False color thrown in for fun.

Jeff

Jul 11, 2017 at 09:10 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

less than ideal monitor currently

1. Great sky. Foreground cone like plants of interest as are the dark twigs. But foreground whites look blown. Maybe less on bottom? Not a great fan of this comp
2. Works better than first. I think the dark, contrasty branches help make the image pop. To me this is often a successful ingredient in the IR conversions. Something dark against the whites.
3. Excellent! Maybe a tad off the bottom? Or not?
4. Love the IR sky. Nice image!
5. Nice but missing something to add interest to the bottom. Or perhaps more pano, less bottom.
6. Excellent! Layers of whites, grays, contrasty IR sky. It all works for me. Well-cropped.
7. Don't give up on false color yet. Keep playing. In my opinion the image is lacking in contrast and depth. I know it's a stylistic choice but you kinda have a bleached look here, with the exception of the odd false color foreground. I would dramatically pull down the luminosity of the blues in the sky, bump the contrast there, adding depth and I think some drama

Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:28 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

You are starting to own IR for me.

Dramatic sky here, I love 4 and 6 for the sky, but 3 is just plain elegant.

Jul 12, 2017 at 08:44 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

sbeme wrote:
less than ideal monitor currently

1. Great sky. Foreground cone like plants of interest as are the dark twigs. But foreground whites look blown. Maybe less on bottom? Not a great fan of this comp
2. Works better than first. I think the dark, contrasty branches help make the image pop. To me this is often a successful ingredient in the IR conversions. Something dark against the whites.
3. Excellent! Maybe a tad off the bottom? Or not?
4. Love the IR sky. Nice image!
5. Nice but missing something to add interest to the bottom. Or perhaps more pano, less bottom.
6. Excellent! Layers of
...Show more

Scott, thanks for the great and meticulous feedback (especially with 7 pics shown)!

1. So something that I've noticed with my IR stuff is that I like very white whites and hate if they take on a more midtone/muddled look. This can result in some highlights that are either blown or close to blown. I'll keep an eye on this in the future and keep an eye on those details. I'm not a big fan of how the busy this one feels in the foreground/midground. The dark branches have separation but the cones do not. I've got some cones from other perspectives that should work better.

2. Comp question here - do your eyes hit the "funnel of grass in the foreground, work up through the branches and then end up in the sky?

3. Some off the bottom could work depending on personal preference here - lots of S&P options with these it seems. I might clone out that branch in the bottom and the person in the field to the right.

4. Thanks! Any feelings on the foreground here?

5. Perhaps this one is lacking the depth to allow for some rolling hills and sky alone to carry the image?

6. Glad you like it!

7. Thanks for the info! I do feel that a lot my skies in the false color shots feel washed out or bleached and never really have those deep blues that I want to see, but I'll play more with some lumosity and see what I can do. A problem that I've been running into with the false color is that a lot of the time with a nice blue sky you also get a nice blue cast over the rest of the scene. So when you go to desat you're left having to work with some more intricate masking jobs. Perhaps I just need to get more "next-level" with feathered masks allowing me more overall control of the tones/hues in play.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:11 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

ben egbert wrote:
You are starting to own IR for me.

Dramatic sky here, I love 4 and 6 for the sky, but 3 is just plain elegant.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben! I'm glad that you're liking these, especially given your love of color. You should take after me and ride on Scott's coattails and get yourself a convert body!

I'm wide open to hearing the negatives and detractors for the images that you didn't care for as much - especially considering your landscaping pedigree.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:15 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

I like 2,4 and 6.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:55 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

Kevin T wrote:
I like 2,4 and 6.

Thanks for the feedback, Kev!

Anything in particular that you don't care for in the others?

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

Here ya go.

1. is a bit to bright overall.

2 and 4, I like them both, but the scene in 4 is better in my opinion with those rolling hills.

5 and 6, also great but I prefer the clouds in 6. Also 5 has a side hill that sort of unbalances the image.

7. I don't care for false color.

3, is still the star of the show.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

ben egbert wrote:
Here ya go.

1. is a bit to bright overall.

2 and 4, I like them both, but the scene in 4 is better in my opinion with those rolling hills.

5 and 6, also great but I prefer the clouds in 6. Also 5 has a side hill that sort of unbalances the image.

7. I don't care for false color.

3, is still the star of the show.

Thank you Ben!! This is the stuff I am looking to hear back about.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 01:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

2. No. More powerfully directed to the sky by the barren branches roughly pointing to a dark patch in the sky. The funnel, while a positive element, is relatively subtle.
4. I could take or leave the darker branches. I like the contrast they provide, a bit of punctuation to the foreground, and the fact that they are natural.
5. The image is fine but lacking some of the interest of 4 and 6. I suppose you could play with a bit of burning selectively to add more separation between the rolling elements of the foreground. I just don't think the comp is inherently as interesting as the others.
7. Wrong guy to discuss masking, selections, although I need to learn more and am a bit. Obviously the more simple scenes might just allow a brush with reduced saturation to clean up bits of color. Or a color range selection, with refinements could be used again to selectively reduce color fragments. .

Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 02:21 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

sbeme wrote:
2. No. More powerfully directed to the sky by the barren branches roughly pointing to a dark patch in the sky. The funnel, while a positive element, is relatively subtle.
4. I could take or leave the darker branches. I like the contrast they provide, a bit of punctuation to the foreground, and the fact that they are natural.
5. The image is fine but lacking some of the interest of 4 and 6. I suppose you could play with a bit of burning selectively to add more separation between the rolling elements of the foreground. I just don't think the comp
...Show more

Thanks for the follow-ups, Scott!!

Sounds like our current workflows are relatively similar. Might have to hit up Karen, Kent and the internet for some more granular masking techniques.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

beavens wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Kev!

Anything in particular that you don't care for in the others?

Jeff

1 is likeable but the foreground was competing too much with the awesome sky (I am really a sucker for the sky) and cool looking flowers reaching up to it. I tried cropping with my screen but it didnt really help make it move me. I dont know if it's done but if I had taken the image I might try a brightened (or other effect de-jour)center containing the blooms and then some tricks to effect the rest of the image like having it get darker in a ring composed about the center. There is a powerful central focus to this image to me adn the sky has an iris quality. It sucks me right in to the middle. Maybe a square crop instead of the trickery might do it for me. I do like the shot though!

3. I dont like the tree. It is an obstacle for me. It is overpowering but I dont take any pleasure in it's form. It looks like a gardeners hack job! Neat meadow though with a very pleasing bowl shape to it.

5. This one just seems a bit generic compared to your other stuff I have seen recently so I can't seem to get excited about it. You have been talking about colors. I might be tempted to paint some curvy stripes of bright yellow or orange from the left bottom corner to the top of the peak on the right as though they are some kind of exotic trees! Of course I have no experience doing iot but a zainy splash of color is on my mind. Maybe just because I am a fan of the yellow blossoms we have here in Hawai and the foreground trees looks like those trees to me.

Like this:
https://wildhawaii.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/yellow-hilo-2.jpg

7. kinda the same here. I like the composition. The foreground rocks are special but I dont "see" them with this processing. Could be my old eyes though. The sky is a bit pale and the lower rock frame is a bit subdued so the overall tone doesn't please my palette. As you may be aware this is a developing feature for me and part of the reason I am here! A beautiful band of undulating green forest between the sky and foreground would help me see the shapes better but then again it might be my poor eyesight!

just my .02, often used in real-life as the contrarian viewpoint!

Edited on Jul 12, 2017 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2017 at 03:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

1 is likeable but the foreground was competing too much with the awesome sky (I am really a sucker for the sky) and cool looking flowers reaching up to it. I tried cropping with my screen but it didnt really help make it move me. I dont know if it's done but if I had taken the image I might try a brightened (or other effect de-jour)center containing the blooms and then some tricks to effect the rest of the image like having it get darker in a ring composed about the center. There is a powerful central focus to this
...Show more

Fantastic!! Great feedback, Kev. You guys are giving me back the kinda stuff that I want/need. I'm gonna have to start prefacing my posts with making sure to remind you guys to let me know the dislikes too.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

Jeff my post should have said the tree in 3 not 2!

Your mention of asking specifically for what nags is a good one for me to use also!

Jul 12, 2017 at 03:23 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

Kevin T wrote:
Jeff my post should have said the tree in 3 not 2!

Your mention of asking specifically for what nags is a good one for me to use also!

Yeah I figured you meant 3 ha.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2017 at 04:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

?

Scott

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:20 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

sbeme wrote:
?

Scott

Nice Scott, I like!!

Was this mainly just a luminance shift?

Jeff

Jul 13, 2017 at 07:47 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

A bit more.
Increased overall contrast, moved down black point.
Bit of curves.
Reduced saturation with brush over foreground rocks and several other areas.
Reduced luminance, saturation of blues
Bit of highlight recovery
All in LR

Scott

Jul 13, 2017 at 08:09 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

sbeme wrote:
A bit more.
Increased overall contrast, moved down black point.
Bit of curves.
Reduced saturation with brush over foreground rocks and several other areas.
Reduced luminance, saturation of blues
Bit of highlight recovery
All in LR

Scott

Thanks! Where do you find yourself mostly when processing these IR shots? If I'm touching color at all I'm almost entirely in PS, but if it's a mono conversion then I just rock everything in Nik with a little finishing in LR.

Jeff

Jul 13, 2017 at 08:12 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Handful from Big Meadows/Skyline Drive Overlooks 2

I'm not sure I understand your question, Jeff.
Unless I am exploring a channel swap, I default to LR with tweaks to contrast, clarity, black point and highlights, adjustments to vibrance/sat and selective adjustments to luminosity and sat, hue, especially for the sky.
I have a saved camera profile to apply to RAW images opened in LR.

Scott

Jul 13, 2017 at 09:02 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.