New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

spoupard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

I hope to be making a new purchase in the next month. Unfortunately, there aren't any local camera stores that carry Fujifilm cameras, so I won't be able to hold and play with the camera prior to purchase. So here's my question for those who have used both the X-E1/E2 and the X-T20: how do they compare with regard to size and weight?

I currently have an X-E1 and I'm very familiar with how it handles. I've read that some say the X-T20 is too small while others say it is okay. I'm okay with the X-T20 as long as it is similar in size to the X-E1. Otherwise, I may have to delay my purchase a while and continue to save for the X-T2. I know the differences between the X-T20 and X-T2, but the X-T20 will more than meet my needs as far as all other specs are concerned. Size is my primary concern.

Does anyone have any wisdom to share? I will be purchasing from somewhere where I an return the camera, if necessary, but prefer not to have to do that. Thanks for all input and advice.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:23 PM
callmebrick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

I've never used or held an XE-1 but I rented an XT-20 for a week and found it a bit hard to handle with a 18-55 zoom. It's lack of RH grip makes it hard to operate one-handed, if that's your thing. I kept bumping the menu button with the lower part of my thumb.

I liked the EVF and the images though. Almost enough to buy one. I'm glad I rented instead of buying sight unseen.

Jul 10, 2017 at 02:11 PM
spoupard
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

callmebrick wrote:
I've never used or held an XE-1 but I rented an XT-20 for a week and found it a bit hard to handle with a 18-55 zoom. It's lack of RH grip makes it hard to operate one-handed, if that's your thing. I kept bumping the menu button with the lower part of my thumb.

I liked the EVF and the images though. Almost enough to buy one. I'm glad I rented instead of buying sight unseen.

Thanks for your input. If I choose to go with the X-T20, I will definitely put a grip on it to make it a little easier to use. I have one on my X-E1 and would hate to have to use the camera without it. With the grip, though, I don't have any problems with the X-E1.

Jul 10, 2017 at 02:46 PM
dropmyload

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

I bought the X-T20 and struggled without a grip. Got a nice cheapo grip off Amazon and now the camera fits in my hand.

I also got a wrist strap to assist.

Jul 11, 2017 at 06:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cheem
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

I have a XT1 and XT20 with the Fuji grip and it made a world of difference on the handling of the camera. I also have a OP-TECH neoprene modular wrist strap as a safety.

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:18 AM
tobycat2
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

I liked the xe2 for the rangefinder format. With certain primes it just slipped in and out of the bag. The xt10 I tried (close enough to xt20 form factor) was about the same physical dimensions but for some reason felt too small with its button/dial set up whereas the xe2 felt like it balanced better. I only used primes on it though.

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:45 AM
Karel Geertsem
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question re: size and usaability of X-E1 vs X-T20

I have both, the wait for the X-E3 was too long.

Tech info regarding size and weight can be found at camerasize: http://camerasize.com/compare/#371,703comparing x-e1 to x-t20

They are pretty close in size and weight, yet the feel is totally different. For lack of better words, the X-E1 feels lighter, more "hollow", whereas the X-T20 feels much denser, "filled with metal".

Yeahhhh, I do prefer the X-E1 a bit, seems less cluttered and does not have that flash bumb, though there is no doubt the X-T20 is far superior as a camera.

On the X-E1 I repeatedly bumped the exposure compensation off it's "0" setting. Never happened with the X-T20. Also, the X-E1 is easy to switch on unintentionally, whilst putting the camera in a bag.
On the X-E1 my thumb always seems to find the AE-L / AF-L button, or worse, the Q button and setting the camera to entirely different setting. My thumb does that with the 4-way controller on the X-T20.

No need for a grip for me, I use a DSPTCH wrist strap on the X-T20, which I like a lot.

That's all for me.

Oh, wait, there's more :-) I DID handle the X-T2 and that one sure is bigger and heavier than both the X-E1/X-T20. Since I wanted the smallest and lightest camera plus price difference: no competition here to me, since I don't need all the extra functionality of the X-T2 - but boy that X-T2 EVF shure blows everything else out of the water (except maybe that one Leica....)

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password