Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Shooting Motorsports For The First Time

malyard

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting Motorsports For The First Time

Some friends are doing an amateur track day at GingerMan Raceway in MI. Some of these guys are experienced drivers that have raced on renowned tracks... I have offered to be the unofficial photographer and want to make a good impression. I have shot other sports including downhill skiing, lacrosse, basketball and track but never motorsports. I researched motorsports photography including panning, camera settings, and track location. I welcome all suggestions, comments and instructions.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:50 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting Motorsports For The First Time

What is your pricing schedule for the Photos?

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Stripper
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting Motorsports For The First Time

Usually these guys want documentation and not art. They want cars depicted in detail at key points on the track and are not as concerned with arty slow pan shots. These guys have spent a lot of time and money on their cars. They want to see what they have done. They want to see the details. They are not nearly as concerned about wheel blur as they are about seeing that all of the body panels fit perfectly.

Turn up the shutter speed and get the documentation then if you have time...try for some art.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:50 PM
BPCE

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting Motorsports For The First Time

I would get to the track ahead of time and scout out some good places for photos or even ask the drivers where are some good spots to be at. I would try to be at some very technical or "curvy" parts of the track. I know a lot of drivers/ teams want to see how the car is going through the turn for example any body lean, tire flex, chassis flex, back of the vehicle breaking loose on exit (not on purpose, dont want drifiting).

Jul 24, 2017 at 07:29 PM
HMarquez

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting Motorsports For The First Time

Motorsports is fun to shoot. It's technical but easy. Getting to the track ahead of time like BPCE mentioned is key. Scout out your location you plan to shoot from or find out where you are actually allowed to shoot from so you don't get yelled at lol. Talk with the drivers around what corners they find challenging as those will have more meaning to them vs just going down a straight.

Panning shots also work in corners. If you can get it right. Adds movement to an otherwise still shot.

Move around. Many photographer's I've shot with only stay in one corner. A track is more than just one corner or straight, capture it.

CPL or ND filter. Use one.

PM me your email and I can send you some example shots.

Happy Shooting!

Jul 29, 2017 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password