FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

This is marketed as “World’s Widest rectilinear f/2 lens for Micro Four Third cameras.” It has an angle of view of 110 degrees, the same as for 15mm on full frame (but it is minute in comparison with the bulky 15mm lenses. It is only just becoming available. I placed a “pre-order” for mine at the end of May and received it last week

The minimum focusing distance of 12cm seemed useful for this subject, which was growing on the vertical side, inside a black plastic garden compost bin. This location is challenging for getting camera, lens and flash in position. On this occasion, I used all three flash units off-camera, positioned on the top of the organic matter in the bin. The main unit zoom was set to 12mm.

I had to use the rear screen of the camera tilted upwards at right angles.

Apart from the viewing angle, I experienced the same hesitation with focusing the ultra wideangle lens that I used to in my films days, then using such lenses rarely. This was my very first time for anything remotely macro. The lens is one of two, the other a Laowa 12mm, which are to restore the angles of view, and rectilinear images, on m4/3 that I loved with 35mm film.

The lens was set at minimum focusing distance for most images, at f11 for all. The colony in the second image is ca 7 inches/180mm wide.

Several of the images have been cropped vertically, some less so but horizontally.

At my first attempt to load these images, the system rejected the files as too large. I had to re-save the images as quality 8 instead of my usual 12. That shows how much detail was captured. It is years since I had to do that.

Update:

22 hours later, that extensive network in no longer visible to the naked eye and the organism seems to have retreated into small, pinkish bodies, which can just been seen to be forming in these images.

Harold

Jul 07, 2017 at 12:30 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

Interesting Harold ~ Ron

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:22 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

surfnron wrote:
Interesting Harold ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

I think this is the plasmodium stage of a Physarum species.

Harold

Jul 08, 2017 at 10:18 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

Looks like you are going to have fun with the lens Harold

Very interesting subject. It has a look of coral or lace.

Birdie

Jul 08, 2017 at 10:23 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

birdied wrote:
Looks like you are going to have fun with the lens Harold

Very interesting subject. It has a look of coral or lace.

Birdie

It just happened that this organism appeared, in this inaccessible location, only days after the lens arrived.

Just to make it more fun, the camera, with the 7.5 or with the Oshiro 60mm anyway, rarely forms a static image in the viewfinder or on the rear screen. The frame keeps jumping around and I have to just when to fire the flash, which has about a second delay in these conditions.

The lens was really bought for building exteriors and interiors, classic cars (tomorrow), etc.

Harold

Jul 08, 2017 at 10:39 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Macro with Laowa 7.5mm on m4/3

For anyone interested in the lens for more conventional use, here is my first set.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1498799

Harold

Jul 09, 2017 at 08:01 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.