FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

First Wedding

Unclejoe1116
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Wedding

So I finished editing my first wedding, and thought I'd share the album here.

Sadly, the wedding did not go as I thought... The groom was my brother, so we had a bachelor thing on Thursday, and went bowling. Me being the genius I am, stopped and got a drink before heading down (45 minutes away), and grabbed a sandwich from an unnamed gas station. Oh boy, had I known what I was doing to myself, I would have run the other direction so fast. Bowling was fine, but then we had a cookout afterward. My stomach had started to grumble, but I ignored it, and pressed on. After dinner, the grumbling turned into somersaults, and by the time I got home, I could barely stand.

Yep. I had food poisoning. Literally 25 people staying at the house, and I'm over in the corner heaving my guts out. So that's Thursday night. Barely get any sleep that night, and somehow, still manage to drag myself to the rehearsal the next day. I can barely stand upright, I'm sweating profusely, let alone try to get composure, lighting, and timing right, all while holding a 70-200. (Talk about a work-out!) I sit down for a few minutes, and one of my brothers picks up the camera and starts taking pictures. I still haven't brought myself to look at any pictures from the rehearsal, because I'm just not ready for that type of disappointment yet.

Anyways. I skip the rehearsal dinner and go straight to bed. Next morning is better, but not by much. My wife is pregnant, so Zofran became my new best friend. I was able to get through the wedding day, but it's still pretty much one big blur. I missed some of the shots I wanted, and I'm still critiquing the shots I did get, for how they could have been better. Thankfully, I had an assistant who stepped up and got some really solid shots. I delivered about 370 photos, edited and organized, and the bride's family couldn't be happier. Everything I've heard has been good, so I'm going to claim this one as a success.

The moral of the story? What ever you do, do NOT ever, under ANY circumstances, eat a buffalo chicken filet sandwich from an unnamed gas station. That is, unless you need a thorough stomach, intestine, and colon cleanse. In which case, be my guest.

Oh right. The photos. I apologize for having a link, but I'm not one of the "cool kids" yet, and don't have upload turned on. Check them out here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154444105672531.1073741833.248634392530&type=1&l=60f6b24e8f

Constructive criticism welcome. Not trying to steal anyone's job here, and I actually am not really looking to do weddings. (I prefer the low-stress environment of families and couples portraits.)

Jul 08, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Matisha

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Wedding

Itís quite a story. I would try to do the best with what you have. Meaning do the best retouching where itís so much needed even make photo album. I can definitely recommend you to visit wedding-retouching.com as a source of free examples. Hope to see your next work!

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:43 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Wedding

Being candid, there's a lot of wedding buffets I think twice about participating in. This Summer we've been bringing our own food a lot more that I remember. Part dietary concerns, part logistical concerns (plated dinners and the photographers get fed, when?), and part ... just tired of wedding food.

Congrats on your wedding shoot. Photos look good to me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Wedding

LeeSimms wrote:
Congrats on your wedding shoot. Photos look good to me.

Thanks Lee. Honestly, I'm not sure it's exactly where my passion lies. I'm more than happy to do one, but I've lost two potential weddings because they weren't willing to pay anywhere close to a decent price. That being said, the amount of emotion available to capture at a wedding is unmatched.

I'm thinking I might try and second shoot some more. Decent pay for a day's worth of work, with no post!

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password