Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Wedding photography without the album and post processing?

level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wedding photography without the album and post processing?

I would turn over the raw file with the right price and contract stipulating I am not associated with the files.

Not every photographers are good at everything - lighting, posing, creativity, and of course editing. If my client is a photographer/retoucher, I wouldn't mind. Editing is very subjective and your taste will change over time.

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:38 PM
dlacrosse

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wedding photography without the album and post processing?

So I AM here as a client who is trying to help my fiance find a less expensive solution for our photography/videography. Not because we're cheap (as so many have implied on this thread), and btw $5,000-7,000 is not a small line item, but because we simply cannot afford that price. We waited too long in the planning to secure someone, and now 6 weeks away I'm trying to keep my wife to be from a full on breakdown. We DO want a professional. We DO realize this is a special day and these will be our memories. We would LOVE to just say yeah go ahead 7K...no problem. Unfortunately we are paying for this ourselves and it's become a huge problem. Now we are looking for a solution that will provide us professional photographs and video, but with a smaller price tag. As the original post states - post seems like the bulk of the work here so I thought, what if we can get the raw files, have a handful edited by the photographer for immediate thanks you's, etc THEN at a later date when we can afford it either go back to them or someone else to get the remainder edited. Why is that such a shame? This is a very very expensive part of a wedding. This IS TOTALLY ABOUT COST SAVINGS and not the fact that we think we can do it better or anything like that. I literally came here to post this exact question when I saw this thread already live. So, I will ask you guys. What is the most respectful way to ask or approach a photographer in order to pay a day rate for shooting, get a couple pics included, then come back to the rest when you can afford it (likely after christmas but the wedding is September 3rd)??

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wedding photography without the album and post processing?

dlacrosse wrote:
As the original post states - post seems like the bulk of the work here so I thought, what if we can get the raw files, have a handful edited by the photographer for immediate thanks you's, etc THEN at a later date when we can afford it either go back to them or someone else to get the remainder edited. Why is that such a shame? This is a very very expensive part of a wedding.

As I mentioned in my post--the value of a *GOOD* wedding photographer is typically more about their experience, ability to navigate changes throughout the day, creative process/vision, etc. I'd say my editing is among the least important aspect about what I do and if I wanted to save myself the work, I'd outsource it for a couple hundred dollars–which brings me to the next point of a cost savings from a client perspective would maybe be a couple hundred bucks if I didn't have to edit. $500 max if I wasn't culling or editing. Others may feel differently though.

As far as Bay Area photographers go, shoot me a PM and I can give you a list of people to get in touch with that might be able to work within your budget.

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:57 PM
glort
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wedding photography without the album and post processing?

dlacrosse wrote:
What is the most respectful way to ask or approach a photographer in order to pay a day rate for shooting, get a couple pics included, then come back to the rest when you can afford it (likely after christmas but the wedding is September 3rd)??

There isn't a way you can ask this of 99% of photographers without getting them very upset.
I'm sure subsequent posts will prove that.

Each and every shooter seems to think only they can take decent wedding photographs or edit their pictures to the perfection and standard of which makes them decent and allowable for public Viewing. No one else in their individual opinions but as a collective can make decent edits of the pictures they do and it is a given that if anyone else touches them they will be a dogs breakfast and ruin their reputation for ever and soil their family name for generations.

Most grossly over estimate the value of their work based on their own proclivities and fail to take into account the massive over saturation of the market where what we do is just another easily available commodity. Everyone Thins what they do is unique and what they do is not available anywhere else even though they are all going head over heels to accomplish the same goal and take from the same pool of techniques, strategies and methods.

Keep looking. There are very decent shooters out there that are realistic and have their feet on the ground that are more flexible to the needs of their clients rather than just prioritizing their own wants and desires. You have an endless amount of shooters out there so it might just take a bit of leg work but you will find someone that will accommodate your needs.

I used to do a lot of 2nd weddings where the people wanted good photography but only the ceremony and some formals after instead of the Normal Dawn to dusk with albums, enlargements and all the rest of the usual inclusions. Most shooters had the all or nothing mentality as most still do but there are those that are happy to work something out around the customers needs and budget.

Hope your Day goes well.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:32 AM
azmerm

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wedding photography without the album and post processing?

In addition to the other replies, many of which I agree with, I also would never release the raw files. There just isn't a significant discount to provide by releasing them unless you are a photographer that outsources editing. Sure it takes me some time, but I actually enjoy it and have the workflow down so it goes relatively quickly. Otherwise, my costs of doing business really don't change, e.g., paying assistants, equipment depreciation, fixed office costs, etc.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:23 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password