Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Someth...

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/11/adobe-admits-lightroom-slow-says-speeding-top-priority/

Jul 11, 2017 at 05:06 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Most improvements are a 12-step program. Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

I toast to that future day when we all feel like we got new speedy computers overnight.

Jul 11, 2017 at 06:05 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

That's what you get with subscription software.

Last big feature update was like 2013 with the adjustment brush and spot removal.

Jul 11, 2017 at 06:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

ZachOly wrote:
That's what you get with subscription software.

I'm still not on CC version of LR

Jul 11, 2017 at 06:19 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Did the survey.
1. brush issues after 10-15 images.
2. the lack of utilization of hardware for importing/preview generation.
3. every 6 months, need to replace the %appdata% (preference file) to clean up little flaky-ness.

could have added:
4. Use 1 catalog per client because of poor data base performance with large number of images in catalog.
5. Poor utilization of RAM. sometimes restart required to clear memory and remove sluggish performance.

This is still a year away.
I keep poking my head at capture one.
Not quite there..... almost.

on adobe and Petapixel
I see many people complaining how they have great hardware and lousy performance.
And yet the same people have poor graphics card and large monitors.

Not making an excuse for Lr... just an observation.

Another thought.... files have been growing in the last 5-6 years.
from clasic 5D or D700 to 5DmkIV/D800.... the sensors are cranking some big files out.

-Mark

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:19 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Ziffl3 wrote:
on adobe and Petapixel
I see many people complaining how they have great hardware and lousy performance.
And yet the same people have poor graphics card and large monitors.

Not making an excuse for Lr... just an observation.

They are not really poor cards, the default factory cards are considerably better than anything prior to them. But the buyer really has no idea what to buy or what is need, there is no chart or table to guide one in knowing what to purchase. How much lifting power do you need in a card for today's displays and digital files?

Ziffl3 wrote:
Another thought.... files have been growing in the last 5-6 years.
from clasic 5D or D700 to 5DmkIV/D800.... the sensors are cranking some big files out.

-Mark

Yes and no, file size is all relative. 36-45 mb files are large compared to what we have seen over the last 12-15 years from dSLRs. But not large in comparison to medium or large format film scans or digital captures. In the days of film my file sized averaged 150 mb, rarely did I have a file size less than 100 mb and frequently worked with 300-400 mb files. So big big files have been around for a long time now.

Additionally, C1 does not struggle with files like LR does.

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:32 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

If you use a hardware monitor while using LR you'll know that LR hardly touches the video card.

There's no need for my CPU to spike to 75-90% when switching between photos in the develop module.

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:56 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

MRomine wrote:
I'm still not on CC version of LR

I'm still boycotting all things Adobe. I have refused to use or support them since the swap to CC.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

amonline wrote:
I'm still boycotting all things Adobe. I have refused to use or support them since the swap to CC.

I really really want the people that make the PS clone which sells for peanuts (affinity photo?) to do it with LR.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

"I would like to address concerns recently voiced by our community of customers around Lightroom performance, as improving performance is our current top priority."

Lol, I love how he qualified the voiced concerns as being raised "recently"

In Adobe Land, "recently" apparently stretches to five+ years.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

I'm still on LR5 with no plans to upgrade. If I do, it very well could be Capture One if Adobe doesn't improve dramatically.

Jul 13, 2017 at 06:36 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

I assume that we will be forced to fill out Adobe forms, download and update everything Adobe for at least six months after the speed fix. I still get warnings I need to update Adobe reader to > 9.0 every time I download pdf payroll files. I've had Adobe reader 11.0 installed for several years but still get the warning.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

The amount of time I spend yelling at LR is staggering.

Jul 13, 2017 at 02:11 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

joelconner wrote:
The amount of time I spend yelling at LR is staggering.

I used to do that. Now I use the time to pour something stiff to drink. And then after everything is said and done, I have no mental capacity to care what LR is or is not doing.

Jul 14, 2017 at 04:42 AM
FFaccount

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

just watch how fast LR could be. The worst part is that their own software runs faster on an ipad than on a computer.

If you want the speed now switch to capture one. I have done it and it's light years ahead. Not only in speed but also in sharpening and skin tone adjustments.

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:18 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

FFaccount wrote:
just watch how fast LR could be. The worst part is that their own software runs faster on an ipad than on a computer.

If you want the speed now switch to capture one. I have done it and it's light years ahead. Not only in speed but also in sharpening and skin tone adjustments.

When Mastin Presets are available for Capture One, I'm gone.

Jul 17, 2017 at 05:03 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

ZachOly wrote:
If you use a hardware monitor while using LR you'll know that LR hardly touches the video card.

There's no need for my CPU to spike to 75-90% when switching between photos in the develop module.

So I'm going to eat my words here.

I just bought a AMD RX580 8GB video card, primary because I couldn't even play YouTube videos on a second monitor while editing in LR, it was so choppy

I installed the card, turned on GPU acceleration in LR, restart, and now LR in the develop module is as fast as PM when going from one photo to the next in rapid succession.

Anyone having issues with LR performance should seriously consider upgrading your GPU (sorry Mac users).

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Not sure were you have been.... but yes... a big gpu to match a large screen is necessary for Lr.
Enjoy your upgrade.

Mark

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

My hackintosh enjoys the digestive qualities of the 980ti.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:06 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ha, Adobe Finally Admits that LR is Slow - Tell me Something I Don't Know

Last week we built a liquid cooled PC monster for video editing. My son and I spec'd the parts and it went together in one evening. The box we got is huge ... will hold 4 liquid cooling systems, and we loaded it up with two boot drives (one M2 on the motherboard) and four 4TB storage drives, paired in RAID 1.

Big fun. I'm now not scared of hackintosh (well, not much).

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password