New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

gaopa
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

If this has already been discussed, please forgive me, but my search did not yield any threads.

I'm wondering if there is another/smaller lens hood/shade that will work on the Fuji 18-55/2.8-4 lens other than the scalloped one supplied with the lens?
TIA, Bill

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

You,can get a vented metal screw on hood. That's what I have on mine.

Jul 11, 2017 at 01:30 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

Thanks, Edward. I will check to see what I can find.

Jul 11, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

What's the problem with the stock unit, other than difficulty in attaching?

Jul 11, 2017 at 03:02 PM
Elisha82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

Just be aware that the screw-on ones will damage the filter screw thread upon impact if you are not careful. Look for a bayonet type replacement instead. They tend to be stronger and absorb impact better!

Jul 11, 2017 at 03:59 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

I found a vented metal hood on Amazon and have it on order. I'm eager to fit it and see how I like it.

While there is nothing wrong with the OEM scallop hood, I just don't like the size nor the looks of it. I would prefer something smaller.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:11 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

gaopa wrote:
I found a vented metal hood on Amazon and have it on order. I'm eager to fit it and see how I like it.

While there is nothing wrong with the OEM scallop hood, I just don't like the size nor the looks of it. I would prefer something smaller.

How about sharing the link to that please. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:39 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

Leighton W, here is the link

https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-LT58-Vented-Metal-Voigtlander/dp/B005EO56K6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499856150&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=fotasy+58mm+lens+shade+for+fujifilm

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

My after-market lens slotted lens hood for my 18-55/2.8-4 lens came today from Amazon. It is just what I wanted. The scalloped OEM hooded did not appeal to me at all and yet I wanted a lens hood. I am very pleased.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

GRRRR.... the lens hood I got has vignetting in the corners. :-(

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

Thought it might. I'm still trying to understand why you would think any aftermarket hood would be better than the Fuji one. It is designed to function perfectly with it's mating lens with no vignetting. It's shape gives maximum protection from stray light, it matches the color and texture of the lens, as well. Who cares what it looks like. It works best. Why do you think it is shaped that way?!!

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:36 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

You are right, Jeffrey, the Fuji lens hood fits perfectly on the 18-55 lens and does a great job, but I think it sticks out to far. I am looking for a more stubby shade that does not vignette. For street photography the smaller and more compact looking and feeling is my objective.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:56 AM
padrelar

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

Have you considered purchasing an extra Fuji hood and shaving it down to suit?

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:06 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

padrelar wrote:
Have you considered purchasing an extra Fuji hood and shaving it down to suit?

If I had the skills, that would be a good idea, padrelar, as I like everything about the OEM hood except for the long top/bottom scallop parts.

Jul 16, 2017 at 01:29 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

gaopa wrote:
You are right, Jeffrey, the Fuji lens hood fits perfectly on the 18-55 lens and does a great job, but I think it sticks out to far. I am looking for a more stubby shade that does not vignette. For street photography the smaller and more compact looking and feeling is my objective.

Two options I can quickly think of. Simply don't use a hood for street photography. When I'm in the shade, which is where I prefer to shoot, there's no need. Or, take the hood to a belt sander and remove some material from the end of the hood.

Jul 16, 2017 at 03:58 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

gaopa wrote:

One would think that the lens designer would make a lens hood that will WORK effectively; isn't that more important than how it looks on the camera??

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:28 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

PhotoTeacher, I had already decided to go with no hood when not needed so I agree with you on that.

Yes, function is the most important thing. However, looks are important to me as well. Let me clarify, when I'm out walking about shooting on the street etc. I don't want a camera which calls attention to itself. To me the scallop shade calls attention. I prefer to fly under the radar and for my camera to as well.

My X-Pro2/23/1.4 is the ideal street camera as it simply draws no notice at all. If it does draw notice, it does not scream professional photographer. Again, under the radar is always my goal.

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:43 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

gaopa wrote:
PhotoTeacher, I had already decided to go with no hood when not needed so I agree with you on that.

Yes, function is the most important thing. However, looks are important to me as well. Let me clarify, when I'm out walking about shooting on the street etc. I don't want a camera which calls attention to itself. To me the scallop shade calls attention. I prefer to fly under the radar and for my camera to as well.

My X-Pro2/23/1.4 is the ideal street camera as it simply draws no notice at all. If it does draw notice, it does
...Show more

Understood.

I guess no hood would be the least noticeable way to go, but I guess some protection would be a good idea!

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:18 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

I think you are right, PhotoTeacher, I much prefer having a hood on my lenses at all time. Not only does a hood shade when necessary, but it provides some protection of the lens.

I have been looking at other alternatives for a hood. Perhaps even a collapsible rubber hood would work.

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · lens hood/shade for the Fuji 18-55 lens

Perhaps the OP would be more comfortably under the radar if he was using a camera like this!

Jul 16, 2017 at 08:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password