Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Thoughts on this flash as a first?

Kolbasz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

I have never used an external flash so for my first one ever I don't need to get too crazy and fancy. My search brought me to this one, thoughts/recommendations?

Yongnuo Speedlite YN600EX-RT II

Jul 07, 2017 at 10:29 AM
TheRoosta

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

The Yongnuo model that you alluded to does not get good reviews for durability. If you want to be in that price range, my suggestion would be an Altura Photo Professional Flash (AP-N1001 for Nikon, or AP-C1001 for Canon). If you buy the kit package it includes the TTL Flash, wireless trigger and accessories (currently priced around $75 on Amazon). TTL doesn't work remotely, so you will have to program it manually off-camera, which is not difficult. This flash has been my staple for the past three years. Despite having reservations (it's 1/5th of the price of even a mid-range ODM speed light), it's proven to be remarkably versatile and reliable.

There will be detractors that will tell you a $75 speedlight is a wasted investment. If you are looking to use it a lot then it would make sense to go a little up market, just for peace of mind. For 4x the Altura kit price you could get an entry-level speedlight with no remote trigger capability, shorter range, no 180deg bounce and swivel, and limited zoom, but that's your choice. But, hey, you may just end up lovin' the Altura and it won't have broken the piggy bank!

Edited on Jul 07, 2017 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:04 PM
ross attix
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

Kolbasz

Nikon SB-26 has built in optical slave, OR wire it with cheap radio slave(s). Use it on manual power and you can just dial it in.

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:06 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

If you shoot Canon, I've got a couple of the Godox Adorama rebrands for sale. Li-on battery, TTL. Excellent build and functionality especially within their flash system.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:48 AM
Kolbasz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

bipock wrote:
If you shoot Canon, I've got a couple of the Godox Adorama rebrands for sale. Li-on battery, TTL. Excellent build and functionality especially within their flash system.

Got a link?

Jul 09, 2017 at 04:49 AM
Kolbasz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

TheRoosta wrote:
The Yongnuo model that you alluded to does not get good reviews for durability. If you want to be in that price range, my suggestion would be an Altura Photo Professional Flash (AP-N1001 for Nikon, or AP-C1001 for Canon). If you buy the kit package it includes the TTL Flash, wireless trigger and accessories (currently priced around $75 on Amazon). TTL doesn't work remotely, so you will have to program it manually off-camera, which is not difficult. This flash has been my staple for the past three years. Despite having reservations (it's 1/5th of the price of even a mid-range
...Show more

This is good, yongnuo was a flash recommended then I found this when reviewing the other.

I need a good basic flash to get through family events etc when lighting is not set kids best

Jul 09, 2017 at 04:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

Godox is the leader in flashes and also almost the cheapest. It is hard to argue buying anything else atm.

Jul 10, 2017 at 03:00 PM
Kathy Li

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

Kolbasz wrote:
I have never used an external flash so for my first one ever I don't need to get too crazy and fancy. My search brought me to this one, thoughts/recommendations?

Yongnuo Speedlite YN600EX-RT II

If you plan to stay in Canon's -RT system, it's a good cheap starter flash. Be aware, these cheap flashes are basically all made in China, so warranty service basically means depending on a retailer return policy or offering a warranty for replacement, not so much repair-and-return service, as with OEM units. There's also going to be a bit more variance in component/copy consistency. You could get a great unit (a lot of folks do), or a bum unit. Depends. These are great for hobbyist usage, but not necessarily great for pro usage.

The -RT system is feature-rich, and with a 2012 or later Canon body, probably gives you the most function out of radio wireless flash. But none of the cameras have an -RT transmitter built in, so in order to use this flash off-camera, you will need a transmitter unit for the hotshoe. That can be another YN-600EX-RTII, or a YN-E3-RT or Phottix Laso transmitter, or whatever.

The one main drawback is if you plan on moving to bigger lights. The only way to integrate studio strobes with the -RT system is to use a 3rd-party RF receiver, such as a Phottix Laso, or Yongnuo YN-E3-RX, or to use built-in dumb optical slaves on the studio strobe. Both methods of triggering are manual-only, and there will be no HSS, TTL, or remote power control.

Which is why the other cheap Chinese option of going Godox is gaining mindshare. Godox has an integrated system of triggers and lights, that let you scale all the way up from a cheap manual-only flash (TT600) all the way up to a cordless TTL/HSS capable monolight (AD600). The triggering system, unlike Yongnuo's 560/60x, 622, and -RT systems, let you easily integrate TTL and manual-only gear in the X system. And Godox is in the process of adding HSS/TTL support for micro four-thirds, and Fuji X system, while already supporting Canon, Nikon, and Sony. Yongnuo only supports TTL/HSS for Canon and Nikon--so if you ever plan to shoot mirrorless, Godox is probably a better path.

The closest equivalent to a YN600EX-RTII in the Godox X system is the Godox TT685. If you purchase this, and get a Godox X1T-C radio transmitter, you can have TTL, HSS, and remote power control over radio from your camera. But the camera body must be from 2012 or later (i.e., -RT compatible) to have groups D&E, and Gr mode control. You could also get a Yongnuo YN-685 and a YN-622-TX for the same level of control with a pre-2012 body, but you wouldn't be able to add Yongnuo manual-only gear (say, a YN-560IV) without having to lose the TTL/HSS capability of the YN-685, and you wouldn't have access to bigger lights, like the Godox AD200, AD360II, or AD600.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

I'm not aware of the capabilities of that unit but when I first got in to digital photography from. The film days I bought a cheaper third party to flash. I hated it it never work that great. I nextwent to vivitar 285s learned what they could do and bought a canon 580 ex2 when they were on sale after being released .i saw a big difference I. The ease of use and quality of the light in. My images I bought a 580, and several 550s to fill out the kit and sold thevivitar kit as it was no longer needed. Then a few years later I got a studio light setup used from a local shop it consisted of a speedotron 405 pack with a 202vf and 205 head unit and some stands and modifiers I'll be selling these when I dig them out to take a few sale pick for eBay and here. I brought the paw ttl units when they came out and learned to use them with both my speed lights and big lights if needed. I tried the quantu flash for a more versatile light but to my discust the qflash wouldn't work with the flex radio and I wasn't going to buy another radio system just to be able to use both at the same time another item I need to dig out shoot and sale. Next I tried the Elinchrom quadra lights after hearing great thing about them from users that I trusted and glad I did. It works with my ttl speedlites using its built in eye or I can hook up a pw radio to it. Big enough for me I have 2 sets I guess you could call it one two head set and one single head unless I bought a secoundhead and don't remember it.

The reason for writing all this is tomhelp you know that if you buy anything besides a canon 600 rt/2 you will likely be replacing it down the road if you move from the consumer to prosumer level.

Jul 12, 2017 at 08:44 AM
Kolbasz

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

Michael White wrote:
I'm not aware of the capabilities of that unit but when I first got in to digital photography from. The film days I bought a cheaper third party to flash. I hated it it never work that great. I nextwent to vivitar 285s learned what they could do and bought a canon 580 ex2 when they were on sale after being released .i saw a big difference I. The ease of use and quality of the light in. My images I bought a 580, and several 550s to fill out the kit and sold thevivitar kit as it was
...Show more

So, what you are saying is that I can buy a cheap flash for 100$ now and upgrade later as the cheap one will work or just bite the bullet now and spend the 500$ on the Rt ii.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

Hard to beat Godox these days IMHO. I am going all in with Godox, keeping my 580EXII's with Godox Rx units under them and have a TT350 and TT685s on the way. I also shoot Fuji and the beauty of this system is the interoperability between brands. I also have the AD200.

I used Yongnuo stuff for years (301, 602, 622, 568/flash, 685/flash, 560s) and they served me well but the Godox stuff has one system from the smallest light to the largest strobe. All with HSS and optional TTL controlled from the camera position. Far cry from the old days of changing all the settings at the various strobe locations.

I was going to go for the Mk.1 YN-600 you mention above but the v.1 were not all that reliable, perhaps they are better now.

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:06 AM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thoughts on this flash as a first?

the yongnuo is a Great light...maybe the early ones were problematic, but i have two of these and they have been perfect...in fact...sold off my canon 600 rt's and pocketed the extra cash. They recycle faster than the canon's and do not shut down for overheat nearly as fast...ttl is great....I use them mainly as off camera lights

Jul 20, 2017 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password