Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

wvcoach

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

She ask us to shoot her wedding but then she adds this:

So I do have a cousin that is an aspiring photographer and would love to shoot my wedding to help her growing business. I am looking to hire someone that wouldn't mind her tagging along and learning a little bit as well.

My wife and i both shoot and I'm afraid that if we have someone tagging along we might miss something. So she wants to use us to help her cousin to start her business. I'm all for helping someone but i would like to do it in a workshop kinda way, not at a paying customers wedding. Just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:24 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

"Hi Susie!

So great to hear from you! As you know, my wife and I work together as a team. That is a major advantage for us and our clients because we have done this so many times that we know exactly how to work together! I would be concerned that introducing a new member to our team without any trial before would jeopardize our coverage for your day! I would be happy to talk to your cousins before and after the wedding to possible answer any questions she might have, and who knows, maybe at some point she can join our team!?

Let me know your thoughts! Talk soon!

Wvcoach and Mrs Wvcoach"

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:33 PM
wvcoach

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Thats what i told her. Hopefully she will respond. Thanks for the input!

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:38 PM
Jefzor

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

There's already two of you shooting, so that limits the risk of missing something. On the other hands, your customers come first, and any distraction can be annoying during a wedding day. It's your call.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:09 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Ask if you can tag along for the first wedding night.
Explain you want to offer a new service and need sample materials.

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:20 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Hell. No.

They're almost always a distraction in some way or another.

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:33 PM
wvcoach

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

wow great idea..............

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:34 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

I had a 16yo videographer yesterday (cousin of someone in the groom's family). She didn't care to hang out with the bald guy shooting stills much, so she did her own thing. Didn't really get in the way, either. YMMV

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:47 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Sounds like a great opportunity to have a non-paid assistant (that doesn't shoot, of course!). Hopefully they would see the value in that.

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:40 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

She can tag along, carry your bags - but leaves her camera at home.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Props to the bride for being upfront and not just springing this on you at the last second after booking I guess? Always blows my mind that couples will risk the pics of their wedding which is a on-chance thing they have paid thousands for, for some cousin portfolio building.

Annoying, I'd dearly love to say "yes, that will be an extra £xxx" for the extra hassle of babsitting and risk of getting in shots. Then you'll have the joy of this person shooting over your shoulder all day and putting up the images as if they shot the whole wedding.

I guess if you think it matters that much you'll have to lump it and meet with this cousin beforehand with a very to the point briefing about what is and isn't acceptable to de-risk the whole thing.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:56 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Sorry, No.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

glort wrote:
Sorry, No.

Shortest @Glort post ever!

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:57 AM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

As an avowed amateur I've been asked by several friends and relatives to take candids at their reception. My very first act has been to approach the professional, explain the brides request and assure him/her that I would stay well away from whatever they are shooting. The most "professional" professional that I've ever encountered wouldn't leave me alone, constantly calling me over to stand next to him and take similar shots. The least professional was a young lady who pouted and had her second shooter show up on my elbow every time I lined up a shot. I have great respect for the first, the second made me not care if I was in her way or not.

So I guess my recommendation is to let the shooter join you and if she's on your elbow then she won't be flashing in your face and you'll always be the pro that gets rave reviews from both the wannabe and the bride.... Mike

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:45 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Hard situation. I think a lot of it depends on the personalities involved and the type of wedding.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:12 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Hard situation. I think a lot of it depends on the personalities involved and the type of wedding.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:12 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1498885

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:07 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

I hate when there's that "cousin", "friend" or "sister" shooting alongside of me all day.

DRIVES ME NUTS.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

I would say no. The reality is though that if the friend shows up with their camera and lenses and flash there is not anything you can do about it.

I have had many weddings where a friend brings their camera and lens and flash and gets in my way the entire day and causes me and my second photographer to miss shots. They invariably get into the situation with directing the couple and trying to get some very cheesy shots that the friend saw in some bridal magazine.

My second photographer and I work as a team and with each of us taking over two thousand shots during the day I will find at most 2 images where one of us had the other person in the frame.

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:55 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bride wants Cousin to tag along and shoot also.

Once the conversation is had at the begin of the day..... usually no issue.
Help they shot on my cards.
That way I can have some resemblance of quality that is delivered.

Did this for a wedding several weeks ago. I was covering for a friend (double booked).

Mark

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password