Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

KINGOFKNGS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

Is anyone aware of any drop in filters for sun/eclipse photography? I've generally not done anything with my filter on my 600 but would like to photograph the eclipse with it. Can I purchase a gelatin insert to put into a filter? Any ideas where?

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

It would be very very dangerous to try a drop in filter of any kind for Solar viewing, and you absolutely must not do it. Just like the dangerous idea of using any rear filter behind a telescope or camera or lens, a drop in would have extreme energy near to being in focus on the filter, and it would likely fail after some period of time, exposing your eye or your camera to high levels of IR, visible, and UV energy. The UV is the most dangerous, and can cause irreversible eye damage very quickly. Please everyone be safe out there.

You want a front Solar filter, and one that is certified to meet safety standards for Solar filters. For the 600, they can be had for around $100 from many sources. A company called Thousand Oaks is a long term standard for Solar filters. There are other filter manufacturers, and a company called Baader makes quality front filters using their special Solar film. Those Baader products are sold by many suppliers.

Please check out an authoritive source on safety for Solar viewing, and understand better the risks. Also look for information on Eclipse photography by looking on the web, or getting a book, or getting the very good eBook by Alan Dyer on Eclipse Photography. There are tons of resources to help.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:26 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

+ 1,000 to Roland's advice.
Drop in filter is a very bad idea.
Properly certified solar filters MUST be at the very front of your optical instrument.

You should start practicing very soon. All kinds of silly stupid things go wrong which are easy to fix, but not before the eclipse is over.

Dyer's e-book is amazing. Consider it required reading. He has a nice blog too.

Jerry over at astropix.com has some solar eclipse blog information. His is a bit more technical and assumes much of the information in Dyer's ebook.

Jul 14, 2017 at 06:28 AM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

No! Drop in solar filters do not and should not exist. A solar filter should ALWAYS be in front of ALL elements.

Jul 14, 2017 at 08:28 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

You want a
Baader ASTF 140 AstroSolar Telescope Solar Filter

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM
KyleSchroeder
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

You NEED a front-mounted filter. Film filters made by Baader are the most popular among us astronomers.

I recommend the ASSF line of filters by Baader. Agena Astro has them in stock. I just ordered one for my lens. You could also just by a sheet of film and make the filter yourself by mounting it to cardboard, which is a little cheaper.

Link to ASSF lineup: http://agenaastro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=baader+assf

Link to film sheets: http://agenaastro.com/solar-astronomy/white-light-solar-filters/solar-film-sheets/shopby/baader_planetarium.html

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

Is welding glass out of the question?

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

Jon Joshua wrote:

Yes, one of the most dangerous things you could try - unless you want to be forced to learn a new written language: Braille...

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

Jon Joshua wrote:

Number 14 welders glass is fine for visual viewing, but I would never attempt to use it as a filter.

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:04 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

Thanks for all of the excellent replies! It makes perfect sense now, but I hadn't considered it to start with (obviously)!

Jul 14, 2017 at 06:35 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

I have a premade ASSF filter for a smaller lens.
If you want the same baader solar film in a premade filter for a 600mm II, then it's called an ASTF.
They are also both the same as the rolled sheets you can use to construct your own. I found out I'm not that crafty.

Jul 14, 2017 at 07:20 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Supertele eclipse drop in filter???

charlyw wrote:
Yes, one of the most dangerous things you could try - unless you want to be forced to learn a new written language: Braille...

Do not confuse oxyacetylene goggles with with glass used in welding hoods. I and several others safely used a welding hood to view a partial eclipse working in the steel mills. Oxyacetylene goggles will just fry your eyes.

As a child I used a large cardboard box with a pinhole facing the sun. Local grocery stores were saving boxes for kids. This is the safest way to view the eclipse.

I understand the Adler Planetarium will have viewing stations in Chicago. I think I saw where the Weather Channel(?) will broadcast the eclipse live. This will probably be the best seat in the house.

I have no desire to risk a camera, lens or my eyes trying to get a photo. Much safer to crank the A/C and watch on TV.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.