New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

Sam_W
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

As a camera without the EVF, it's... really not that notable. You need the AF lenses, and then you're just really overpaying for what you're getting. As has been mentioned before, Fuji and a few other APS-C, or even MFT, vendors have better kit.

Once you throw on the EVF, and switch to MF glass (especially now that focus-peaking is available), it's an entirely different beast. The crop hurts, but beyond that, it's a very small and capable system. Combined with the smaller/lighter M lenses, it becomes almost formidable, in its own way.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:38 AM
flash
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

Sam_W wrote:
As a camera without the EVF, it's... really not that notable. You need the AF lenses, and then you're just really overpaying for what you're getting. As has been mentioned before, Fuji and a few other APS-C, or even MFT, vendors have better kit.

The Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4 and 55-200, which I have, aren't in the same league as the Leica TL equivalents. And at equivalent apertures the Leica's edge out the 2.8 Fuji's as well. Sure the XPro2/PenF are more functional but if you're after the top resolving APSC lenses available, the TL lenses are where it's at. It's like anything Leica, a small improvement for a large cost. But they're better, no doubt.

Gordon

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:55 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

Lee Saxon wrote:
Add me to the list of people on the other side. But I already wasn't buying any of these lenses because the everything-by-wire limits their shelf life too much for what they cost unless I start making a lot more money at photography, so meh.

Yep, I hate it too.. I rather geared manual focus and optical corrections any day.
One of the main reasons why I don't understand the 50SL. It's big/heavy/expensive and what do you get? Digital corrections, terrible MF, slow AF and honestly yeah the performance is good, but not leagues better than what you were getting from the smaller lighter awesome 50Lux-asph-M.

Not saying I wouldn't take the 50SL over other AF lenses... Just saying that I don't understand what Leica was doing when they designed the 50SL.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:03 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

flash wrote:
The Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4 and 55-200, which I have, aren't in the same league as the Leica TL equivalents

It's probably relevant, though, that there isn't a TL equivalent to the latter. 55-135 is significantly less utility than 55-200.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:57 PM
flash
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

Lee Saxon wrote:
It's probably relevant, though, that there isn't a TL equivalent to the latter. 55-135 is significantly less utility than 55-200.

True. I see them as equivalents in that they're both compact tele zooms although the Fuji has more reach. But I don't tend to *need* the extra reach, most of the time. It's nice to have when it's there but when it's not 135mm (200 equiv angle of view) is what I shoot at and often far more than I need for casual shooting. Personally I'd rather have better optics with a bit less range than the other way around. Others needs may be different. I find that as you get to the extremes of focal length you use them less and less anyway. 70% of my shooting is between 24 and 100mm (equiv).

If I need 300mm I'm more likely to pull out the Olympus 40-150 2.8. I've kind of settled on m43 for my long lens needs. The TL system is more of a daily carry around when photography isn't the focus or as a backup when I travel. Outside of the 16-200mm (equiv) I carry with the TL is probably only 5% of my shooting except on specific trips in which case I'll bring specific gear.

Gordon

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

flash wrote:
True. I see them as equivalents in that they're both compact tele zooms although the Fuji has more reach. But I don't tend to *need* the extra reach, most of the time. It's nice to have when it's there but when it's not 135mm (200 equiv angle of view) is what I shoot at and often far more than I need for casual shooting. Personally I'd rather have better optics with a bit less range than the other way around. Others needs may be different. I find that as you get to the extremes of focal length you use them
...Show more

I could probably see myself using the TL2 + 35TL as a travel cam if I couldn't be fussed to shoot with an all manual M (my photo needs outside of work are very basic, I'm usually happy with just a good small 50mm). I'd also probably consider the 11-23 as a landscape and vlog lens if the TL2 video (and in video AF) was good.

I've been on a less is more kick lately. Trying to sell everything and start fresh, but I keep buying things and haven't really sold anything yet

And no lens is ever long enough or wide enough hahahaha...

Jul 19, 2017 at 04:37 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

Ok, so had a bit of drama last night trying to find a TL2.. Decided to get a TL2, but all my dealers packed up the TL2s to send back to Leica literally hours before I was free enough to head on over.
Luckily one of my less used dealers had a black that they had just not sent in yet. I managed to convince them to call Leica up and let Leica know that I would be taking it despite the issues... I guess this means I can't complain if the camera cocks up. HOWEVER I do not have a Visoflex and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. SOOO IF the EVF is the only issue I should be ok. I'm charging the battery now and will be testing it throughout AU and NZ. I have the 35TL with me now, but that's probably all I'll need for my trip.

I hear there is a battery drain problem, so I'm curious about that too.. If anyone wants to chime in, I'm open to testing for it.

I'll report back here with my findings and etc. And you all know me, I'm not going to sugar coat anything. But so far, I know I like the 35TL and the forum factor of the TL isn't bad.. So as long as the sensor colours and cleanliness of the files are good I'm sure it'll get a favourable review from me.

EDIT: OMG this battery takes forever to charge...

Jul 19, 2017 at 09:31 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

My highly favorable experience with the Leica Q has got me somewhat interested in the TL2, especially knowing that the AF lenses for it are superb. Unfortunately, the fact that it lacks image stabilization is a deal breaker for me. I have come to appreciate the value of IS in all of my cameras, and I don't want to be without it. Too bad (or maybe not).

Rob

Jul 19, 2017 at 09:55 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

robgo2 wrote:
My highly favorable experience with the Leica Q has got me somewhat interested in the TL2, especially knowing that the AF lenses for it are superb. Unfortunately, the fact that it lacks image stabilization is a deal breaker for me. I have come to appreciate the value of IS in all of my cameras, and I don't want to be without it. Too bad (or maybe not).

Rob

Yes this bothers me as well. I wish they had managed to get IBIS into the camera. Though I'd also have liked hybrid PDAF CDAF too. And also maybe a built in EVF like the images floating around of a mockup someone did a year or so back.

And sad to report that the video is terrible/unusable, over-sharpened mess and like the Q there is no manual control over video.

Will be out taking photos today to see how I like the sensor. Had to buy those $60 pins so I could use my own strap, and picked up a spare battery as I have a feeling the battery life isn't going to be fantastic.

Here's to hoping the IQ more than makes up for all the above. Though I'm going into this with a negative view on APSC cameras/sensors in general so who knows.

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:09 AM
brycv

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Anyone buying a Leica TL2?

Anything further on the TL2? I just ordered one but it's out of stock with no ETA. I'm debating canceling the order but not sure.

Aug 20, 2017 at 09:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password