Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

Keiththom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

I would like to purchase a really good tripod. I am looking at the RRS TVC-33 tripod with a BH-55 ball-head. I assume I will need a dovetail plate to attach to each camera?

I shoot a Nikon D810 with lenses that include the Nikon 80-400, Nikon 70-200 and Nikon 105 1.4.

My current tripod is approx 40 years old and probably cost $25 when I bought it. So - I'm probably due for an upgrade ! When I go in the camera stores, their $150 models are a HUGE upgrade to the one I'm using,but I've resisted and want to buy the last one I will ever need. (except possibly a small portable one for hiking some day)

Should I be looking at something different than my choices above? They are a LOT of money. I may wait a while to look for used.

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

I would go for the TVC-34. they are just as rigid and somewhat more compact. I have one of the original TVC-33 and BH-55 set and I do mean original. it will be my final tripod in its size and its already over 10 years now. you will not be sorry.

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

You may not need a 3 series and BH-55 with such lenses, though I prefer large tripods for slowish landscapes. Consider if a 2 series and BH-40 would be a better option for weight and size.

You will want a dedicated L bracket for each body. (Lately, some RRS L-brackets are out of control complicated so also look at single piece Kirk and other plates.) I really like the custom Kirk replacement foot/collar for stabilizing the 80-400 Nikkors. Assuming you have the 80-400 VR-G it allows reversal of the hood so no space is lost in the bag. There should also be some RRS replacement feet for the 70-200.

EBH

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

I also frequently shoot with the Nikon 14-24 for landscape shots.

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

EB-1 wrote:
You may not need a 3 series and BH-55 with such lenses, though I prefer large tripods for slowish landscapes. Consider if a 2 series and BH-40 would be a better option for weight and size.

You will want a dedicated L bracket for each body. (Lately, some RRS L-brackets are out of control complicated so also look at single piece Kirk and other plates.) I really like the custom Kirk replacement foot/collar for stabilizing the 80-400 Nikkors. Assuming you have the 80-400 VR-G it allows reversal of the hood so no space is lost in the bag. There should also
...Show more

If I have the L-brackets, I will not need the dovetail plates. Correct? Or will I still need it for fast disconnects / connects?

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

your lenses that have their own mounts will want the plates too

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

I prefer the 24L over the 33. It is .4 of a pound lighter and sets up 8 inches higher. That means that you get almost as high as 33 when using 3 of the 4 sections of 24L, with the option to go higher if needed, and with less weight. As for ballheads, I have both BH-40 and the BH-55. Of the two I much prefer the 55, and use it on my 24L legs. The 40 is used on my even lighter set of Gitzo sticks.

Peace,

Todd

Jul 08, 2017 at 01:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

EB-1 wrote:

You will want a dedicated L bracket for each body. (Lately, some RRS L-brackets are out of control complicated so also look at single piece Kirk and other plates.) I really like the custom Kirk replacement foot/collar for stabilizing the 80-400 Nikkors. Assuming you have the 80-400 VR-G it allows reversal of the hood so no space is lost in the bag. There should also
...Show more
Keiththom wrote:
If I have the L-brackets, I will not need the dovetail plates. Correct? Or will I still need it for fast disconnects / connects?

You need the plates for the lens feet or replacement collar.
Try this for the 80-400 and this for the 70-200/2.8.

EBH

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

EB-1 wrote:
You need the plates for the lens feet or replacement collar.
Try this for the 80-400 and this for the 70-200/2.8.

EBH

Thanks for the links!

This is going from really expensive to really, really expensive.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:00 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

The RRS setup (either series 2 or series 3) will likely last you a lifetime. I have both a series 2 (for landscapes) and a series 3 (for long lenses on a gimbal head). The series 3 might be more than you need. But, if you think you may wind up getting some heavier, longer, lenses (that need a gimbal head), then you might want to get the series 3 to cover all your bases. Something to consider. Best of luck!
Keith W.

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

Is the legs cf? Since you want it to be the last you buy. I love the B&H-55 head yes you will need some Swiss-arca. Style plate on for the body for use with standard to wa lenses and and one for each telephoto foot unless you like swapping them all the time

Jul 08, 2017 at 05:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

B&H-55!!!

Jul 08, 2017 at 06:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

3 varied RRS Tripods and the Lone Enduro

Jul 08, 2017 at 07:00 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

Keith,
Many find the Feisol brand tripods a good balance between quality and price.
http://www.feisol.net/tripods/tournament-tripods.html

For terminology, the most common type of dovetail for cameras will be the Arca Swiss compatible plates.
You would get a plate (just for the camera base) or L bracket for your camera.
Your ballhead would need to be Arca Swiss compatible. Sometimes across brands, an Arca Swiss compatible ballhead that closes with a lever will not clamp down firmly on the camera plate. Make sure to check this when you first get your gear together. I simply use screw knobs for my ball heads which should work with any camera/lens plate combo.

David

Jul 08, 2017 at 07:32 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

@sjms, I like that Stout!

Jul 08, 2017 at 09:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

Ron built that for me back in 1985. Columbus SL and SLX downtube

Edited on Jul 09, 2017 at 09:44 AM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2017 at 09:54 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

Keith, there is a nice RRS BH-55 ballhead for sale here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-or-wtb/62073-fs-really-right-stuff-bh-55-ball-head-lever-release-clamp.html

Reputable seller.

Ken

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:36 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

"Ron built that for me back in 1985. Columbus SL and SLX downtube"

Looks like a 57 or 58 cm from the size of the head tube.

Jul 09, 2017 at 10:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

53cm

Jul 09, 2017 at 11:59 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is there a better choice of tripod I should look at?

The Feisol 3442 is an excellent choice. It is most stable when used without any center column. The wind is a problem with lenses that expose a large profile to the wind, say a Canon 100-400 L. This effects all tripods and is due to the laws of physics, the wind force on a large moment arm. There are numerous things you can do to mitigate the effect: Remove large lense hoods. Do not fully extend the legs. The lower to the ground, the better. A heavier head that can resist the torque from the wind can help. Lot's f trade-offs to consider.

Jul 09, 2017 at 01:51 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.