Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

rerdreb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

Looking for a little insight on a lens that I do not own.

My son plays left field and all of my shots of him have to be cropped heavily. I don't only shoot to take pictures of him though. I cover all the action from infield to outfield from a spot close to the dugout and sometimes in the dugout.

I have been thinking of renting one of the 150-600 lenses for this tournament to see if I can cover the outfield better. My question is can they be handheld for a 2 hour game? The field I shoot at has high fences so most of the time I am up on a bucket to get over the fence. I can't stand shooting through the fence it is just too hard to keep focus and find the action.

I currently shoot either with my Canon 200 2.8L II and a 1.4 TC or with my Sigma 100-300 f4 with a 1.4 TC. The L lens images are sharp even with the TC. The Sigma lens on the other hand is a little soft. I don't worry too much about the lens being slow because my camera has great high ISO performance and is a full frame camera.

Does anyone have experience hand holding one of the 150-600 lenses for sports and if so... how did it work out?

Thanks,
Ron

Jul 12, 2017 at 04:30 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

If the games are during daylight hours the Sigma or Tamron lenses would work fine. The Tamron G2 is getting rave reviews as is the Sigma sport version. The 600mm range will be nice, just be aware your f-stop will be f/6.3. If the games are at night, you might have to spend some real money and go with either the Sigma or Canon 500mm f/4. As a father of a son that love soccer, I understand the pain of wanting to get great shots. With my job, I was able to use the 200-400 or 400mm f/2.8 from my office. Now that I transferred overseas, and my son is now playing against Italian kids, I am looking at making a purchase that is hard to explain to the wife.

-Greg

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:19 AM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

Thanks,

The games are all during the day. I think I will try the Tamron and see how it goes. Hopefully it isn't too heavy to handhold.

Ron

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:19 AM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

I tried the Tamron 150-600 G2 for last weekend's baseball tournament. Just in case anyone else might be interested here are my thoughts of the lens.

I worried that the lens may be a little too heavy to handhold all day and while it was the heaviest lens I have used I was still able to handhold it all day long for 3 days straight. The lens felt solid and I did like the push pull zoom lock and I found it quick and easy to use.

I shot using a full frame camera and since the games were all during the day there really wasn't an issue with the maximum fstop that the lens has. Autofocus was pretty good. I did notice a little trouble when focused on the infield and then trying to focus on the outfield that it was sometimes too slow to focus although I didn't miss that many shots due to not being able to focus quick enough. I did use a pre-focus technique to get in the zone and that did help quite a bit.

I did notice using the lens zoomed in all the way to 600mm that it was a little like looking through a high power rifle scope. You could see movement from breathing or even your heartbeat but again the shots were all taken in daylight so I was able to keep a 1/1600 shutter speed which did compensate for the slight movement. I also tried the VC on setting 3 and it worked great.

Image quality was very good. The images were sharp and had good contrast. The images were sharp even without sharpening in post.

I really liked the lens and got better with it the more I shot. I definitely would use that lens again.

Ron

Jul 20, 2017 at 02:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

Share some of the results?

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

The cost of soccer is very expensive in Italy dear wife! Just do it! When you get photos that last a lifetime who can argue. Kids are only this age once!

gnjphotography wrote:
If the games are during daylight hours the Sigma or Tamron lenses would work fine. The Tamron G2 is getting rave reviews as is the Sigma sport version. The 600mm range will be nice, just be aware your f-stop will be f/6.3. If the games are at night, you might have to spend some real money and go with either the Sigma or Canon 500mm f/4. As a father of a son that love soccer, I understand the pain of wanting to get great shots. With my job, I was able to use the 200-400 or 400mm f/2.8 from my
...Show more

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:19 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Rental for Baseball Tournament

I have shot baseball for years. You didn't mention the size of field your son plays on so assuming its high school. I personally always use a monopod shooting baseball as I get less arm fatigue while other photogs prefer not to. I use a 100-400 or a 300 with a 1.4 TC. For outfield, most shots are at the 400 focal length. The zoom is nice as I can find the player easier and then zoom in to shoot. For non-ideal sunlight, bump up the iso to keep a good shutter speed. Show some of your images for more feedback.

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:42 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password