Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Someth...

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Depth of Feel wrote:
My hackintosh enjoys the digestive qualities of the 980ti.

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:33 AM
eke2k6
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

ZachOly wrote:
So I'm going to eat my words here.

I just bought a AMD RX580 8GB video card, primary because I couldn't even play YouTube videos on a second monitor while editing in LR, it was so choppy

I installed the card, turned on GPU acceleration in LR, restart, and now LR in the develop module is as fast as PM when going from one photo to the next in rapid succession.

Anyone having issues with LR performance should seriously consider upgrading your GPU (sorry Mac users).

My GTX 1080 still gets choked up in LR with 1:1 previews. What previews are you using?

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:13 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

eke2k6 wrote:
My GTX 1080 still gets choked up in LR with 1:1 previews. What previews are you using?

I build 1:1 and SmartPreviews, but I run everything off a NAS

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:32 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

I have a 1080Ti and it still struggles, GPU acceleration helps only so far. Large files (36MP like the D810) still struggle in 1:1.

I force smart previews and clear cache once in a while. This makes everything smooth regardless of files or camera used.

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:07 PM
joosay
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

For me, performance/speed is way better with minimal previews but create smart previews.

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

I recently was on a chat with Adobe support. new mob/CPU messed Lr up.

side note: the i7-7820X CPU is nice for editing. just saying. love the prowlness on export.

I would, from time to time, create a new preference file. On windows... it is holding shift+alt keys then launch Lr. (I may have the key combination wrong).

With the adobe support we did it the old fashion way... rename the preference file "old" ... you could use "junk".
Then launch Lr.

It is interesting how much this clears up Lr.
I still have the memory leak.

Pulling working file off a NAS will slow any software ... especially if the files have some size.
SolidWorks (3D modeling) is no different ...actually slower. But generally i am pulling an assembly and designing for the entire day. I am not loading one model, then another, then another......

I am like Joosay ... minimal previews and create smart previews.

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:24 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Ziffl3 wrote:
Pulling working file off a NAS will slow any software ... especially if the files have some size.

Not in my case, at least nothing perceivable.

I can't tell you how much of a time saver it is to just dump the memory cards onto the NAS and never have to worry about if my wedding is on my internal drive (and which one), or on an external HD, or which drive was the backup and which has the active edits, etc.

Everything I read about how editing off a NAS is slow and how a big GPU doesn't speed up LR was dead wrong.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:18 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

This is exactly what Smart Previews was designed for and it's the direction future LR versions will leverage. Adobe's been showing some great cloud-based editing solutions in Europe.

Proxy editing is how someone can edit a TV show on an MBP sitting next to you in first class. That footage isn't in full res on their computer I can assure you.

Someday all of us will have an internal cloud with a door (and a lock) so you can access worldwide. Many of us do already.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:27 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Since I posted the pole a few weeks back regarding everyone's preferred preview method and satisfaction, I switched to SmartPreviews from 1:1 but have yet to find the love. No speed bump, and there's a momentary pixelated look while you're moving around.

That would be fine if I was leveraging a cloud-solution but not something I want while editing from a attached Thunderbolt RAID. After 3 weddings it really felt like a step backward so I'm back to 1:1. But if I was on an NAS, SmartPreviews all the way.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

ZachOly wrote:
Not in my case, at least nothing perceivable.

I can't tell you how much of a time saver it is to just dump the memory cards onto the NAS and never have to worry about if my wedding is on my internal drive (and which one), or on an external HD, or which drive was the backup and which has the active edits, etc.

Everything I read about how editing off a NAS is slow and how a big GPU doesn't speed up LR was dead wrong.

Cool to know about a NAS setup then.

Total with you on the GPU. Really glad I went with a wx5100 Radeon pro... this version has 8gig gram.
Mark

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password