New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

rylim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

Recently I just got a Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter from a Ebay seller with high rating (100%). After receiving the filter, I'm kind of deeply skeptical about the authenticity of the filter, as the filter has a sticker adhered at the side ring instead of engraved (pictures below).

In addition, I did send a message to the seller about that filter and the reply I got back was "the filter was from 80s/ early 90s". Was Vari-ND available in 80s/ early 90s?

Jul 12, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

If you aren't confident about the authenticity of the filter I say send it back.

Jul 12, 2017 at 04:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

Have you tested it to see how it performs in terms of sharpness and colour casts?

Ask these guys.

http://www.singh-ray.com/contact-page/

Jul 12, 2017 at 05:55 AM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

I bought one of these filters (about 7 or 8 years ago) new from Adorama, and it also had the sticker thing going on. I did not like that. However, the filter worked pretty well. Yours may be genuine.
Keith W.

Jul 12, 2017 at 06:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rylim

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

Edward Castro wrote:
If you aren't confident about the authenticity of the filter I say send it back.

I was thinking the same thing

---------------------------------------------

Paul Mo wrote:
Have you tested it to see how it performs in terms of sharpness and colour casts?

Ask these guys.

http://www.singh-ray.com/contact-page/

I haven't had chance to put it on my lenses to test it, but I will definitely do it on this weekend.

By the way, I did send a email to Singh-Ray a couple days ago, but I still haven't get back from them.

---------------------------------------------

kwilliam8 wrote:
I bought one of these filters (about 7 or 8 years ago) new from Adorama, and it also had the sticker thing going on. I did not like that. However, the filter worked pretty well. Yours may be genuine.
Keith W.

I really wish mine is a genuine filter.

Did your filter have a sticker for Singh-Ray brand name or just a sticker for the ND indicator? By the way, mine only have the ND indicator, which shown in the picture.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

I bought mine in the late 90's directly from Singh-Ray, and it looks just like that.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:56 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

I really wish mine is a genuine filter.

Did your filter have a sticker for Singh-Ray brand name or just a sticker for the ND indicator? By the way, mine only have the ND indicator, which shown in the picture.

Just the sticker with the ND indicator. So mine looked just like yours. Btw, the more that I think about it, I may have bought mine directly from Singh-Ray. And as I said, it was a very good filter.

Keith W.

Jul 12, 2017 at 05:57 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Authentic Singh-Ray 77mm Vari-ND Filter

Back in that time frame I remember buying direct from Singh-Ray. As I recall their filters were not widely available and there were only a few people working at the company, including Mr. Singh. I recall getting a quote from them to cut an odd sized filter glass for a filter ring I already had. It was a drop-in filter and I couldn't find the filter I wanted anywhere in that size. Things have changed a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if that filter with the sticker is legitimate.

Jul 12, 2017 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password