Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

No. Hell no.

I ran into this earlier this year. What started as a couple pics at the reception, turned into getting ready, then 2nd shooting the ceremony, the 15-20 minutes of couples portraits without me. Only difference was she wasn't an amateur, but a legit wedding photog.

Learned my lesson with that one. I now cover it with every client in our first meeting. Cell phones, nothing I can do. You show up with a camera like mine and start getting in the way of me completing my job, problem.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

A cousin of a groom wanted to shoot at a wedding of mine not long after I first started.

He turned up Italian and looking the part with the pro gear. Seemed a decent enough guy but it was still a pain at times till he disappeared halfway through the day,

I'm told he started drinking a local favourite fortified wine with some of the guests till it knocked him out.

Looking back it was quite funny but I would politely decline the offer.

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

I saw two like this as a wedding I was invited to as a guest at the weekend. These two guys shot around 1,500 frames the entire day from many often same angles as the hired photog (I saw the numbers on the ipad when they transferred them). Shooting each one of the groups steed like 4ft from her. She had the patience of a saint.

I think they were just socially just not not good so buried themselves in taking shitty pictures all day and/or were desperate from some kind of validation which is why they transferred them to their ipads showing people.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM
myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

I think it can go either way--good or bad. My second wedding ever had something like a cousin photographer taking over from the very beginning and I had no idea how to assert myself and put a stop to it. Even today, I err on the side of documentary photography and have had people wonder why I'm not practically directing the entire wedding and orchestrating moments throughout. I want to yell, "Chill the hell out and let it happen!"

Mike

Jul 25, 2017 at 01:55 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

myam203 wrote:
Even today, I err on the side of documentary photography and have had people wonder why I'm not practically directing the entire wedding and orchestrating moments throughout.

Winds me up when they expect us to be wedding coordinator/master of ceremonies. If your wedding needs that hire someone.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

azmerm

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

If your personality, temperament, and business approach, doesn't mind helping the cousin build his portfolio with your ideas, possibly being a distraction to you, having guests look at the cousin when they should be looking at you, not caring if the cousin posts on FB all the shots that you setup before you even get home ... go for it !

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:29 PM
Giules

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

I make it very clear (contract) that I won't shoot with other 'professionals', and what the obvious risks of this are. Only thing is, doesn't cover the overzealous Uncle Bob types.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:17 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

No. My suggestion for guests is to be a part of the wedding festivities and celebration.

Linda

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:05 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Your statement straight up says they are looking to hire someone ok with the cousin. Therefore, you have two options. Be ok with the cousin tagging along and booking the wedding or don't book it. Personally I would be ok with it as long as they didn't sit over my shoulder and did their own thing and attempted to stay out of the way. I deal with cell phones, ipads, dslrs, people trying to build a portfolio, and crappy videographers, etc. on a regular basis. With those people I can for the most part say nothing, or they don't care. At least in this instance I could tell the cousin if they were getting in the way.

YMMV

Example of amazing videographers:

Photo Credit Joosay

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password