Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photograph...

Sagar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

I am planning to go for a photography workshop in Lofoten Island and wondering if I can do it all alone with M43 setup or FF setup is a must. Ideally I would prefer to carry single system, hence the question.

I have EM1.2 with 12-40 and D750 with 50/1.8 (which I rarely use). I was thinking of renting/buying Panasonic 8-18 along with some tele lens and EM5 II back up body as my only system for the trip.

Do you think EM1.2 with above lenses is good enough to a level where I won’t regret carrying FF setup instead? Also any suggestions on lenses or other items which I should keep in mind?

Edited on Jul 09, 2017 at 01:37 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2017 at 12:56 PM
nma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Sagar wrote:
I am planning to go for a photography workshop in Lofoten Island and wondering if I can do it all alone with M43 setup or FF setup is a must. Ideally I would prefer to carry single system, hence the question.

I have EM1.2 with 12-40 and D750 with 50/1.8 (which I rarely use). I was thinking of renting/buying Panasonic 8-18 along with some tele lens and EM5 II back up body as my only system for the trip.

Do you think EM1.2 with above lenses is good enough to a level where I won’t regret carrying FF setup instead?
Also any
...Show more

The EM1.2 and the EM 5.2 should be more than adequate. You will appreciate the weatherproof bodies and lenses. The question of lens coverage is more interesting. I would want, in addition to the 12-40, a 35-100 , ideally a 50-200 and an 8-18 for this trip. I think the tele-zooms are more important than the wide, to allow for tight compositions of inaccessible features. This is how M43 is optimized for large prints, with minimal cropping.

A stable tripod is the most important item. And don't forget some ND filters to smooth out flowing water. M43, with a good lens, can make pics suitable for enlargement to about 30x40 in. It is that combination of lens quality, a stable shooting platform and well-judged choice of aperture, best is f4-f5.6 for landscape. Both of your cameras allow high res shooting. You should certainly make use of that feature on your Loftern trip. And so, there is nothing to worry about regarding equipment.

Now, the question is (tongue in cheek) what will your trip-mates say/think when you show up with your little m43 when they will be toting the biggest and baddest canikon, with huge zooms and their RRS tripods?

Jul 09, 2017 at 01:34 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

The E-M1.2 is more than adequate for landscape work. You would probably want the Oly 7-14 PRO or Pan-Leica 8-18mm lens to complement your 12-40 PRO. If you need more resolution to make a really large print, you can always do a pano-stitch or shoot in the High-Res Mode. The Pan-Leica 25/1.4 is a great lens for pano work. I shot with the E-M1 on my last trip to Iceland. The auroras were shot with the Olympus 12/2 lens.

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p617203126

Check out the images on this thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452357

Check out Aurel Manea's work on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/aurel.manea/media_set?set=a.10154959579134102.1073741892.693669101&type=3&pnref=story

Also Diego Martin's work:

http://www.diegogm.es/Galeria

And the work of these other Olympus Visionaries:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/visionaries?ref=CJ

Also ....

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4115387

Jul 09, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Thanks, I do have a decent tripod but wondering about filter system. Any idea normal ND filters works okay? I remember reading a thread about EM1.2 requiring IRND filters.

On the wide end I am torn between Oly 7-14 vs Pany 8-18 specially considering current Oly promotions both costs same, making decision more difficult.
In general I am not a tele shooter per say, so was not looking much into it. I may end up renting some basic tele like 45-200 or something equivalent. Hope that is sufficient and 2.8 tele is not necessary

nma wrote:

The EM1.2 and the EM 5.2 should be more than adequate. You will appreciate the weatherproof bodies and lenses. The question of lens coverage is more interesting. I would want, in addition to the 12-40, a 35-100 , ideally a 50-200 and an 8-18 for this trip. I think the tele-zooms are more important than the wide, to allow for tight compositions of inaccessible features. This is how M43 is optimized for large prints, with minimal cropping.

A stable tripod is the most important item. And don't forget some ND filters to smooth out flowing water. M43, with a good
...Show more

Jul 10, 2017 at 04:47 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Bobby

Thank you for pointing me to so many great sources. You and Diego are the primary reason I am even thinking about making it solo m43 adventure, if I can pictures half good as you and Diego, I will consider my trip and kit to be smashing success :-)

Any suggestions between Oly 7-14 vs Pany 8-12?

bobbytan wrote:
The E-M1.2 is more than adequate for landscape work. You would probably want the Oly 7-14 PRO or Pan-Leica 8-18mm lens to complement your 12-40 PRO. If you need more resolution to make a really large print, you can always do a pano-stitch or shoot in the High-Res Mode. The Pan-Leica 25/1.4 is a great lens for pano work. I shot with the E-M1 on my last trip to Iceland. The auroras were shot with the Olympus 12/2 lens.

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p617203126

Check out the images on this thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452357

Check out Aurel Manea's work on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/aurel.manea/media_set?set=a.10154959579134102.1073741892.693669101&type=3&pnref=story

Also Diego Martin's work:

http://www.diegogm.es/Galeria

And the work of these other Olympus
...Show more

Jul 10, 2017 at 04:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Personally I would go with the PL 8-18 because of lighter weight and the fact that you can use regular filters without resorting to a bulky adaptor. Yes, you do give up the 14mm FL - which is quite significant - but you do gain some at the longer end. The loss of speed is less significant, and IQ wise I don't think the difference is significant.

Sagar wrote:
Bobby

Thank you for pointing me to so many great sources. You and Diego are the primary reason I am even thinking about making it solo m43 adventure, if I can pictures half good as you and Diego, I will consider my trip and kit to be smashing success :-)

Any suggestions between Oly 7-14 vs Pany 8-12?

Jul 10, 2017 at 05:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

The Oly 12-100 is supposed to be a terrific lens although it's somewhat expensive.

Sagar wrote:
Thanks, I do have a decent tripod but wondering about filter system. Any idea normal ND filters works okay? I remember reading a thread about EM1.2 requiring IRND filters.

On the wide end I am torn between Oly 7-14 vs Pany 8-18 specially considering current Oly promotions both costs same, making decision more difficult.
In general I am not a tele shooter per say, so was not looking much into it. I may end up renting some basic tele like 45-200 or something equivalent. Hope that is sufficient and 2.8 tele is not necessary

Jul 10, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

I thought about it but it heavily overlaps with 12-40 I have, which makes me hesitant to put so much money down for it.
But agree 8-12 and 12-100 could be an awesome combo supported by fast prime or two for low light.

bobbytan wrote:
The Oly 12-100 is supposed to be a terrific lens although it's somewhat expensive.

Jul 11, 2017 at 03:16 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

I am in a similar situation. I have the 12-40 (not well built for a pro-grade lens IMO) and 40-150 PRO. I sold the Oly 7-14 and Panny 7-14 so I may get the PL 8-18. I am hoping Olympus will come out with a relatively fast w/a lens between 6 and 12mm or a 6-12mm zoom lens like the Sigma 12-24 Art lens.

Sagar wrote:
I thought about it but it heavily overlaps with 12-40 I have, which makes me hesitant to put so much money down for it.
But agree 8-12 and 12-100 could be an awesome combo supported by fast prime or two for low light.

Jul 11, 2017 at 05:53 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Sagarbhai,

I think this is a great idea and would be a terrific setup. Throw 17/1.8 or 25/1.8 in with these two, and I think you would have a nice kit to take there.

Sagar wrote:

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Sagar wrote:

Do you think EM1.2 with above lenses is good enough to a level where I won’t regret carrying FF setup instead? Also any
...Show more

I'd say that if Jay Dickman is happy with M4/3, we should be as well.

Jul 12, 2017 at 01:18 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

All the Olympus Visionaries are professional photographers. And there are many, many other photographers who are making living from their m43 gear.

The people who think m43 is not good enough are mostly insecure and delusional amateur photographers who believe or think that a FF camera will make them better photographers.

Jul 12, 2017 at 01:45 AM
ijm5012

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

The short answer is yes, m43 will be adequate for the workshop. The thing that I would question are your abilities, and the only reason I say that is your concern of whether or not the camera would be "good enough". As many have shown here, you can take excellent photos with m43 cameras. It's not the camera that makes the photo, but rather the subject, composition, and lighting, all of which are irrespective of the camera being used.

In addition to this, Olympus has some unique and innovative features that may make it even better than a larger sensor camera. Features like hi-res (64MP with E-M5 II, 80MP with Pen-F & E-M1 II), Live Comp/Bulb/Time (for long exposure shots), IBIS or Sync IS (for shots where tripods may not be allowed), etc.

I think the question you should ask yourself is whether or not you fully understand all the features of your camera(s) in order to extract the best possible quality files from them.

Regarding lenses, if you have the 12-40 PRO, the logical choice for tele would be either the 40-150 PRO or 35-100/2.8 from Panasonic. However, if you're going to be doing a lot of tripod-based work, the f/2.8 vs f/4 difference doesn't really matter, so it may be worth condensing down to the 12-100 (which gives you 24-200mm worth of range, more than enough for landscape shots). On the wide end, I would recommend the PanaLeica 8-18, simply because of the filter threads. I owned a 7-14 PRO along with an external filter system, and sold it to get the 8-18 PRO simply because of the screw-in filter threads (although the smaller size and weight is very much appreciated). To be honest, I see no differences in image quality (I actually think my 8-18 is better because it doesn't have the severe field curvature that the 7-14 did), and the variable f/2.8-4 aperture isn't a big deal for me, especially given all of the "advantages" the lens has over the 7-14 PRO.

I'd say buy the PanaLeica 8-18 and 12-100 PRO, a 67 to 72mm step-up ring for the PanaLeica 8-18, and whatever filters you want in a 72mm diameter so that they can be shared across those two lenses. If you want, add in a prime for night or lowlight shots (a used PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 is about the best value out there IMO, as they sell for ~$250-300 and the images it produces are really wonderful). With that, you would have a 3-lens kit that should be sufficient for everything you'll encounter on the workshop.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

All the modern day cameras are capable of extremely high quality images, including cameras with 1-inch sensors like the Sony RX100 series. Gear does not play a very significant role. It's far more important that a photographer has these 3 qualities:

1. Skill sets - both technical and creative skill sets.
2. Knowing your gear and being able to extract the most out of it.
3. Skill sets in image processing and editing.

Jul 12, 2017 at 03:14 PM
dukenukem
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Do not doubt, it's more than enough, limitations are in our head

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:31 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

I agree! If the likes of Diego Martin and Jay Dickman can take great photos with their Olympus gear, anyone else can do it too. Yeah ... right!

Theoretically speaking, Yes .... but only if you have the eye and the skill sets!

If you don't have the eye nor the skill sets the Fuji GFX 50S is not going to make your images look any better, unfortunately.

dukenukem wrote:

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

You nailed it :-)

dukenukem wrote:

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:27 AM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

I think you should take whatever system you think you will get your best results with. What other photographers can do with the gear is kind of irrelevant except as something to aspire to. What is relevant is what you can do with it.

M3/4 is my preferred system for people and wildlife shots, principally for its AF fast AF and long lens capability. It is not my preferred system for landscape work. For that I prefer FF for greater dynamic range and ability to print larger for the few occasions I wish to print very larger. That doesn't mean you can't take good photos with M4/3, but trips like this are really about the exceptions rather than the averages.

I think for a trip like this you would want to take a backup camera anyway. Why not your D750, with a wide angle lens?

Jul 13, 2017 at 04:26 AM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

And also the likes of Bobby. I love your photography.

bobbytan wrote:
I agree! If the likes of Diego Martin and Jay Dickman can take great photos with their Olympus gear, anyone else can do it too. Yeah ... right!

Theoretically speaking, Yes .... but only if you have the eye and the skill sets!

If you don't have the eye nor the skill sets the Fuji GFX 50S is not going to make your images look any better, unfortunately.

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:53 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is M4/3 Good Enough as only system for Lofoten Photography Workshop?

Mitesh,

You had Sony set up earlier also? Or is it a new addition? Just saw in your profile.
What's your take on the Sony system?

mitesh wrote:
Sagarbhai,

I think this is a great idea and would be a terrific setup. Throw 17/1.8 or 25/1.8 in with these two, and I think you would have a nice kit to take there.

Jul 13, 2017 at 02:00 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password