New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

silvermesa1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

What are your favorite portrait modifiers for this new strobe. Examples?

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:50 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

The Godox AD-S7 is a nifty little softbox/bd that plugs right into the AD200, but with the addition of an S-type bracket you open yourself up to the world of both Bowens-mount modifiers and Lastolite-style pop-open modifiers. I'm personally partial to the Cheetahstand Ricebowls when I'm doing portraits, but there are a ton of awesome modifiers out there that will give you all types of different looks in all types of situations.

This shot only used the AD200 in a misguided attempt to provide a gelled edgelight, with an AD600 in a 42" Ricebowl as key, however switching the lights would have given an essentially identical result.

C

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:05 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

Chris Court wrote:
The Godox AD-S7 is a nifty little softbox/bd that plugs right into the AD200, but with the addition of an S-type bracket you open yourself up to the world of both Bowens-mount modifiers and Lastolite-style pop-open modifiers. I'm personally partial to the Cheetahstand Ricebowls when I'm doing portraits, but there are a ton of awesome modifiers out there that will give you all types of different looks in all types of situations.

This shot only used the AD200 in a misguided attempt to provide a gelled edgelight, with an AD600 in a 42" Ricebowl as key, however switching the lights
...Show more

Where do you purchase the Godox AD-S7? I can't seem to find it anywhere. There is a similar metal beauty dish, but I like the small fold up one you showed. However, right now, I just use Bowens modifiers in the S-bracket.

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:26 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

Yeah, they seem to be perpetually out of stock at most places. I ended up ordering mine from fleabay.

C

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:40 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

Thanks, ebay it is, and forgot to mention, that is a very nice portrait!

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:15 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

jrscls wrote:
Thanks, ebay it is, and forgot to mention, that is a very nice portrait!

Why, thank you

C

Jul 16, 2017 at 09:14 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

How fast/easy is the AD-S7 to setup on location? Can it be left with the AD200 (with bulb in) attached, diffuser in, and then popped open in under 30 seconds? I already have the 48" Ricebowl which I love but it's fairly slow to setup and cumbersome on location, especially when it's windy. Thanks

Chris Court wrote:

This shot only used the AD200 in a misguided attempt to provide a gelled edgelight, with an AD600 in a 42" Ricebowl as key, however switching the lights
...Show more

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:14 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

It's a brolly box design, so it pops open and closed in just a second or two. Add a few more seconds if you want to add the BD reflector, diffuser or the grid. Remember though, it's only 16" in diameter, so you're never going to get the same quality of light from it that you're seeing from your Ricebowl

Personally I wouldn't leave it attached to the flash, as it snugs down into the head, right up next to the bulb, and I imagine it would be smart to try to avoid leverage forces being applied to that location. If you did choose to leave it permanently attached, however, you're looking at it adding approx 12" to the length of the strobe.

C

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:01 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

I just picked up a AD200 and it works great in a softlighter, the sleeve and brolley mount all seem to line up nicely with the side orientation of the AD200.

What are these ricebowls I see referenced in this thread? Is that slang for an eBay beauty dish?

Jul 18, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

http://www.cheetahstand.com/category-s/2005.htm

C

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:12 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

2 AD200s. Main with Cheetah QW40 BD with diffuser on a Pro-S bracket, AD200 rear with MagGrip and Grid.

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:08 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

My favorite on the go modifier with the AD200 is a toss-up between the Westcott 36" rapid box octa and the 24" Westcott rapid beauty dish. I use the bowens mount versions on the s-type bracket.

They're not cheap, but I think they are worth the cost over the ebay ones because these things are built like tanks.

Jul 28, 2017 at 07:19 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

sungphoto wrote:
My favorite on the go modifier with the AD200 is a toss-up between the Westcott 36" rapid box octa and the 24" Westcott rapid beauty dish. I use the bowens mount versions on the s-type bracket.

They're not cheap, but I think they are worth the cost over the ebay ones because these things are built like tanks.

They look like nice modifiers. Does the AD200 work well in the S-Type/Bowens mount? Would you recommend the Bowens mount for modifiers rather than the Godox mount (AD600M vs AD600BM)?

Anyone have any experience with the Godox AD-S3 beauty dish?

Jul 30, 2017 at 04:36 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

The Ad200 need a special S-Type Bowens mount that has a larger opening. I know Cheetah has one. Probably Adorama does as well but I have not checked. The Bowens mount is much more versatile as there are many modifiers made for this.

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:18 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

There is an easy work around for that which allows the standard S-type mount to work. Google it

Aug 03, 2017 at 02:13 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

pr4photos wrote:
There is an easy work around for that which allows the standard S-type mount to work. Google it

I didn't Google it but a few minutes with a Dremel and some fine sandpaper and the AD200 fits my S-mount like a dream...

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:20 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

I haven't tried the Godox "beauty dish" but I'd say that the westcott Joel Grimes one is the closest to an actual beauty dish as anything else I've used. I have an octa of the same size and they produce a distinctly different quality of light.

I personally would recommend something like a softlighter or a 36" octa over these smaller ~24" ones as the larger modifiers are easier to learn how to use

cheem wrote:
They look like nice modifiers. Does the AD200 work well in the S-Type/Bowens mount? Would you recommend the Bowens mount for modifiers rather than the Godox mount (AD600M vs AD600BM)?

Anyone have any experience with the Godox AD-S3 beauty dish?

Aug 05, 2017 at 09:48 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Favorite portrait modifiers for Evolv 200

This is where I got the Godox AD-S7 equivalent. He seems to have these in stock most of the time:

http://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/qs40wbd.htm

Look around his site, there are a lot of compatible items for the Godox series lights.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.