New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

EF to M43 adapter

eric1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF to M43 adapter

I see that Metabones makes an adapter that auto focuses. Anyone have any experience with this? How well does it work?

Thanks,
Eric

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF to M43 adapter

I have one, and it works very well on my OM-D E-M5s with Canon lenses. I only shoot static subjects with single-shot AF, so I can't comment on continuous AF. It also lets me see the green dot in the viewfinder with my Zeiss lenses.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:25 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF to M43 adapter

There are basically four different options for AF with Canon lenses on M43.

They all work well to varying degrees but it seems to depend on the particular camera/adapter/lens combination and some work better than others.

Your choices are Metabones either a focal reducer (Speed Booster) or non focal reducer and Kipon, again focal reducer or non focal reducer.

I only have the Kipon non focal reducer smart adapter and with my Panasonic GX7 it works very well for AFS with most of the Canon lenses I have tried with it.

I particularly like it with my 40 2.8 STM, 100 f2, Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro and it worked nicely with my previous 135 f2 L.
AFC doesn't work with my camera and the kipon (and it may not work for AFC with any current camera but single AF is very fast and accurate).

The Metabones adapters are a bit more expensive and while I have not tried them (for M43), I believe they work very well though again, maybe not so good for AFC.

I think there are a couple of models of Metabones Speed Boosters too and that some at least might not play well with EF-S lenses but I am not certain. The non focal reducer ones shouldn't have any issue with EF-s lenses.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:30 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF to M43 adapter

Metabones!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N04/albums/72157659863679710

C-AF is not really an option, but S-AF is very good and very accurate. Also tried a friend's* Commlite and it was sort of OK with some lenses, totally useless with others.
The Metabones worked with everything we put on it. No idea about Kipon.

*He has a whole collection of Canon and Sigma/Canon lenses. I did not make a record of which ones didn't work with the Commlite because I wasn't interested in it.

There have been a number of threads here on this very subject, like:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1469941/0?keyword=metabones#13878043

Jul 15, 2017 at 08:39 AM
eric1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF to M43 adapter

Thanks for the replies people. I've ordered one, and a 300 f4. I'll let you know how it works out.

eric

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password