Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Less than stellar Detrick and a question

Corillien
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Less than stellar Detrick and a question

Still haven't been able to come close to my Detrick from a couple years back, which is probably one of the photos I'm proudest of... I didn't really spend much time this season trying for one until a pitcher asked for one.... this was the best I could manage. I know there's a lot wrong with it (player's placement in the background makes it a bit obvious this was during warmups, the ball is too high, I didn't get it during the kick, the ball isn't TOTALLY crisp), but I'm hoping the kid and his parents still like it!

All that said, this got me thinking about photographer slumps.... do we, like the athletes we shoot, have a tendency to regress to the mean? I feel like 2 years ago I was doing relatively good work but at this point this year, I'm a bit more blah. Not sure if it's a creativity issue, health issue (feeling more sluggish and not reacting as quickly), burnout, or what. Then of course there's all the business/art interaction stuff - should I measure success purely by sales? Anywho, enough rambling from me - curious what others' thoughts, experience, and wisdom might be.

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:24 PM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Less than stellar Detrick and a question

The image, your timing is a bit too soon, the ball is a bit too high up. It is also obviously a warm up because someone is walk the wrong way in the outfield and that is distracting. A tighter crop would help the image, make the outfield guy less obtrusive and the pitcher and the ball more important to the viewer's eye.

Slumps? Yep. In 47 years I had plenty of them. A lot of it comes down to preparation and being ready mentally. Yogi Berra was not talking about just baseball when he said " 50% of this game is 90% mental". Just like players we need to be prepared and be ready. When something bites us during an event you only get 10 seconds to beat yourself up because the next moment is coming fast and you don't want to miss two of them in a row.

In addition to slumps there are re-inventions. Those times we have to just go back and start all over with new technology, new thinking, new business plan etc.

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:36 AM
John Korduner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Less than stellar Detrick and a question

I don't think the killer is the height of the ball or the dude walking through the background, it's the lack of raking sunlight at sunset.

"do we, like the athletes we shoot, have a tendency to regress to the mean? I feel like 2 years ago I was doing relatively good work but at this point this year, I'm a bit more blah."

...probably. This could've been an exceptional shot if it was taken at the right time of day and didn't have a guy walking through the outfield...

Jul 08, 2017 at 07:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Less than stellar Detrick and a question

edit out the player in the bg...

as for directional lights i am sure on1 or topaz sw can create such effect.

nothing you can do about positions of ball & player.

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:49 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Less than stellar Detrick and a question

seems to me that the majority of a good 'Detricks' features the ball either close to the middle of the frame or at the 1/3 mark. I think the ball is too high in the frame. Doesn't quite give me the feeling that the ball is coming at me more than it's coming toward me.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Less than stellar Detrick and a question

The height of the ball is fine and all other suggestions are on target. Only thing I will add is that his follow through is rather static. No huge leg kick in this instance so I might consider a hip high tight crop and see how that looks.

Jul 18, 2017 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password