New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

macpro88
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

So I primarily shoot Nikon for my work etc, but lately I've been wanting something smaller and compact for more casual stuff; my own family shoots, the kid, around the house etc; no real plans to use it as my main body.

With that said, is the XT-1 still a worthy performer worth the current price you can get one used for?

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:38 PM
mdude85
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

Used X-T20s are going for about $200-300 more than a used X-T1, so I would do some research on the X-T20 to see if it suits your needs. It has a newer sensor than the X-T1, 4k video, more features, etc. However, the X-T1 is weather sealed and can accept a grip, whereas the X-T20 cannot.

Jul 13, 2017 at 02:28 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I think it is still a very viable camera. The Xt20 is also good as mentioned but it is pretty small. I like the XT form factor and size better. I still have my XT1 along with my XT2. Newer cameras have better performance and some newer features but the XT1 is no slouch and Fuji has updated the firmware a lot since it first came out. An excellent choice and it will get you hooked on the Fuji's.... you may end up switching after all...

Alan

Jul 13, 2017 at 02:46 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

Nothing wrong with an X-T1, and the used prices are certainly appealing. Do the incremental improvements in the X-T2 justify the additional cost? Do you need 24MP, more AF points, 4K videeo, an extra stop of ISO, higher x-sync, etc?

Jul 13, 2017 at 04:58 PM
photoelectric
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I love my X-T1. I had an X-T10 for a long time too, but it was just not that fun to use: small and fiddly grip, doesn't balance well with many Fuji primes that are not the smallest, tiny tunnel-like EVF. X-T1's grip is just right, the EVF is excellent and huge, and the split screen manual focusing is a very useful feature. I've no interest in "upgrading" to X-T20, and I'm waiting for used X-T2 prices to drop more instead. Or perhaps X-E3 will come out and will be great (but I'm quite hooked on the X-T1 form factor and EVF now). So for features, X-T20 has the edge in image quality. For usability, I'd say X-T1 wins.

Jul 13, 2017 at 07:43 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

XT2 is the hands down better camera IMO, much improved AF, better resolution and much less of the waxy skin and associated x-trans II issues, the super useful AF joystick, 4k video (if that matters, I don't really use it myself).

The XT1 wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't great either. The XT2 just solves a lot of frustrations with things like moving the AF point around, and AF in general.

If the XT1 was a good camera, the XT2 is a great camera.

In terms of price difference, depends on how much of a system you buy. If your getting a pretty complete kit, the price difference between the XT1 and XT2, especially on the used market, is like 10% of the total system cost, so well worth it IMO

Jul 13, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

the x-t2 is better, imho, but not commensurate with the $800-1,000 price difference (nearly 3x), comparing a nice used x-t1 to a new or slightly used or new x-t2. of course if you have the funds and need the add'l mpx, a joystick, better video, incrementally better AF, and so on, sure pick one up. but the x-t1 was and is a fine piece of gear for what you'll use it for.

@millsart: 10% of total system cost? if the difference is $800, then your system cost is $8,000? that's one hella fuji system you must have don't think the OP has this kind of outlay in mind.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I find my X-E2 perfectly relevant for everyday shots...so I would consider the X-T1 to be the same IQ wise.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

Mike Tuomey wrote:
the x-t2 is better, imho, but not commensurate with the $800-1,000 price difference (nearly 3x), comparing a nice used x-t1 to a new or slightly used or new x-t2. of course if you have the funds and need the add'l mpx, a joystick, better video, incrementally better AF, and so on, sure pick one up. but the x-t1 was and is a fine piece of gear for what you'll use it for.

@millsart@: 10% of total system cost? if the difference is $800, then your system cost is $8,000? that's one hella fuji system you must have don't think
...Show more

What is a used XT1 selling for these days, like $700 from what I've seen some people asking? (not sure if they are getting it of course) I paid $1250 for my latest XT2, used of course, which I have no problem with.

TO say its a $800 to $1000 price difference would mean people are able to score a XT1 for $250, which certainly would be quite a deal, but I don't think you can get anything other than maybe an XE1 for that little money.

I think a fairly modest (at least for most FM members ) Fuji kit probably probably has at least $3k invested. If you have something like a 23/1.4 and a 56/1.2 along with a XT2 alone your nearly there. Maybe add on two great zooms like a 50-140/2.8 and a 10-24 and you've approaching $5k

Blimey this hobby is pricy isn't it ?

I just switched back from shooting Sony and that system is even MORE expensive still. A7rII, a 35/1.4 and a 85/1.4 already topped $5k for just two lens and a body. Heck, tack another $2500 onto that for all the guys on the Sony forum that have adopted the A9.....

The point, which wasn't to argue system cost, is merely to point out that for a lot of people their kits compromise a fair chunk of change. As such, the price differences between a body you like using, verses one you might feel frustrated with, isn't that huge when you look at the total cost of system ownership.

To each his or her own, but if I had $3000 invested in a kit, with some nice lenses and a camera body that I really enjoy, OR, I had $2500 invested, again with some great lens, but overall my shooting enjoyment is hampered because of the camera body, I'd say its a poorer overall value.

In the longer run, what am I going to appreciate more ? A great camera, or a merely good camera and $500 extra in my pocket ?

That is the point I was trying to illustrate

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

@millsart@: i see your point about all-in cost of a system. OP seems to be looking for a secondary camera for casual stuff, though, not swap out or build out a fuji system.

Re cost difference, used xt1's can go for 500-600 and new or light use xt2's can run 1400-1599. you can do an xt1 + 35/1.4 for under 1000, while same setup with xt2 is 1600-1800. My point is a favorably depreciated and healthy xt1 is a pretty fine deal and except for video gives most of the xt2 goodness.

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:18 AM
tgrantster
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I shoot an X-T1 for family stuff. I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old who never stop moving and will only pose for less than .001 seconds. The continuous focus is very good in good light and ok in low light...it can hunt a bit. Compared to my 5D III ...well no contest the 5D III;s continuous tracking was so good I never used single shot. The single shot on the x-t1 is very fast in any light. I have no plans to upgrade to the x-t2. I had read that Fuji is planning a big improvement for the x-t3 so I'll be holding out for that and in the meantime buying more glass.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM
Twistedimg
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I feel the same as most everyone who has posted. Basically, the X-T1 is still a wonderful camera and while the T20 and T2 are better, are they better enough to warrant the extra cost right now? That's for you to decide.

I can say that I have an X-T1 and still love it. I've been shooting with it for over 2 years now. I have handled an X-T20 and X-T2 but haven't actually taken them out shooting. I know the differences and that on paper both are an upgrade. I have shopped the X-T2 and done a lot of comparisons. Again, I know it is a better camera than my X-T1 but for the extra cost, it isn't worth it to me to upgrade.

Just for the record, I picked up a used X-E1 recently, just over $100, and to prove a point to some folks have been using it a lot. As expected, the images created with it are no different than that of the T1, just take a little more fiddling to get the settings I want. I also enjoy the E1 as just a walk around camera. I throw a 35mm f/1.4 on there and grab snapshots which tend to turn out way better than regular snapshots.

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:37 PM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I just got an X-T1 about 2 months ago and got the 18-55 to give the fuji mirrorless world a go
I REALLY enjoy the camera. I like the images that come out of it alot more then my 7D2. it doesnt need as much PP work on them and seems to do a better job holding details in highlights and shadows that I can pull out and still look really clean. It doesnt track like my 7DII but for everything but high speed action I think I would take it over my 7DII especially once I build up a little more of a lens catalog for it.

Jul 15, 2017 at 07:58 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

Had quite a few xt1's, bought and sold several times...just recently bought another one. Had an xt2 for a little, while it had better af...I like the xt1 files better xt2 seems softer. I paid 500 for a use mint xt1 with vertical grip and 2 batteries

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

The OP is saking whether the X-T1 is still a good performer, not how it compares with it's newer siblings; sounds to me that the reason behind the question is, as stated, the current prices for a used one.
If that's the case, yes, the xt-1 is a great camera for the size and price in the Fuji realm. Having said that, the xt-10 is also a really good contender, if weather sealing is not so important...and smaller.

As for the battery grip on the xt1, the size of the thing is not all that attractive given that it only takes one extra battery; I find it easier to carry a couple of spares than put that on the body.. YMMV

Jul 17, 2017 at 05:42 PM
jpsassy1965

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

I have both the X-T1 and the X-T2. I use both of them and while I do use the X-T2 more often the X-T1 is for from being an obsolete camera. The X-T1 is the my go to kayaking and hiking camera. Pair is with a nice Fuji prime and you are good to go. Just my two cents.

Jul 18, 2017 at 01:18 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is the XT-1 Still Relevant?

Yes, I still use an Xpro1 !

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password