New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Watkins and Ricketts for Fall Color

tidalwdave

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Watkins and Ricketts for Fall Color

Hello, I'm thinking of hitting Niagara this fall and then head southish hitting some NY falls and ending in the Watkins and Ricketts area. I'm guessing peak fall color would be first two weeks of Oct? I've never been to Watkins or Ricketts, how many days would you devote to them, or can you hit all the best spots in each in a day (pending good weather)? I'd hit them on a weekday when they open to avoid the crowds as much as possible. Any useful info/tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM
GuyFoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Watkins and Ricketts for Fall Color

Watkins Glen itself is stunning and can be covered in a day, but if you looking for falls, I would continue the arc you would be making from Letchworth through Watkins Glen to Ithaca as well. A friend and I covered Ithaca and Watkins in about 3 days. He spent the previous three in Letchworth.

Ricketts Glen is hard to time. It has the most compact cluster of named falls on the east coast (24), and it is hikeable in a day, but I would allow at least two-three days for photographing it. The 7 1/2 mile walk to see all the falls turns strenuous in spots, but going in the fall will mean cool temps and fewer insects, if not fewer people.

If you are not up to the steep trails, there are some shorter alternatives available, as well as the option of parking a car at the low end and hiking it on two days, covering one fork each day hiking downhill all the way. It's worth the trouble however you walk it!

Jul 17, 2017 at 08:12 PM
tidalwdave

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Watkins and Ricketts for Fall Color

Thanks for the info. Planning on hitting Letchworth and Ithaca during the trip. I'll be driving up from Charlotte NC and starting at Niagara. My travel dates are flexible, so I'll make the drive up just as peak starts. I have ten days to spend, two of those will be spent driving though. I was allocating three days for Watkins and Ricketts, so that seems to agree with what you said. Hiking isn't a big deal, at least not yet

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:14 PM
GuyFoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Watkins and Ricketts for Fall Color

You will really enjoy all those locations! Especially in October, when they are cool as well as kewl. I won't be back from Yellowstone until mid October, but if you are

tidalwdave wrote:
Thanks for the info. Planning on hitting Letchworth and Ithaca during the trip. I'll be driving up from Charlotte NC and starting at Niagara. My travel dates are flexible, so I'll make the drive up just as peak starts. I have ten days to spend, two of those will be spent driving though. I was allocating three days for Watkins and Ricketts, so that seems to agree with what you said. Hiking isn't a big deal, at least not yet

Buttermilk Falls State Park, Ithaca

Buttermilk Falls State Park, Ithaca

Cascadilla Gorge, Cornell University, Ithaca

Watkins Glen

Watkins Glen

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:04 PM
tidalwdave

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Watkins and Ricketts for Fall Color

Nice shots!

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell