Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

judsonzhao
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   Hasselblad 500C/M with CF Planar 100/3.5 and CF 50/4 FLE

Sold

Price: $1,250.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 8+ Shows moderate wear or finish marks
Shipping instructions: USPS

Alright. Wasn't thinking this is coming this quick, but here they are.

Have them for about 3 years, haven't used as much as I want. Camera is not in the best cosmetic condition but damn is it beautiful. Has some paint lost and signs of age, but nothing major, no dents/burns/tears or so, just aging.
As the photo shows, it has Acute Matte D focus screen, a ridiculously expensive piece of screen, but anyways, it's in there.

Not your typical 80mm kit lens! lol

The Planar 100 has to be one of the sharpest lens among all V series. It's mind blowing..
This lens is in newer condition (I acquired separately), only minimal paint lost. Glass is pristine.

The 50mm appears to be older, have bit more paint lost but in overall great condition. Glass is pristine. Lens was service 2 years ago, works great and is my to-go lens, never let me down.

A12 back has matching S/N

Will throw in off market hoods for both lens, not great fit but does the job.

Would love to sell them all together, first, it's convenient; second from my humble bigoted opinion, this the best set to go with V-series.
But feel free to let me know if you just want some pieces of it.

Edit: CF 100 sold
$1250 for the rest

Edited on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:14 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:15 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

I have the Sony FE 90 and have the opportunity to buy a Classic 100 at a good price.

I am aware of the differences in specification between these two lenses and understand the impact they have on usage.

Here is my question for users of both:

What is the real difference in rendering between these two lenses if they are stopped down a bit?

The Zeiss certainly generates dreamy images at f/2 but most macro images do not lend themselves to the associated dof.

In practical terms - Once you stop the Zeiss down a bit does it remain a compelling purchase if one owns the Sony?

Or is it a matter of Zeiss magic that is hard to put into words?

Any insights appreciated.
 Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   Hasselblad 500C/M with CF Planar 100/3.5 and CF 50/4 FLE

Sold

Price: $1,250.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 8+ Shows moderate wear or finish marks
Shipping instructions: USPS

Alright. Wasn't thinking this is coming this quick, but here they are.

Have them for about 3 years, haven't used as much as I want. Camera is not in the best cosmetic condition but damn is it beautiful. Has some paint lost and signs of age, but nothing major, no dents/burns/tears or so, just aging.
As the photo shows, it has Acute Matte D focus screen, a ridiculously expensive piece of screen, but anyways, it's in there.

Not your typical 80mm kit lens! lol

The Planar 100 has to be one of the sharpest lens among all V series. It's mind blowing..
This lens is in newer condition (I acquired separately), only minimal paint lost. Glass is pristine.

The 50mm appears to be older, have bit more paint lost but in overall great condition. Glass is pristine. Lens was service 2 years ago, works great and is my to-go lens, never let me down.

A12 back has matching S/N

Will throw in off market hoods for both lens, not great fit but does the job.

Would love to sell them all together, first, it's convenient; second from my humble bigoted opinion, this the best set to go with V-series.
But feel free to let me know if you just want some pieces of it.

Edit: CF 100 sold
$1250 for the rest

Jan 24, 2018 at 07:35 PM
judsonzhao
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

Planar 100 sold

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM
mike158158

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

pm sent

Jul 17, 2017 at 05:36 PM
judsonzhao
• •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

50mm sold, body only

Jul 30, 2017 at 01:33 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

The Zeiss 100 MP certainly isn't "dreamy" at any aperture. It's very sharp with great pop from wide open. I don't see a lot of difference stopped down, other than DOF, of course.

Jan 24, 2018 at 07:53 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

This is wide open:

orchid unknown 9337 by Danny Burk, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2018 at 07:55 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
The Zeiss 100 MP certainly isn't "dreamy" at any aperture. It's very sharp with great pop from wide open. I don't see a lot of difference stopped down, other than DOF, of course.

You're right; very poorly worded.

I meant: Sharp wide open with dreamy bokeh.

If you stop it down a bit is it very different than the 90?

Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

I haven't used the 90 - no interest in the latter personally, since I'm happy with the 100 and I don't want FBW. Speaking only of the 100, though, it's Otus-like in that it gives similar results** at any aperture, other than DOF. Completely different from some older Zeiss designs as the 50/1.4 Z*, which is indeed dreamy with unique bokeh wide open, but becomes very sharp when stopped down a couple of stops.

**Well, it's dissimilar in that it has purple fringing for the first few stops in certain situations, but I'm not counting that as part of its normal rendering.

Jan 24, 2018 at 07:59 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

The Sony 90/2.8 G macro has much less LoCA than the Zeiss 100/2. I'm very happy with my 90/2.8 G and would not go for the Zeiss 100/2 macro in this case. Zeiss needs to update the optics of the 100/2 macro to get much better control of LoCA. I have previously owned the Zeiss 100/2 macro and sold it. I find fbw to work well, and you can use a classic version of it with a focus scale on the lens. The 90/2.8 G has a focus hold button, which can be programmed for e.g. eye AF.

Jan 24, 2018 at 08:29 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

bjornthun wrote:
The Sony 90/2.8 G macro has much less LoCA than the Zeiss 100/2. I'm very happy with my 90/2.8 G and would not go for the Zeiss 100/2 macro in this case. Zeiss needs to update the optics of the 100/2 macro to get much better control of LoCA. I have previously owned the Zeiss 100/2 macro and sold it. I find fbw to work well, and you can use a classic version of it with a focus scale on the lens. The 90/2.8 G has a focus hold button, which can be programmed for e.g. eye AF.

Thanks. So many great photographers (Danny included) use the Zeiss 100 that I have been curious as to how compelling it was at this point in time.

From a feature standpoint there is no comparison.

Curious to know if the Zeiss had a certain "je ne sais quoi' that should be considered.

Jan 24, 2018 at 08:54 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

I have owned the Zeiss in the past and currently do not have a 1:1 macro. You undertand that the Zeiss only goes to 1:2 and the Sony goes to 1:1 correct? If I were choosing a dedicated macro lens, the Sony would likely get my nod. I think it is better corrected than the Zeiss and even the Leica R 100 apo macro lenses. Check out Jim Kasson's excellent blog. For example, this post:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/focus-shift-and-loca-in-the-sony-902-8-fe-macro/

Incidentally, if you don't need autofocus or 1:1, if you have not looked at the Voigtlander 65/2 apo-lanthar, it is another worthy lens to consider and per Jim Kasson's testing, a bit better corrected and sharper than even the Sony Macro if memory serves.

Jan 24, 2018 at 08:59 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

Luvwine wrote:
I have owned the Zeiss in the past and currently do not have a 1:1 macro. You undertand that the Zeiss only goes to 1:2 and the Sony goes to 1:1 correct? If I were choosing a dedicated macro lens, the Sony would likely get my nod. I think it is better corrected than the Zeiss and even the Leica R 100 apo macro lenses. Check out Jim Kasson's excellent blog. For example, this post:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/focus-shift-and-loca-in-the-sony-902-8-fe-macro/

Incidentally, if you don't need autofocus or 1:1, if you have not looked at the Voigtlander 65/2 apo-lanthar, it is another worthy lens to consider and
...Show more

Thanks for weighing in Stephen. I am aware of the difference in magnification.

I have long had a list of "dream lenses" that have sat in a .txt file for a very long time.

The Zeiss 100 has been on that list since day one and I am not getting younger......

I have been wondering if it should remain there given my ownership of the 90 as I have been considering its purchase recently.

Frankly; outside of macro I have no real need for the Zeiss as I would prefer an AF lens for most uses in that focal range.

Jan 24, 2018 at 09:15 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

DaveFP wrote:

I have long had a list of "dream lenses" that have sat in a .txt file for a very long time.

The Zeiss 100 has been on that list since day one and I am not getting younger......

I have been wondering if it should remain there given my ownership of the 90 as I have been considering its purchase recently.

Frankly; outside of macro I have no real need for the Zeiss as I would prefer an AF lens for most uses in that focal range.

Well, as we all know, the only true cure for GAS is to buy the lens! If it is a dream lens for you (and a very fine lens it is!) then who am I to dissuade you? Buy one and you can always sell at little loss later (if bought used).

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:22 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

There was a rumor late last year of a Voigtlander macro coming out this year. Not sure how real that rumor is or when.

Edit: here it is...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-voigtlander-working-new-125mm-f2-macro-11-fe-lens/

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

The 100MP is definitely a masculine lens that turns out strong images. It ranks high in many serious users' lists of best ever CZ lenses, and was the standout of the entire ZE/ZF series. The difference between these two contenders is the reason people shoot Zeiss lenses. If you don't see it after you have viewed 100 images, buy the Sony and be happy; it is a fine technical lens.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:35 AM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

the LoCa is what made me give up on the 100mp on an A7RII body. I loved this lens on lower mp bodies but it just looked worse on the 42mpx body. The 90G was cleaner with regard to LoCa but kind of sterile. I have a 135/2 ZF now... extremely sharp and beautiful colors at the cost of much bigger size, only a 1:4 native reproduction (I use tubes to get closer) and longer FL. I would buy an APO version of the 100/2MP in an instant. Was really disappointed that it only got a body do-over as a Milvus.

Jan 26, 2018 at 02:09 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

morpheus2891 wrote:
the LoCa is what made me give up on the 100mp on an A7RII body. I loved this lens on lower mp bodies but it just looked worse on the 42mpx body. The 90G was cleaner with regard to LoCa but kind of sterile. I have a 135/2 ZF now... extremely sharp and beautiful colors at the cost of much bigger size, only a 1:4 native reproduction (I use tubes to get closer) and longer FL. I would buy an APO version of the 100/2MP in an instant. Was really disappointed that it only got a body do-over as a
...Show more

Thanks - I have the 135 ZE myself.

What tubes do you use?

I have the Kenko. Canon's any better I wonder.....

Jan 26, 2018 at 02:27 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

DaveFP wrote:

I was in a pretty similar situation as you: The MP100 has a very good reputation and it is one of the sharpest lenses around. So I got one and kept it for about a year. This review is the result of that. For me it didn't really work as well as I had hoped. Sure it is very sharp with nice bokeh and has that high macro-contrast/quick focus transition look from f/2 which makes some subjects stand out so I got some pretty nice images out of it. But at the same time I often had to worry about the CA and handling wasn't great since it is a bit heavy for the a7 series, the focus ring has a rather short throw and isn't as smooth as I would have wished for. So in the end I sold it and I haven't really missed it.

Since then I have owned the FE90 Macro for a longer time and I enjoyed shooting with it more than with the Zeiss even though I am biased to manual lenses. CA correction isn't perfect but it is among the better corrected lenses and for real macro work native 1:1 is worth quite a lot. The Sony is really really sharp at close distances.

The lens I kept in the end is the CV65 APO.
  • First it is a native lens so you don't have to deal with an adapter and you get exif and automatic OSS settings.
  • Second it is sharper that the MP100 (which is quite some feat) with nearly perfect CA correction. As the MP100 it can makes subjects stand out.
  • Third it is much more enjoyable to use because it is shorter, lighter and better balanced with a smoother focus ring.
    If my focus was on macro I would probably have kept the FE90 but as it is I am really happy to have 1:2 when I need it occasionally but most of the time I use it at longer distances and I am always happy with the results.

• Jan 26, 2018 at 02:37 PM
    DaveFP
    • • • •
    p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sold: Hasselblad 500C/M with CF 50/4 FLE

Thanks Phillip; appreciate the input.

As stated earlier this lens has been on my shortlist for a long time but I just haven't been sure if it should remain given the fact that I have the FE 90 and recently purchased the 135 ZE (at a big discount).

I have read all the reviews of the CV 65. Its Apo abilities are certainly attractive; especially since the 135 has taught me just how valuable that characteristics is.

Thanks again; I enjoy your reviews a great deal.

Jan 26, 2018 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.