New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Big smile

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big smile

Ok, sorry folks but here we go again.

I'm having my normal trouble figuring out the correct WB for this shot and would like to hear which of these looks correct to you.

Each have been titled for the WB used as processed in LRcc.

The one titled Snowy WB was derived from another shot I had taken of a snowy just a few moments later and in almost exactly the same spot which was in full shade late afternoon light. I used the snowy to set the WB then used the same WB for this shot. To me, that one looks the most correct, but sadly we all know where that gets me most of the time.

BTW, how the heck do you set WB if the image has no clear whites or blacks or anything of known neutral like this?
His pupil is too small and I figured it would be contaminated by the colors of his iris so I didn't use that.

Feel free to hit me with any other critiques on the image as well.

Dave

As shot WB

Auto WB

Daylight WB

Shade WB

Snowy WB

Jul 13, 2017 at 06:43 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big smile

lighthound wrote:
Ok, sorry folks but here we go again.

I'm having my normal trouble figuring out the correct WB for this shot and would like to hear which of these looks correct to you.

Each have been titled for the WB used as processed in LRcc.

The one titled Snowy WB was derived from another shot I had taken of a snowy just a few moments later and in almost exactly the same spot which was in full shade late afternoon light. I used the snowy to set the WB then used the same WB for this shot. To me, that one
...Show more

On my monitor, "as shot" white balance seems to be the most authentic. Then snowy white balance. I kind of confirmed my opinion by looking at the teeth.

X-rite makes Color Checker Passport which is a neat tool. Next time just lay it down close to the animal's snout. Should be no problem getting an accurate reading.:

Steve

Jul 13, 2017 at 07:41 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big smile

Oh man, you're right! And I actually had it in my pocket that day too damn it!

All joking aside, I have grabbed a large gator by the tail before. Ok, maybe not grabbed, more like a gentle squeeze and touch.

Thanks for weighing in on this one Steve. That's very helpful. Those were the ones I thought looked best as well except I was leaning more towards the snowy WB.

Dvae

Jul 13, 2017 at 08:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big smile

Shade & Daylight are out.

The others are kinda getting closer to splittin' hairs. As to an "approach" ... I really like the prospect of utilizing a "known" same-light illuminating two different subjects is the same temperature. The caveat to that .... is it really the same lighting reaching it (AI=AR) and reflecting into your lens. If it is, then that approach can work well (and is one I use with landscapes, etc. where you can't place a card in the scene, etc.).

I worked it from your as shot. Got the pupil to go neutral just fine for adjusting the shadows, then when I started working on the mids on his back that were facing upward (vs. eye facing lateral), as I was warming the mids toward neutral (reducing blue), I saw that I was warming the eye a bit. At this point I was finding I "liked" the warmer look, so I went with it a bit (%) between the two to taste.

I realize that doesn't fully answer your question, but it 's how I went about it on this one.

Jul 13, 2017 at 08:26 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big smile

Snowy for me and I very much like your shot Dave!

The reflection and the curves/texture really sell it. What a lovely prehistoric beast!

But.....................

Jeff

.edit I dig Kent's more poppy rendition! I should take my conversion down and just straight convert Kent's.

Jul 13, 2017 at 08:32 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big smile

Thanks Kent & Jeff!

How does this one look?

I took it into PS and tried to use his tiny tiny little pupil (see below super crop) for the shadow WB and pick a couple of spots on his back. One of those pick points (RGB's) didn't look right so I didn't trust it.
I had to push % more further than I'm comfortable with but I think/hope I got it.

@Beavens I just knew you would toss a mono out there at me Jeff.

Dave

Pupil? What pupil?

Corrected WB in PS

Jul 13, 2017 at 09:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big smile

First off, I will let the others help you with WB, but as shot works for me.

Now tell me that you did not take this with a wide angle lens at 3 feet or so while laying on your belly?

Jul 13, 2017 at 09:16 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big smile

ben egbert wrote:
First off, I will let the others help you with WB, but as shot works for me.

Now tell me that you did not take this with a wide angle lens at 3 feet or so while laying on your belly?

No silly! I'd never do such a crazy thing. Geesh...

I was at least 4 ft away and on my elbows.

Seriously though, I was maxed out as you can see in the EXIF of the first OP image. However, I did ask the wife and my GD to keep an eye out for me while I climbed down into the muck to get this shot. These guys were all over the place and I counted over 40 of them at one point. You never knew where one was hiding so I didn't spend too much time down in the muck with them.
When I finished shooting I discovered both of them had wondered off looking for Painted buntings. So much for my backups.

I have many more nice shots like this if I ever get my ars around to working on them.

Dave

Jul 13, 2017 at 09:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big smile

Your "corrected WB in PS"

Jul 13, 2017 at 09:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big smile

One method I use is to add a curves layer in Photoshop, select the gray dropper and start poking around in the image for small bits that might look good as middle gray. When I find a point that makes the over-all image look "artistically" right, I've got a good color balance. (Artistically right just means "looks good to me". )

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.