New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Can you improve my culling? Weddings

ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

Culling method is:

Folder with RAW file dump --> Cull folder inside PM by tagging keepers --> view keepers, select all, move to new folder named "[client] best" --> import "best" folder in LR

I'm having lots of performance issues with PM as of late (previews start blinking, CPU usage spikes) and would prefer to do all this inside LR.

I shoot around 4,000 images per wedding, and I don't want to build previews for all of them - just the keepers

Is there a clean way to do this inside LR?

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:52 PM
ShotByTom
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

First...what is PM??

Second...4,000 images per wedding? That's where I would start culling!

I import to LR, use ratings to select keepers, move them to a new collection, then further use ratings to identify photos to be edited. There are tons of ways to do this in LR, and I'm sure you'll get suggestions as people find this thread.

I then export original Raws to one folder and the collection to another folder.

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

ShotByTom wrote:
First...what is PM??

I'm guessing Photo Mechanic

C

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:24 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

ShotByTom wrote:
Second...4,000 images per wedding? That's where I would start culling!

Yep. I don't shoot weddings for a living but I do shoot them for relatives when asked. Just finished shooting my niece...about 600 images. I can't fathom why one requires 4,000 images from a single wedding.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:54 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

12 hours, two shooters, 48TB NAS.

4,000 images isn't that many.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:44 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

No "clean" way inside LR. But Fastraw Viewer was made especially for you.

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:58 AM
d831
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

ZachOly wrote:
I'm having lots of performance issues with PM as of late (previews start blinking, CPU usage spikes)...

Hey Zach,

Do you know what version of PM you've got installed? Wondering if updating/re-installing would help - latest build number is 18729.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend getting in touch with them for tech support - they've got a great team and are typically quite responsive.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

ZachOly wrote:
Culling method is:

I shoot around 4,000 images per wedding, and I don't want to build previews for all of them - just the keepers

Is there a clean way to do this inside LR?

This is your main hurdle for good clean fast culling in LR . You do need to build a preview set in advance . Preferably 1:1 . You could build a smart preview set as well . Yes building previews for those 4000 images won't be quick . But if you were to do it in samller blocks you'll be able to get LR to be building previews in the background while your culling .

On the occasions I need to cull lots of images I do the above after import and then set LR to show only unflagged images and then go full screen and hit P or X (pick or reject) and then show only rejects and then move them to a rejects folder . Then show picks and select all and unflag all and then go thru what is left on a 2nd much more critical cull .

I've not used that fast raw viewer but for the cost it's probably worth a punt even if you only use it for the 1st cull

Jul 17, 2017 at 06:39 AM
Norm Shapiro
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

If you are using photo mechanic and chimping as you work, then lock or tag the images you like with your camera. Then after you load into photo mechanic select "tagged" photos (haven't used PM for a while but I think that's what it's called). Then if click, or double click on a particular tagged file you will go to it within your whole take so you can see the others taken before and after it. That's why you see a lot of news photographers chimping-some are actually doing a pre edit while working.

Jul 17, 2017 at 07:01 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

I use FS image viewer, view 4 images at a time and delete 0-4 of them as I move through. Goes quite quickly even through hundreds of photos. Even one at a time it's about 2 seconds per image which isn't bad if you're just checking focus.

For long sets of identical images, I view 4 at a time and keep the sharpest one, continually comparing the sharpest one to the next set of 3 until I have kept only one image.

After I have all my keepers I dump them all into ACR and start editing using as many batches as possible.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:02 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

Have you tried using a program such as Inception (v3 or ResNet-v2) or another similar tool to aid in that initial pass? When we do events we can end up with several thousand photos, some of the people in my group have tried this and said the latest versions do a pretty good job at categorizing photos. I haven't had the time to set it up on my computer yet but you might want to take a look at it if you want to save some time.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:20 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

I shoot fewer than 2400 images as I have learned when I actually will need insurance shots (from subject blinking) and take images I expect that the B&G will want in their album or on their walls as prints.

I first copy all the RAW files to both a NAS folder for the client and also to two working drives on my computer that are set up as RAID1. Sometimes a bride will ask about a picture of a specific person that they had forgotten to tell me was important for them to have so having a complete set of everything shot is important.

I sort first by section which corresponds to my source files for the album with individual subfolders for Bride Getting Ready, Groom Getting Ready, Pre-ceremony group shots, Details (which includes venue shots), Ceremony, Group shots, First Dances, General Reception, B&G only shots.

I then do an initial first pass of each folder and quickly decide whether to keep or delete an image from further consideration. I may have multiple files shot in a sequence that are nearly identical and I will pick the one I think is the best and delete the rest.

Next step is to rename and number all the files in a folder so for the First Dances if I have culled it down to 70 image files there will be a FD001 to FD070 for filenames. This way when I hand them to the B&G they are not asking about missing files that I have culled.

I copy the culled folders with the renamed files to the NAS as a backup. I then batch process the files in the folders to create JPG files that I will be giving the B&G to use to make their selection and a sub set to put online for guests to order pictures.

Once I have the selection from the B&G I create a set of subfolders with only those images and then process the files in Photoshop and then use them in my album creation program.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

Do you shoot Canon. For weddings and events before I went to LR I would always pre cull using DPP. Quick check - full screen produces wonderful images. DPP's downsizing algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness - while other applications sacrificed quality for speed. Personally I do not find DPP slow doing this. It goes to the next screen right away when I hit the arrow. I'd advise to use the latest version.

I would just go through them all and hit X for unusable images. Then select Edit - Rating - Select Rejected Images Only. Then select File - Move To Trash.

After I would import to LR. I never used any softwares rating systems .

Jul 25, 2017 at 04:49 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can you improve my culling? Weddings

A typical wedding for me with two shooters averages 2400-2600 images. As soon as I get home I copy images from cards to the computer. At this point it is usually 11pm-1am. I add keywords, import into LR and go to bed. Previews generate while I sleep.

I cull in Library mode using "P" to flag definite keepers, "X" to flag definite rejects", and "U" to not flag. Note a real time-save in LR is to cull with Caps Lock ON. (With Caps Lock on LR moves to the next image automatically when you flag. Try it if you don't already use it)

Using this process I cull a typical wedding in about an hour, a bit more if the image count is high. Once culled I delete the rejects. In Develop mode I filter using the "select" flag so I only see the selects while editing. I edit roughly 850 final images in about 2.5-3 hours.

Once all images and albums have been delivered I select the keepers, move them to a new folder and delete the unselected images, keeping only images that were used.

Aug 08, 2017 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password