Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photograph...
  
 
Sagar
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


Thanks Mitesh :-) I believe you had or have Sony too. Whatís your take about Sony? Sometimes I get tempted as newer FE lenses seem to be excellent and light weight.

I tried Sony sometime back out of curiosity but didnít feel confident about body toughness. To me, Sony (and Fuji to an extent) always felt delicate compared to Canikon or PanyOly

mitesh wrote:
Sagarbhai,

I think this is a great idea and would be a terrific setup. Throw 17/1.8 or 25/1.8 in with these two, and I think you would have a nice kit to take there.





Jul 13, 2017 at 02:31 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


You are right that Sony bodies are not as robust nor as weather-sealed as the E-M1/1.2 bodies. But they are good cameras and produce high resolution files - which is great for cropping. I was thinking of using my A7R II strictly for landscape work. Now that they have released the FE 12-24/4 GM lens there is more compelling reason for me to hold on to the camera and replace my 16-35 with the 12-24. But someone wants to see my A7R II this afternoon, so I am obligated to sell it for $2,200 but I won't entertain any haggling. If I can't get my asking price I think I will keep it.

As far as I know, Mitesh does not have a Sony. He was a Canon shooter.

Sagar wrote:
Thanks Mitesh :-) I believe you had or have Sony too. Whatís your take about Sony? Sometimes I get tempted as newer FE lenses seem to be excellent and light weight.

I tried Sony sometime back out of curiosity but didnít feel confident about body toughness. To me, Sony (and Fuji to an extent) always felt delicate compared to Canikon or PanyOly






Jul 13, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Sagar
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


Thanks Bobby. Actually I meant you when I was referring to Sony :-)

bobbytan wrote:
You are right that Sony bodies are not as robust nor as weather-sealed as the E-M1/1.2 bodies. But they are good cameras and produce high resolution files - which is great for cropping. I was thinking of using my A7R II strictly for landscape work. Now that they have released the FE 12-24/4 GM lens there is more compelling reason for me to hold on to the camera and replace my 16-35 with the 12-24. But someone wants to see my A7R II this afternoon, so I am obligated to sell it for $2,200 but I won't entertain any haggling.
...Show more



Jul 13, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Trots
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


I actually just came back from Lofoten using an EM1.2 and the answer, like others replied, is definitely yes. Read my thoughts and see some pics here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1500318

My 2 cents about m43 vs FF for landscape:
Landscape, like pretty much all of photography, is a lot about light and composition. Those 1-2EV in dynamic range advantage that FF offers tends to be useful only in salvaging a few pics that have bad or difficult lighting to begin with and the result is often borderline unnatural (HDR) looking and mediocre. Have a look at before and after here for example of what I mean:


The end result, maybe impressive, but just slightly 'off' for me. Lifting shadows, as well as pulling down highlights, is easily overdone. Instead, the best pics tend to have good lighting to begin with.

The resolution difference is much smaller than you might think and hi-res makes up for it in many cases (for landscape work at least). When doing research for EM1.2 vs Sony A7R2 I was more impressed with the Olympus HiRes shots I saw. Better colors, less noise.



Jul 19, 2017 at 09:33 PM
Sagar
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


Trots, Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. (actual experience in same location etc.)

This thread have been an eye opener for me in a way. I always felt insured whenever I carried m43 even when my photos were much better than my friends with Canikons. As someone said, I think its just in mind. On paper results are very impressive and specially for hobbyist like me, current Oly is much more camera than my skills



Jul 20, 2017 at 11:57 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


The "bigger is better" philosophy will never go away. So get over this mindset. In most cases, and if you are shooting with pro-grade lenses, the m43 photos are just as good and maybe even better than the Canikon photos - thanks to the incredible IBIS.

Sagar wrote:
Trots, Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. (actual experience in same location etc.)

This thread have been an eye opener for me in a way. I always felt insured whenever I carried m43 even when my photos were much better than my friends with Canikons. As someone said, I think its just in mind. On paper results are very impressive and specially for hobbyist like me, current Oly is much more camera than my skills




Jul 21, 2017 at 03:39 PM
alatoo60
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


Sagar,

as everyone above, I'd say that Oly camera/s are more than adequate. The question about lenses is, however, more interesting. I've been Olympus shooter for a very long time, and have some collection of OM, 4/3 and M4/3 lenses. Out of all of them, my favorites for landscape photography are Zuiko 12-60, 50-200, and M.7-14. Actually, I can probably survive without the latter, but the first two are the best and most versatile set, even if they are heavier than M 4/3. On a recent trip/workshop to Olympic Peninsula, after some hesitations, I left M.12-40 at home, took 12-60 instead, and never regretted the decision.

Sasha.



Jul 23, 2017 at 07:35 AM
millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


alatoo60 wrote:
Sagar,

as everyone above, I'd say that Oly camera/s are more than adequate. The question about lenses is, however, more interesting. I've been Olympus shooter for a very long time, and have some collection of OM, 4/3 and M4/3 lenses. Out of all of them, my favorites for landscape photography are Zuiko 12-60, 50-200, and M.7-14. Actually, I can probably survive without the latter, but the first two are the best and most versatile set, even if they are heavier than M 4/3. On a recent trip/workshop to Olympic Peninsula, after some hesitations, I left M.12-40 at home, took 12-60
...Show more


Did you find this came down to image quality in the overlapping range ? Or did you find you took a lot of shots in the 40-60mm range ??

I previously had the PanLeica 12-60, before switching to the 12-40 and found that I never really used the longer end of the zoom. If I wanted 60mm, I probably wanted to switch to the 75/1.8

Optically I'm quite impressed with the 12-40 though, finding it amazing sharp across the entire frame at every focal length, and with no need to stop down in most cases unless I need more DoF.



Jul 23, 2017 at 02:46 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


If you already have the PL 12-60 I am curious as to why did you would switch to the Oly 12-40? Doesn't the PL lens have a better rendering like most PL primes?

millsart wrote:
Did you find this came down to image quality in the overlapping range ? Or did you find you took a lot of shots in the 40-60mm range ??

I previously had the PanLeica 12-60, before switching to the 12-40 and found that I never really used the longer end of the zoom. If I wanted 60mm, I probably wanted to switch to the 75/1.8

Optically I'm quite impressed with the 12-40 though, finding it amazing sharp across the entire frame at every focal length, and with no need to stop down in most cases unless I need more DoF.




Jul 23, 2017 at 05:25 PM
millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


bobbytan wrote:
If you already have the PL 12-60 I am curious as to why did you would switch to the Oly 12-40? Doesn't the PL lens have a better rendering like most PL primes?




The 12-40 was close to 50% the price of the 12-60 PL, and while perhaps a bit silly, I just kind of figured since its going on an Olympus body (EM1.2) it makes more sense to use an Olympus lens.

When I had the GH5 I of course wouldn't of considered the 12-40, 12-60 PL being the obvious choice there.

I'm not 100% on this either, but I believe that a few Olympus features like focus stacking and Pro Capture (never really used either to date) on the EM1.2 only with with Olympus glass as well, correct ?




Jul 23, 2017 at 06:55 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


I don't really know but I would think that features like focus stacking and Pro Capture would work with any m43 lens. Sync-IS would be a different story.

millsart wrote:
The 12-40 was close to 50% the price of the 12-60 PL, and while perhaps a bit silly, I just kind of figured since its going on an Olympus body (EM1.2) it makes more sense to use an Olympus lens.

When I had the GH5 I of course wouldn't of considered the 12-40, 12-60 PL being the obvious choice there.

I'm not 100% on this either, but I believe that a few Olympus features like focus stacking and Pro Capture (never really used either to date) on the EM1.2 only with with Olympus glass as well, correct ?





Jul 23, 2017 at 07:43 PM
millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


It looks like features like the image camera focus stacking only work with Olympus glass, and only specific models at that.

The following lenses will support Focus stacking direct in camera:
⦁ Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
⦁ Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
⦁ Olympus 300mm f/4 PRO
⦁ Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro
⦁ Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro



Jul 24, 2017 at 04:08 AM
alatoo60
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


millsart wrote:
Did you find this came down to image quality in the overlapping range ? Or did you find you took a lot of shots in the 40-60mm range ??

I previously had the PanLeica 12-60, before switching to the 12-40 and found that I never really used the longer end of the zoom. If I wanted 60mm, I probably wanted to switch to the 75/1.8

Optically I'm quite impressed with the 12-40 though, finding it amazing sharp across the entire frame at every focal length, and with no need to stop down in most cases unless I need more DoF.


I do take pictures in the 40-60mm range, but it's not only about the range and image quality (it's very similar to 12-40 in this respect). It's hard to explain, but to me, this lens feels more artistic than 12-40mm.
When it went bad after about 8 years of active use, and went back to Olympus for repair for a couple of months, I felt orphaned, even if I still had kit M.12-50, and M.12-40mm.



Jul 24, 2017 at 06:02 AM
Sagar
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


Actually I feel the same. Olympus 4/3 lenses images feel more organic to me compared to their m43 siblings which feel more digital. I had E510 with few lenses I could never get same ďmagicĒ from m43 siblings, something thatís hard to explain.

alatoo60 wrote:
I do take pictures in the 40-60mm range, but it's not only about the range and image quality (it's very similar to 12-40 in this respect). It's hard to explain, but to me, this lens feels more artistic than 12-40mm.
When it went bad after about 8 years of active use, and went back to Olympus for repair for a couple of months, I felt orphaned, even if I still had kit M.12-50, and M.12-40mm.




Jul 24, 2017 at 08:29 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


This is a must-read review for those contemplating switching to m43:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1501028



Jul 25, 2017 at 12:57 AM
savingspaces
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


bobbytan wrote:
This is a must-read review for those contemplating switching to m43:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1501028


Hey Bobby, did you sell the A7rII?



Jul 25, 2017 at 06:18 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


Yes I did.

savingspaces wrote:
Hey Bobby, did you sell the A7rII?





Jul 25, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Henning
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


bobbytan wrote:
I am in a similar situation. I have the 12-40 (not well built for a pro-grade lens IMO) and 40-150 PRO.


I'd be interested to hear your opinion with regard to the lens not being 'well built for a pro-grade lens'. I have 5 of Olympus' Pro lenses at present and am quite satisfied with all of them, including the 12-40.

More on topic - I took some Olympus bodies (the EM1.2 wasn't out yet) to the Canadian Arctic with me last year, and for lenses took the 12-40, 40-150/2.8, Panasonic 100-400 and 7-14 as well as the 25/1.4. No tripods, as we were on a ship or Zodiac most of the time. The image stabilization allowed me to get sharp shots of birds at 800mm efl from the Zodiac, which was definitely impossible for the Canon/Nikon users. 500mm was a stretch, with a lower hit rate than I had.

A lot of salt water got sprayed on the cameras while in the Zodiac, so to clean that off I took the cameras with lenses attached (not the 7-14 or 25/1.4) into the shower with me and rinsed them off. Salt is worse than just about anything. The EM-1's were fine, as were the lenses.

This next winter we are planning a trip to Antarctica, and since I really didn't use the 7-14 at anything except 7mm, I intend to replace it with the 7.5mm/2 Laowa I got recently. It turned out to be an excellent lens, and it's tiny. I also now have the 12-100/4, so I won't take the 12-40 or 40-150 but will take the 17/1.8 and 75/1.8, The 25/1.4 will stay home as well.

Since I've satisfied myself that I can print 30x40" prints from m43 that are technically better than I used to get from 645 SLR and film, I haven't doubted m43. I also have a full digital Leica M system with many lenses and a Sony A7RII with again, many lenses but would not consider either for this sort of trip. The Sony is too slow and clunky. The Leica is clearly the wrong camera, and the Sony is mostly a machine that creates great files, not a finished photographic tool. Did I mention it's slow? The m43 system is the optimal one to take on a trip like this, in my opinion.

In the 80's I'd be the guy carrying 2 Nikon F bodies with motors, lenses from 15 to 400 plus 2 Leica M's with 4 lenses around on holidays with my family. Other photographer's would OOH and AAH. Now, with the m43's and many people carrying Nikon 810's with 200-500 lenses plus other gear, I'm sure any comments they make about my gear are derogatory. It really doesn't matter.



Aug 01, 2017 at 04:22 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


There were many reports of the rear mounting breaking off even with a weak fall. Mine came apart when it fell from my sitting position - approx 2 feet onto a carpeted floor. A pro-grade lens has to be stronger than that. Fortunately my copy was still under warranty so it didnít cost me anything to get it fixed by Olympus. If you do a Google search you will find a few different stories like this one:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/is-the-olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-12-40mm-f-2-8-pro-lens-fragile.57700/#post574329

I had the 1st generation lens. The latter versions/copies may be better but I donít really know.

I have rinsed my E-M1 and 12-40mm lens under a running tap after a shoot on the dusty dunes in Death Valley. But I wouldnít do this regularly as you never know if the rubber seal on the camera or lens may have been compromised over time. Only do this if you absolutely have to, and do it quickly.

Yes, you can make prints of 40Ē if your images are not heavily cropped or badly under-exposed.

And Yes, many ignorant FF shooters look at m43 with great disdain. To be sure, m43 files are not as good as high-resolution FF files but they are pretty darn good, and better than most FF cameras of a few years ago.

Henning wrote:
I'd be interested to hear your opinion with regard to the lens not being 'well built for a pro-grade lens'. I have 5 of Olympus' Pro lenses at present and am quite satisfied with all of them, including the 12-40.

More on topic - I took some Olympus bodies (the EM1.2 wasn't out yet) to the Canadian Arctic with me last year, and for lenses took the 12-40, 40-150/2.8, Panasonic 100-400 and 7-14 as well as the 25/1.4. No tripods, as we were on a ship or Zodiac most of the time. The image stabilization allowed me to get sharp shots
...Show more



Aug 01, 2017 at 03:05 PM
millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?


bobbytan wrote:
And Yes, many ignorant FF shooters look at m43 with great disdain. To be sure, m43 files are not as good as high-resolution FF files but they are pretty darn good, and better than most FF cameras of a few years ago.




Hey now.... my $9000 (can't believe I spent that much on a camera body) 11megapixel Canon 1Ds resembles that remark ...



Aug 01, 2017 at 03:46 PM
1      
2
       3       end






FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password