Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

T&I - Business Model Change

scottiet
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · T&I - Business Model Change

Hi folks,

Question for those of you who do a lot of T&I. Have you, or do you, deliver digital files without printing?

I have been running a small T&I business for a while and have always provided prints, trader cards etc....
The company I use is not local, but do a great job with the product. However between the shipping, waiting for arrival, and the companies error-prone system, it's driving me crazy. In essence the printing side of my business is a nightmare as well as incredibly costly.

I am wondering if anyone here has gone to digital delivery of photo packages with their T&I?

I am planning on doing so the coming hockey season. However I will still offer some products, such as trading cards because these are a huge hit and I am sure I would lose significant business without them.

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Jul 07, 2017 at 10:52 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · T&I - Business Model Change

Scott... I kinda lost ya. You said the company does a great job with the product then go onto say it's an error-prone system, costly and a nightmare.

People tend to still like the prints. I belong to several online T&I forums and over 90% rely on prints especially considering some the extraordinary things being done with borders and green screen graphics.

For me, the printing/delivery of the product is the easiest part of the process. Preparing the image for print is where the time goes which you would still need to do with digital... crop, color correct, add border, etc.

Jul 07, 2017 at 12:10 PM
ScooterShooter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · T&I - Business Model Change

P Alesse wrote:
Scott... I kinda lost ya. You said the company does a great job with the product then go onto say it's an error-prone system, costly and a nightmare.

I think he means that the end product is great but the process of getting the product is not.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:30 PM
shuttlemanfl

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · T&I - Business Model Change

In my very limited experience parents seem to have a hard time dropping $45 for a digital file yet they will drop $110 for prints.

I have had great experience with Millers Labs for sport and ordering isn't that bad. Plus I pay my wife to do it. Her attention to detail far exceeds mine.

Just my two cents worth.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bipock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · T&I - Business Model Change

I did my daughter's swim team this year and offered only digital files. They were pretty cheaply priced, but all the parents bought the digital files.

Yes, I think there is a market for it.

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:08 PM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · T&I - Business Model Change

As fr as doing Digital delivery of these pics, I can only go on experience from my own are but I think your would be shoving the proverbial up hill. I offer Digital files for the same price as an 8x12 and get exactly no orders for them. While so many wedding shooters do digital delivery now, I think tradition with these shots is prints and you would be blowing your own head off let alone shooting yourself in the foot to go that way.

I concour with the sentiment above, they will pay for prints but in THIS market I don't think digital has near the pull. Reminds me of an experience I'll never forget.
I was offering CD's of images at the events I was doing. People wanted them but I had some very vicious complaints about my charging $30 for 5 images on the disk. I went to USB for speed reasons charged $45 and people were stoked the USB stick was included in the price.

Same product, different delivery and it made ALL the difference in the world to them.
One they perceived as a rip off and the other more expensive delivery method they thought was great. If I did events again it would all be USB delivery and NO prints. Mind you, on that ork the pint/ USB split was even but If I can sell half of them a USB I can sell 90% so If they really want prints I'll add postage and handling and send them out after the event.

Undoubtedly wasting my time mentioning it because No one wants to do it these days but.....

I felt the same way when I was using labs for my T&I work. It just seemed impossible to avoid stuffups. Certainly I made some but it was frustrating how many the labs made on simple and straightforward orders. The ordering systems of the labs and the time and difficulty in correcting problems made it hugely frustrating and always made me look bad.

We don't have the lab choice available in the states and the ones here do T&I work as an afterthought. I tried sending stuff to the US years ago but that was a nightmare with postage and cost there of as well and then getting redo's and... Uggh. It literally put me off oing T&I for years.

I got into doing onsite printing for events and have transferred that do doing my own T&I printing. It's a fraction of the cost of a lab, I print one order at a time to make sure it is correct, I have my wife check them to ensure every order is spot on, the approx 2 mistakes I make per club are easily corrected, I have more control over the end product and I shoot one week and take the packages back the next with NO problems.

Yes, I realise I'm about the only shooter out there that will do that and does not want to send the work out but I have to say, it's a goddamn joy not to have to rely on labs and makes the whole process so much more stress and aggro free.
For me, the effort is more than worth it.

I have all the packages set up and picture packages in photoshop along with some basic actions for density, colour, sharpness etc so I merely look at the order, find the best shot of the several I made of the kid, hit a button and the order spits out.
With doing the team shot with names and the individuals, Takes me one hour or less to do each team.

NO, it is not difficult or expensive. Yes, it takes more time than sending stuff to a Lab ( I think?) yes, it takes more effort, yes I am happy to do it.
I do all my printing on inkjet printers and use aftermarket ink which IMHO is far more true to life than the brand name ink and buy paper in Bulk to get good prices on premium quality paper. I set up a printer pool generally of 3 machines and which means the prints are ready fast as I can find the correct images and hit the function key for the package.

The parents are completely and over the top happy and I'm loving how stress free it all is doing it myself.
If I make a mistake, I can walk in, reprint what I have to and in minutes its' ready to go and I know each and every order is perfect.

There is no way in hell I'd ever think of sending work out again but I know i'm at odds with everyone else on this.

Paul, could you give details of these T&I forums you are on? It would be good to learn more about current trends, methods and Ideas on this.

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:28 PM
scottiet
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · T&I - Business Model Change

Hi folks,

Thanks sooo much for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Paul, I would be interested too in any info on other T&I forums you use.

ScottPaul

Jul 09, 2017 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password