FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       end

Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

steve g
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred, (or others), have you received the Wonderpana yet and had a chance to use it.

I need to make a quick decision about a filter holder for the 12-24 which arrived today.

Also, if you get the Wonderpana are you locked in to using 145mm circular filters?

Thanks for any feedback.

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:22 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

steve g wrote:
Fred, (or others), have you received the Wonderpana yet and had a chance to use it.

...Also, if you get the Wonderpana are you locked in to using 145mm circular filters?

I got mine recently. Haven't used it much, but it does the job it's intended for. The standard version* (which I bought) uses only 145mm circular filters. There's a more expensive version** with includes the add-on 'wings' to accept 6.6" filters.

* WonderPana Core Filter holder for Sony

** WonderPana with 6.6" filter brackets

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM
steve g
• • • •
p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Thanks Mike

Still wondering about this or the Nisi

Nov 26, 2017 at 02:11 PM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Shot some more tests with my 12-24, wondering what the best way would be to upload some corner crops here? The center is excellent at all focal lengths, but I'm wondering if my copy might be a smidge underperforming at the wide end in the corners and hoped to see if any other owners might be willing to take a quick look.

Nov 27, 2017 at 02:01 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

tylerdurden801 wrote:
...any other owners might be willing to take a quick look.

Sure, happy to have a look. I'm on my second one. The first one was used, from B&H, and I suspect someone may have returned it for it's weak performance at the long end. So I ordered a new one, and it's stellar.

Nov 28, 2017 at 02:31 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

steve g wrote:
Thanks Mike

Still wondering about this or the Nisi

I like the way the Fotodiox attaches better. The Nisi seems to clamp onto the hood area of the lens, but the Fotodiox has a separate locking ring which slides on from the mount side of the lens and threads onto the filter holder (which is pushed on from the front.) The downside of this scheme is that you have to take the lens off the camera to attach or remove the holder.

Nov 28, 2017 at 02:34 AM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

MikeEvangelist wrote:
Sure, happy to have a look. I'm on my second one. The first one was used, from B&H, and I suspect someone may have returned it for it's weak performance at the long end. So I ordered a new one, and it's stellar.

Best to crop all four corners into one shot and post links? Imgur? Google Drive? Not sure. I notice stuff hosted here is kinda poor resolution on a retina display so I don't know if that's the way to go for a critical sharpness review.

Nov 28, 2017 at 05:44 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

tylerdurden801 wrote:
Best to crop all four corners into one shot and post links? Imgur? Google Drive?

Seeing the full frames would be the most useful. Flickr or Dropbox are a couple options for uploading them.

Nov 28, 2017 at 01:49 PM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Two scenes uploaded, most frames focused at a specific corner as noted in the filename, most at F8. The first scene had me feeling pretty good, second less so. Second scene might be spoiled by atmospheric diffraction as the fine details in the corners are further away than the first scene and the weather was in transition. Both scenes shot at 12mm and 14mm (from there on, I am not worried about the performance of my copy, it's very very good) plus one bonus shot at 18mm and f10 that isn't focused on any given corner. Right side at 14mm seemed most concerning. I shot that last one to compare to my Batis 18, that's the only one not at F8 and focused on the obvious corner, but I figured I'd throw it in. Batis was stronger on the right side, equal in the lower left, and weaker in the upper left compared to the 12-24.

Open to input, thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/higyomrjy3j80bz/AACGRnvRUSNpR6L4vF67kvhXa?dl=0

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MikeEvangelist
• • •
p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

tylerdurden801 wrote:
Two scenes uploaded, most frames focused at a specific corner as noted in the filename,

I'm not sure what to make of these. Some seem to be more sharply focused in a different area than you intended/indicated. For example 'Scene 1 12mm UL.jpg' looks to be focused just past the end of the big wooden railing on the right.

How did you focus these? Auto focus with the focus point moved to the desired area? Center focus, then recompose? Manual (with magnify, with zoomed area moved as needed)?

Nov 30, 2017 at 05:08 AM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Manual, magnify. I never focused on the rail, that was just in the frame.

Nov 30, 2017 at 05:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

MikeEvangelist wrote:

That's where the variation is with this lens. (18-24mm). If you can get a copy performing great there, this lens is amazing.

Dec 04, 2017 at 04:34 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

MikeEvangelist wrote:
I like the way the Fotodiox attaches better. The Nisi seems to clamp onto the hood area of the lens, but the Fotodiox has a separate locking ring which slides on from the mount side of the lens and threads onto the filter holder (which is pushed on from the front.) The downside of this scheme is that you have to take the lens off the camera to attach or remove the holder.

I have the Nisi and it works very well.

I would personally not buy a filter holder that requires you to remove the lens to install it, unless it is a holder that is small enough that there is no penalty to keeping it on the lens all the time. This is clearly not the case for these large square filter holders, and I consider that one fatal flaw in this system.The second is the seemingly proprietary filter size it employs. That eliminates a lot of options, and these days, there are a handful of excellent filter manufacturers out there to consider; some at pretty reasonable cost.

I have some complaints about the Nisi holder as well, but nothing nearly as significant as these two issues, so overall, I believe that I'll be well served with it for the time being.

Dec 04, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Sorry if this is posted, but came across this Japanese filter kit for the 12-24

https://www.loca.design/product-page/sony-12-24mm-%E5%B0%82%E7%94%A8%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AB%E3%83%80%E3%83%BC

Can't read Japanese so not sure what detail they give other than price.

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:50 AM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

It doesn't say much. Basically it is an adapter specially made to fit the front of the Sony 12-24 lens. Also with the appropriate adapter, sold separately of course, it can be used on a variety of lenses as long as the front doesn't exceed 95mm. Beyond that it doesn't list any other specifications.

Ryan

Dec 11, 2017 at 02:33 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

This seems to function like the Nisi holder, but it has a few advantages over the Nisi. If I were to buy one again, I'd probably be looking at that one pretty seriously.

There are now a few of these holders out there, so there are options, and I'd suggest anyone looking at these to look carefully at the details, as there are sometimes subtle differences that may be worth choosing one over the other.

Dec 11, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Bubble
• • • •
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Can't read Japanese so not sure what detail they give other than price.

【KANI】 SONY 12-24 mm exclusive filter holder

12-24G Dedicated filter holder

It is designed to fix in a shape that sandwiches the lens.
Using an optional adapter ring makes it possible to use it for a lens aperture of 95 mm or less. It is a specification that listens to the opinion of the person who uses it to the utmost.

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:06 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

It looks like it has the foam to impide light entering in the corners in long exposures contrary to the Nisi. This could be and advantage if your filters do not have foam cover in the borders.

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password