Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

TomCruise06

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

Hi FM,

I recently got a 1.4x III extender here in FM. When I received the lens, the inside of the lens had while, salt water/fungus like formation. To confirm I took it to a Biggs Camera store and they confirmed that it is fungus and cleaned it up suggesting me to return it after getting to know that I bought it used.

So I have reached the seller through PM but have not yet got a response. He has not read the PM yet. I do not want to keep it with me for so long. Can I return it back rather than waiting for his response? I paid through PayPal.

Please guide. Thanks for your help.

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

You should immediately report this to PayPal, and initiate a claim (i.e. open a dispute). Sign in to PayPal, select the transaction, use the "Report a problem" link at the lower right, and select the "...it is significantly not as described" option. Don't hesitate. Do it now. PayPal will then take over and handle it for you, regardless of the seller's participation. Your visit to the camera shop will greatly strengthen your case, if it gets to the point that you need an external reference.

It's possible that the seller made a mistake, but it sounds more like a rip-off, to me.

I would not settle for a partial refund or payment for a repair. I would insist on a full refund of the purchase price, plus shipping costs in both directions.

Jul 16, 2017 at 05:22 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

How many days since you PM'ed the seller? People do travel and possibly be off-the-grid.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

Was your PP transaction by bank account or credit card? If by CC, open a dispute. It appears you have the photo store receipt, photos, before and after(?), PM trail.....open one with PP also.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:27 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

lara_ckl wrote:
How many days since you PM'ed the seller? People do travel and possibly be off-the-grid.

People are never off the grid these days. Only when they pretend to be. I can be in remote Canyonlands and might lose a signal for an hour, but then my iPhone reconnects.

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:34 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

ckcarr wrote:
People are never off the grid these days. Only when they pretend to be. I can be in remote Canyonlands and might lose a signal for an hour, but then my iPhone reconnects.

Sure my iphone might connect, but that sure does not mean I'm online with FM.

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:49 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

You are getting emails and you know it. You get FM notifications. Perhaps you are inconsiderate to a buyer of your gear, but I'm not. All you have to do is send a quick not to the buyer to alleviate his/her concerns.

Not sure why I even bother responding to the most argumentative person on Fred Miranda anyway.

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

FM Notifications don't work nowadays. In any case I'd expect anyone involved in a transaction to be checking email or websites and reply within 24 hours, perhaps 48 if on a weekend and you are generous.
I would not start a transaction and then leave the country with no phone service for two weeks for example.

EBH

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:42 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

I routinely (and intentionally) don't check my email for a day or two. It's called living life off of a computer.

I work on the computer all day every week day and often on the weekends... when I go on vacation, my email checking is often an "every other day" thing if not less frequent.

Whether or not I've completed a transaction on FM recently has little bearing on that. It's not like you're emailing the customer service department at B&H. People have lives. People want to spend time with their families or with nature or just unplugged for a day or two. Be patient and give people the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I would go ahead and open a case with PayPal. There's no real harm in that for the seller, he/she'll just be asked to respond.

Jul 18, 2017 at 09:44 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

Danpbphoto wrote:
Was your PP transaction by bank account or credit card? If by CC, open a dispute. It appears you have the photo store receipt, photos, before and after(?), PM trail.....open one with PP also.

It's a really bad idea to open a credit card dispute before you do a PayPal dispute. Once you do a chargeback with your credit card, PayPal will generally cease talking to you and close their own dispute process. You also run the risk of them closing your account.

PayPal has a dispute system, use it... if you don't get satisfaction there, then talk to your credit card company.

A lot of CC companies will also ask you if you exhausted all avenues with the merchant (PayPal in this case)... if you haven't opened a case and let it run its course, you can't truthfully say yes.

Jul 18, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

Also, take a photo of the package (with return address visible) and another one of the receipt showing tracking, ect... Under the transaction details in PayPal there is a spot to request return shipping. Upload both to PayPal and they'll usually refund the shipping. PayPal now allows you 12 free returns under $30 per transaction per year.

Jul 19, 2017 at 05:30 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

@jbregar, et al.,

And in one of the very rare disputes I've had to file in the 71 transactions here, what you have said is entirely true. My CC Co said "Let PP have its say in the matter. If you don't have a favorable resolution, then contact us. If you file a claim with us first, PP will drop off and whatever recourse you have with them will be gone." So, I followed CC advice, PP did it's thing and some few days later, I had my $ back. YMMV

Oh, and as Jim Colwell has said, "file the claim immediately"

Jul 19, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steps to take after I get a lens not as described?

just went through this on eBay - what a nightmare! I opened a case with eBay, and finally got my money back (AND got to keep the lens.)

as others have states, open a case with paypal. the seller will then have 5 days or so to respond

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.