Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Wuming

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

I'm trying to plan a 2-3 week trip between Dec 20th to Jan 10th. I'm mostly interested in shooting landscape (mostly on road trip) and I have been to Australia, Alaska and all major national parks in western US (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah and Wyoming).

I heard a lot of good things about Patagonia but it seems that the best time to go is April. I'm not sure if it's worth going around Christmas time.

I also thought about Hawaii, New Zealand and Lofoten Island, but haven't really done enough research on those.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Jul 14, 2017 at 04:30 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Utah is PHENOMENAL during those months. You get to enjoy the national parks with not many people and can enjoy solitude but still be car based. Also hotel rates are really reasonable. Ive also stayed in Jackson, WY in February and the rates were like $90 a night. Same one right now is $350 a night.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Wuming

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

I just visited Utah in May this year and it was amazing. I'd like to explore some other places this winter though.

Jul 14, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Dustin Gent wrote:
Utah is PHENOMENAL during those months. You get to enjoy the national parks with not many people and can enjoy solitude but still be car based. Also hotel rates are really reasonable. I've also stayed in Jackson, WY in February and the rates were like $90 a night. Same one right now is $350 a night.

The higher elevation destinations such as Bryce do get dang cold. But the lower, warmer parks (Zion, Kodachrome, Snow Canyon, Coyote Buttes, etc. often enjoy mild 50+ degree days that are just perfect for hiking. With luck, you'll arrive a few days after a front has passed, leaving puffy clouds and warmish days in its wake.

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:27 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

I go to Kauai every year and the landscape / seascape opportunities never cease to amaze. If you like hiking, you would love this island.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Many of the Southwest locations that are dangerously hot this time of year are quite comfortable that time of year. Note that higher elevation locations in the area can still be closed out or have restrictions due to snow/storms or seasonal closures. Popular locations, like Death Valley or those near Las Vegas or snowbird havens may be crowded and Vegas can be extremely crowded around the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

^^&
This. Pretty much all of Socal, AZ, NM, Southern Utah. White Sands can be great in winter. Some of these locations get moderately cold (10-20F) so you need to be prepared.

If you are not afraid of the extreme cold the Canadian Rockies are easily accessible mostly by car with fairly limited showshoeing.

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:43 AM
Timphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Another vote for Kauai. The Kalalau Trail on the north shore is epic! I'd combine it with one or two of the other islands.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:59 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Wuming wrote:
I'm trying to plan a 2-3 week trip between Dec 20th to Jan 10th. I'm mostly interested in shooting landscape (mostly on road trip) and I have been to Australia, Alaska and all major national parks in western US (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah and Wyoming).

I heard a lot of good things about Patagonia but it seems that the best time to go is April. I'm not sure if it's worth going around Christmas time.

I also thought about Hawaii, New Zealand and Lofoten Island, but haven't really done enough research on those.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

South Africa, if you haven't visited yet. Been there last year during christmas, and it was a blast. Lots of beautiful landscapes there. Going back this year (same period, but now to visit the kalahari).

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:01 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where to go in Late December/ Early January for landscape?

Forget about Hawaii in the winter as you will encounter a great deal of rain. Patagonia would be my first choice. Temperatures will highest in December and January in the region. Good time to spend time in Buenos Aires as well.

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:10 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password