Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

We walked 100km for these 3 shots. All of these shots were as planned - the weather cooperated and I have no one to blame but myself for lack of quality and composition and stamina in hiking late or early.

I talked my son and Darryl [FM =Harland] into going into Mount Robson the last week in June.

We endured 100km of walking, mosquitoes that only permitted hiking or sleeping in the tent and waking Darryl and my son up at 2AM to start our hike and then again at 7pm on the same day. We helicoptered in but walked out 27km with too much camera stuff, tents, sleeping bags... in the heat of the day. Embarrassingly, my 28 year old son decided at the 22km mark to grab my pack and carry it and his pack (over 100lbs) because he thought I was fading from heat and hike.

Mount Robson is the tallest mountain in the Canadian Rockies. Berg lake is the lake in front of it.

1-3 of 3

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Likely I need to redo processing. I have been experiencing failed computer for a week. And I don't have my calibration back yet because my operating system drive is out being recovered.

Scott

1 The view from 10PM in the evening way above our Campground - A night hike Darryl will not forget

Canon EOS 5DS R    15mm lens    15mm    f/11.0    1/5s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 The view after a 10km hike at 4AM at the other end of the Lake - Part of the Day that Darryl will not forget

Canon EOS 5DS R    15mm lens    15mm    f/8.0    1/15s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 The view of Berg Lake at 11pm up Close showing why its named Berg Lake from Previous Night

Canon EOS 5DS R    15mm lens    15mm    f/16.0    1/4s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jul 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2017 at 05:08 AM
gordon l
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

All 3 are outstanding.
I'm partial to the composition in #1 but love the light and skies in #2. Good thing I don't have to choose.
Great images and fantastic location!

Jul 12, 2017 at 05:32 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

gordon l wrote:
All 3 are outstanding.
I'm partial to the composition in #1 but love the light and skies in #2. Good thing I don't have to choose.
Great images and fantastic location!

Thanks Gordon I: Glad you like 1 composition and 2 colours. It is a fantastic location. If only it was not 500 meters up at 2am or 500 meters up at 9pm - I would not be so rushed in getting the right light.

But it was a fantastic weekend.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 05:42 AM
junglialoh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

wonderful set of beautiful Canadian Rocky Mountains

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:27 AM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Nicely done, Scott. The PP here looks fine but for me I'd try for a little more out of the sky in the 1st. That's the pic that makes me want to go there. That was until I read your details Thanks for sharing.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

"Tho' I've belted you and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Talk about going the extra mile for a photo!

I like the third one best. The bergy bit in the foreground really adds to it, it flows in the same direction as the sunlight.

Well done, Scott!

Edited on Jul 12, 2017 at 01:06 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

junglialoh: Glad you like the set. It is a place worth visiting. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

psharvic: Now that I know the area - It is possible to easier than I did. You can helicopter in and out. And if I did it again, I would focus on 1 and 3. 1 is just 5km and 500meters up. So a 2AM start from the same campground would have yielded better than walking 5km and then starting as in 2. Second week in September would be spectacular. Glad you like 1. I will look at cropping in 1 for improvement. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

pliukait: Great poem. The fun of landscape photography is the effort to be on the side of a cliff at 4AM when the sun comes up and the scouting of the prospects. So this was my epic fun weekend from this year. My line of the day was at 2am call for rise of hiking - "this is what fun feels like at 2am!!"

Glad you like 3. I think I will take another run at processing it. I used nd filters to flatten the water and it has muted the colours a bit. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

These are great Scott. My only photos of Mt. Robson are from the meadow in front of the visitor center. I stayed in the campground on the way up to Haines a few years ago. And I also remember the mosquitoes. I saw the trail to Berg lake and wished I had the time to hike.

Jul 12, 2017 at 01:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Beautiful set, I especially like 3.

Jul 12, 2017 at 02:08 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

All 3 are excellence, photo #3 is clear winner.

Jul 12, 2017 at 02:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dwa652
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Great set Scott. All three are excellent and thus I do not have a favorite.

I am jealous that you made such a great hike but no way I could do that. But I do have a couple of college age sons who could carry my pack ... hmmmm !

The shots are great but I know you treasure the time with your son too.

Don

Jul 12, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

NCAndy: Glad you like Mt Robson. The view from the visitor centre is nice but you have to walk 27km to see the better show. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ben Egbert: Glad you like 3. I am going to take another run at processing it this evening. Its good to know that its worthwhile. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jonathan Huynh: I am glad you like 3. I will put some more effort into it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dwa652: You can save 50km and take the helicopter in and out for $550. Then its just getting up at 2am and hiking 5 miles and 1500' before breakfast in the dark. It was special again to hang out with my 28 year old son. Although it makes me feel old just seeing what he can do with ease and I have to grind and puff and push at 56. Glad you appreciate the efforts. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Beautiful set Stott! Love them all.
Fred

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Fred Miranda wrote:
Beautiful set Stott! Love them all.
Fred

Glad you love them all. It was a fun weekend. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:33 PM
MikeMancil
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Magnificent scenes and, now that you made it back, well worth the effort! ...Mike

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

MikeMancil wrote:
Magnificent scenes and, now that you made it back, well worth the effort! ...Mike

There were moments where I wondered. I was not drinking enough water on the way back about 16 km and I decided to rest on the trail. My son said that in my 15minute nap people had to step over my feet on the trail for my power nap.

Glad you like the magnificent mount Robson/Berg Lake. Now I want to go back for fall. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:49 PM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

great images and thank for not over processing them. THANKS

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

fredv wrote:
great images and thank for not over processing them. THANKS

Glad you like the images. I am going to reduce the cyan in the pictures and darken the 1st - it was at 10PM but looks earlier. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks. Scott

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Absolutely yummy imagery. Must have been an incredible experience!

Jul 13, 2017 at 05:33 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mount Robson / Berg Lake British Columbia

Numbers 2 & 3 are great, but #1 is just jaw-dropping to me. Thanks for showing.

Jul 13, 2017 at 05:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password