orange — oh, why didn't I think of that?

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password