Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

Disturbing

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:37 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

For those who may think that the MagSphere softens the light quality.

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:44 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

Nice comparison, the last one to me, though I am a vintage, trendy natural available light photographer, you know !

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:43 PM
tgillespie
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

InSanE wrote:
Disturbing

Whats disturbing?

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:16 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

tgillespie wrote
Whats disturbing?

Head on a plate photography

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:22 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

InSanE wrote:
Head on a plate

It wouldn't be the first time, according to history.

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:17 PM
NCBY

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

MRomine wrote:
For those who may think that the MagSphere softens the light quality.

This is usually a fairly well-informed crowd; I doubt many here expect magic from this kind of modifier.
But on the MagMod community Facebook page, I constantly see people using this outside in situations where you would expect a bare flash or an umbrella. And they'll get irritated if you question whether it really makes the light softer at that distance. Mind you, that's certainly not a dig at Spencer or anyone at MagMod, they've got great products and market them accordingly. People will always be looking for the silver bullet.

Any of you using MagMod modifiers at weddings (apart from the gels and grids)?

Jul 19, 2017 at 08:43 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

NCBY wrote:
This is usually a fairly well-informed crowd; I doubt many here expect magic from this kind of modifier.
But on the MagMod community Facebook page, I constantly see people using this outside in situations where you would expect a bare flash or an umbrella. And they'll get irritated if you question whether it really makes the light softer at that distance. Mind you, that's certainly not a dig at Spencer or anyone at MagMod, they've got great products and market them accordingly. People will always be looking for the silver bullet.

Any of you using MagMod modifiers at weddings (apart from
...Show more

Also at 4' the light source is to close to the subject to notice much difference with the modifier on it other than the grid.
Softening light sources is due to the size of the light source and the distance to the subject.
4' away is point blank range essentially. I wouldn't expect the magsphere to do much at 4' from the subject.

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:53 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

hardlyboring wrote:
Also at 4' the light source is to close to the subject to notice much difference with the modifier on it other than the grid.
Softening light sources is due to the size of the light source and the distance to the subject.
4' away is point blank range essentially. I wouldn't expect the magsphere to do much at 4' from the subject.

Would you expect more at greater distance? It is still a point light source. If my understanding is correct, the "effectiveness" of modifiers like the magsphere is more dependent upon adjacent surfaces for light to bounce off of (ceiling, walls, etc.), or conversely, in the context of a wider shot. Much like the difference between a narrow beam recessed light vs a lamp on an end table.

Jul 20, 2017 at 05:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

BSPhotog wrote:
Would you expect more at greater distance? It is still a point light source. If my understanding is correct, the "effectiveness" of modifiers like the magsphere is more dependent upon adjacent surfaces for light to bounce off of (ceiling, walls, etc.), or conversely, in the context of a wider shot. Much like the difference between a narrow beam recessed light vs a lamp on an end table.

If the sphere was further away I def. think you would see a difference in softness of light. Maybe not like if you were using a large soft box but it would make a bigger difference. Being so close the light does not have much time to spread out and diffuse itself.

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:17 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

NCBY wrote:

Any of you using MagMod modifiers at weddings (apart from
...Show more
When I edit for other photographers....
I have seen the sphere in action during reception. pretty much send light everywhere... killing ambient.
The subject tends to get flat lit.

So.... boring, blah lighting at a reception. Sure the subject is lit...but so is the rest of the room.

I do have a fellow shooter who I shoot and discuss photo bus monthly... he likes the look of the sphere+grid.
We will see if he gets there.

I would rather use a umbrella-softbox or a grid'd light source for out side in a wedding scene.
but thats just me.

-Mark

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:40 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

sphere+grid is a bizarre combo

any reason to use that?

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:43 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

hardlyboring wrote:
If the sphere was further away I def. think you would see a difference in softness of light. Maybe not like if you were using a large soft box but it would make a bigger difference. Being so close the light does not have much time to spread out and diffuse itself.

Actually Ben is correct, the sphere is simply a point source of light and no matter how far you move it away from the subject the shadow edges will be the same, a hard sharp edge. See samples below where I have moved the light to 8' away (doubled the distance).

The only way that the sphere will produce a soft light with soft shadows would be to move it to within a few inches away and only if your subject is smaller than your light source or in this case the MagSphere.

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

ZachOly wrote:
sphere+grid is a bizarre combo

any reason to use that?

Yes, it creates a brighter center with a gradual light fall-off, because the sphere spreads the light after it passes through the grid. The shadow edge is still hard like it is with just the grid or with no modifier.

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:36 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

It would be easier to see the differences if the WB stayed the same.

I can hardly tell the difference between any of these.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

ZachOly wrote:
It would be easier to see the differences if the WB stayed the same.

I can hardly tell the difference between any of these.

The WB is the same, the MagSphere is warning the photos. I mentioned that in the first post. The MagSphere is not totally neutral.

Really the WB should have no effect on what you are seeing. What you want to look at is the shadow created by the nose.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:28 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

Weird that they would design a modifier like that and not make it more color neutral, though.

I'm curious from anyone using the sphere + grid setup, what the application is? Certainly not up on a light stand, no? Is it a speedlight in your left hand and camera in your right hand run-and-gun kind of thing?

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:11 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

BSPhotog wrote:
Weird that they would design a modifier like that and not make it more color neutral, though.

I din't realize that it was doing this until this test. In fairness I've had mine for a 1.5->2 years. Maybe it has yellowed since I got it.

BSPhotog wrote:
I'm curious from anyone using the sphere + grid setup, what the application is? Certainly not up on a light stand, no? Is it a speedlight in your left hand and camera in your right hand run-and-gun kind of thing?

Those who are doing this are putting it on a light stand or a pole. It does create a nice gradual falloff of the light intensity. I've seen it used on lots of couple's shots outside.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Comparison - Bare Flash, MagSphere, MagSphere + MagGrid

I am exposing for the ambient light and only use flash to fill in the eye sockets or add a catchlight or for backlighting.

Where I will use the full output from the flash is when photographing a group indoors or outdoors. Outdoors I use a reflector so as to get as much light output as possible. Indoors I shoot bare bulb as the light bouncing around the room provides a very natural look for the people and allows for a much looser posing setup, like having people around a piano for example.

Modifiers can reduce the output from the flash by 50 to 85 percent and that is OK in a studio setting but not for most location shooting situations. Worst part is the longer recycle time as this precludes doing 2-3 shots and having more than one image for a key moment.

Jul 21, 2017 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password