Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Fun Friday topic time ... what is the one (or few) best pieces of advice you've received related to your sports photography. Can be very specific or very general.

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:27 PM
FaulknersFoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

I never realized it until someone told me, but it's better at high ISOs to overexpose just a tiny bit because it's easier to bring down exposure and/or highlights than it is to push the shadows, especially at those high ISOs. I mean, looking back it makes sense, but I probably never would have figured it out on my own.

On a separate note, general positioning and what to look for in different sports was very helpful when I was starting out, as well as learning about the three actions; action, reaction, and interaction, that help make more powerful photos.

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:37 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

1) Any idiot with a DSLR can freeze the action. One truly great picture is worth more than 1,000 standard frozen action shots. Constantly take risks.
2) When in doubt take it out. Only show your best work.
3) We all overvalue our photos

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:15 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Constantly take risks would have to be up there.

Go outside your comfort zone: I am not good at panning shots, but I am still trying.

Listen to your customers and not other photographers.

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:17 PM
krug
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Never blame your kit.

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Shoot tight, crop tighter.

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:00 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

1) Get it right in the camera;
2) Shoot tight;
3) Check you backgrounds;
4) Eyes are the window to the soul;
5) Get a day job because this isn't going to pay the mortgage (or, these days, the pizza bill)

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:20 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

On the theme of shooting/cropping tight -- I got great advice from a smalltown newspaper photographer who covered a lot ill-attended games ...

"The smaller the crowd -- the bigger the lens."

Empty seats sap energy from action photos -- you can hear the sucking sound from each and every empty chair. And a wild, sold-out venue can make standard photos look great.

Jul 14, 2017 at 05:12 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Shoot solid for a year. Pick out your ten best photos as your "portfolio". Shoot 5 more years and pick out your ten best from the photos you shot in year five. The worst one of that second set will still be better than the best one from your first set. The point is to keep shooting, keep shooting, and keep shooting.

Jul 14, 2017 at 05:28 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

1. Just about anything P Alesse says.

2. But one thing he posted has honestly made a bigger impact on my development than anything else, books and classes included, was a quick post processing recipe he posted years ago. Just a quick crop/levels/unsharp mask combo. I threw in some shortcut keys and can now tidy up a photo in under 5 seconds. It really was a tipping point in my photography.

Marty

Jul 14, 2017 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

I'm not so fortunate to have one but, get a big prime i.e 300 2.8. The big glass will put your photos in a whole nother class.

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:28 AM
Lars Thomas

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Marty (or PA), care to elaborate on settings you are referring to?

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:09 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

As with sports, the key is PRACTICE. Shoot, review, learn, REPEAT.

Matt

Jul 15, 2017 at 02:27 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Be sure to spell the word photographer correctly? Sorry, couldn't resist

I would have to divide the question into two parts, with one being from the photography side and one being from the business side, I'll stick with 4 each.

Photography:
1) Shoot through the play
2) Shoot low
3) Shoot tight
4) Make friends and don't piss people off

Business:
1) Make friends and don't piss people off
2) Do nice things for other people
3) Don't shoot for free (yes, I have made exceptions)
4) Do not get caught up in the latest greatest gear concept

The "Make friends and don't piss people off" and "Do nice things for other people" have helped me to earn more money than all of the other things I have done (combined). It has also allowed me to spend time with some kick ass photographers and companies that have greatly helped me to improve photography wise.

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:29 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

-----
I fully agree with this and I recently heard an interesting take on the "never work for free" concept. It's ok to work for no pay on occasion -- but be darn sure in those instances that you are working for "value." That means you see a clear path from your short-term investment to a viable return on that investment at a later date.

We do this all the time in our personal lives and those who have non-photography day jobs do it consciously and unconsciously at work all the time. I don't know why it would be any different with photography.

Most here know that selling action sports shots at the high school level is at best a pretty lousy business proposition. In most cases it's a money loser when you do the honest math. But it's also one of the best ways possible to drive your senior portrait and family photo businesses. I'd argue that the $500 you lose shooting sports (for free/at a loss) is money well spent on marketing.

Edited on Jul 16, 2017 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:51 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

PureMichigan wrote:
-----
I fully agree with this and I recently heard an interesting take on the "never work for free" concept. It's ok to work for for no pay on occasion -- but be darn sure in those instances that you are working for "value." That means you see a clear path from your short-term investment to a viable return on that investment at a later date.

We do this all the time in our personal lives and those who have non-photography day jobs do it consciously and unconsciously at work all the time.
...Show more

What he said, very well put! There have been MANY times I have done something free/too cheap/whatever anticipating a large return on the investment of my time. 90% of the time it works, but I'm picky about who I do it for.

Right now a large percentage (too much, in fact...working on that) of my income is coming from a very large commercial client that I "helped out" a few times in the past. There was some management turnover that wanted to change their marketing/branding/photography and they had absolutely no budget for it for a few months. Did a few easy things for them, they loved it, and they actually contacted me for numbers for their current budget. They also "made good" on the stuff I helped them out with.

Just thought of another recent instance where I shot something basically on spec which A) Turned into my regular day rate and B) Got me hooked up with two large international clients who are already doing a decent amount of business with me. One of the few times my images really kicked you know what

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:03 AM
artyphoto

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

Don't loan anything out that you can't live without (We weren't talking photo equipment at the time but it works).

Jul 16, 2017 at 04:48 AM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

I don't shoot professionally so with that in mind:

1. Don't expect to be able to fix everything in post processing (crap in, crap out).

2. Learn to use what you own. Better and fancier gear does not make one a better photographer.

3. You can and probably should give some photos away for free, but do NOT make it a habit.

4. Help people when you can / be nice. If a younger photographer needs a quick question answered, answer it. None of use were born knowing everything.

5. If you love what you do, don't complain about the hours, the grime, grit or low pay. Be grateful you are able to do what you love.

Jul 16, 2017 at 09:34 AM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

To add to was cocodillo and PAlesse said...

1. Remember this is a business so treat it that way.

2. Most of are not as smart as we think we are..

3. When you screw up in the middle of an event, get over it quickly because is you are still beating yourself up on that last missed play you will likely miss the next big play too.

4. Never stop thinking because things are always changing.

Jul 18, 2017 at 04:46 AM
Bloom

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Advice You've Received as a Sports Photgrpaher

A photographer is like a golfer you need the right club/Lens to get the shot.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password