Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2018 · How will you memorialize your photography?

cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How will you memorialize your photography?

When you pass away, how will you memorialize your photography for relatives and friends so that it won't be lost and forgotten?

Edited on Jan 22, 2018 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How will you memorialize your photography?

I figure my image archive will bite the dust, soon after I do. Many of the images that I've shared with friends and clients through Dropbox will remain in the cloud for more-or-less ever, but nobody will ever be able to find them.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How will you memorialize your photography?

You won't share a link to their location in your Will or by some other means?

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Wrong forum. :-)

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Which one to use?

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How will you memorialize your photography?

I suggest editing the thread to cross post it to Forum 18.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1333789

EBH

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How will you memorialize your photography?

cameron12x wrote:
You won't share a link to their location in your Will or by some other means?

Never crossed my mind.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How will you memorialize your photography?

I suppose my relatives will go through my pictures folder. None of them could figure out my Lightroom archive. I have some hopes for my granddaughter who is showing some interest in photography as opposed to snap shots. Since most of my images are of family or family travels the pictures may survive another generation. My wife and I have boxes of pictures, mostly black and whites, from our parents of people we have no idea who they are. I suppose my pics will end up much the same. There mostly my memories after all.

I have some concern about who will take over my cameras but they will probably be obsolete. I have more concerns about my wood working tools since they should last many generations. Many of my stationary power tools were my fathers. I'd hate to see them all go to the dump. I should specify that at least they go to habitat for humanity.

Edited on Jan 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Being on the younger side (still) of things, I'm not sure if any precautions I'd make today will be relevant. Although one has to be prepared for *it* anytime. I'm guessing doing a proper data asset management now, backing things up at least locally or setting up a cloud backup as well (my largely untidy archive is roughly 3TB, so with the upload speeds we have, I'd almost surely drop dead before it finished uploading ) will work for now and I'd adapt as the technologies either mature or new ones become available (like the affordable SSD'd that can hold the data long term).

I'd then leave instructions on how the archive is kept and how to access it I guess.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Anything that is special to me, I make prints and store in archival boxes. I also make photo books of many of my trips.l

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:06 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How will you memorialize your photography?

jcolwell wrote:
I figure my image archive will bite the dust, soon after I do. Many of the images that I've shared with friends and clients through Dropbox will remain in the cloud for more-or-less ever, but nobody will ever be able to find them.

I'm with Jim on this.

Hmmm, I hadn't given this much thought until now when "tink" (one of those proverbial light bulb moments) I realized something about myself! I've always had a fascination with printing a very select few of my favorite photos really big . . . Really Big . . . as I go along. I’m thinking that besides having a few of my favorite shots hanging on the wall to enjoy now I realized that because they will likely be hanging around for a while (I don’t think anyone’s going to rip them off the wall, stomp & spit on them and light them on fire) after I depart the scene so perhaps the OPs topic is a subconscious reason that in part influences my desire to print big.

Hmmmm some more, I always tell others that my better half and I have complementary hobbies where I take the pictures and she arranges them for display in her beautiful meticulously hand crafted photo books to be handed down to our children. Obviously she had some forethought on the topic!
This calls for more

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:14 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How will you memorialize your photography?

My model aviation stuff is all on line for the clubs to view & will be there for long enough. Family stuff is carefully arranged by date in one folder, event in another folder & backed up to at least 3 different hard drives & 2 are fresh portable USB 3.0 drives labeled as to exactly what they are. If the tech changes those photos will be copied to the new method of storage.

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:20 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Hey! I'm taking digital copies of my all my pictures and editing software with me. I don't need any stink'n portable external drives, thumb drives, CF cards, CC et al where I'm going!

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Waiting for the singularity, eh?

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:36 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Photonadave wrote:
Hey! I'm taking digital copies of my all my pictures and editing software with me. I don't need any stink'n portable external drives, thumb drives, CF cards, CC et al where I'm going!

You don't suppose the heat will fry your brain enough to melt them?

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Jan 21, 2018 at 01:54 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Will my art survive?

Interesting. Never thought of it. Now the poetry? Hope some does survive. Over the decades there have been a few that are damn good.

I've always thought photography was the art of the instance, but the instant is immediately the past ever receding, so… The well framed images will likely last drifting around from yard sale to flea market to “Take this so I don’t have to move it or go to the dump.”

I guess I’ve thought that any transcendence would be thru the students I’ve taught, the classic structures I’ve restored guaranteeing them another 100 years, or those brief moments where I managed to touch someone with passion or compassion.

(Ok, wrong thread, but I’m too lazy to go to the right one OP, maybe you should have called this “Canon Memories.” Perhaps you can sell the idea to Canon?)

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:03 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How will you memorialize your photography?

Well, if my great grandfathers photos can survive over 100 years...I think mine will stand a chance as well.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:13 PM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How will you memorialize your photography?

I don't do flickr but I suppose for those who do, that's their image memorial.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:29 PM
DAphoto77
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How will you memorialize your photography?

I am 85. I will leave my military record and awards to my grandson in another more appropriate way. I do not plan to run my affairs from the grave. I do not look at my photos as my legacy but just an interesting sometimes paying hobby.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.