Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

wow that is one impressive lens...

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:33 AM
darbo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Wowzers indeed. It's a must-have for me. Don't want to sell my Batis 18mm (filters/astro), but will if necessary to get this.

Much appreciation to you, Fred, in preparing this informative and helpful comparitive review.

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:54 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred -- Thanks for these tests! Your results validate at infinity what I was seeing in my shots at minimum focus distance to medium distance out to around 100 yards, posted on Guy's 12-24 thread today.

As I've said, I have never pre-ordered a lens before. But after seeing Roger's MTF comparisons, I was certain this was the time to jump in with both feet.

I'm very impressed with the low CA, decent low vignetting, flare and ghost suppression above average for premium lenses. The worst is the slight distortion, but I'm sure there will be a nice profile available soon in LRCC. These are all the dangerous pitfalls for any lens with high resolution potential, and the 12-24G deftly avoids them -- with internal focusing to boot!

Good times ahead.

Your work, artistry and inspiration are very much appreciated!

Jul 07, 2017 at 04:06 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

This really makes things hard... I have a great copy of a contax 35-70 (thanks Fred :> so a 16-35 would be great as a really low weight kit that takes filters. Total weight is about 2.2 pounds The 12-24 is so light and with a 24-70 2.8 it's a 3 pound kit but gives 12-70 and faster from 24-70 for astro. But then no filters from 12-24.... argh.

Chris

Jul 07, 2017 at 04:12 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

As I recall, this lens will have some adjustment done in the RAW file for distortion and vignetting is that correct?

I'm assuming they included those adjustments in the most recent FW update... but that you don't have anything in LR to automatically adjust the file further at this time.

I have to say that the performance looks remarkable considering the angle of coverage. It is clearly superior to the 16-35 in the corners, and comes close to the Loxia as well, even in mid-field and the center. Pretty remarkable.

I'm looking forward to testing it out when mine arrives.

If nobody has done it by then, I'll also post a comparison to the 24-70 GM at 24mm.

The last thing I want to compare is the performance with a filter (or two) on the lens because that could show a difference between the 12-24 and the 16-35 for long exposure work that isn't apparent without the added glass.

If mine performs as well as Fred's I'll be selling the 16-35 for sure.

---Michael

Jul 07, 2017 at 04:13 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I'll add a quick size comparison.

a7R2, 12-24G mounted, Loxia 21 on table.

ILCE-7R    FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS lens    59mm    f/4.0    1/80s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 07, 2017 at 04:19 AM
darbo
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Gunzorro wrote:
I'll add a quick size comparison.

a7R2, 12-24G mounted, Loxia 21 on table.

That's a superb combo right there Jim! Just amazing how petite the 12-24mm (compared to Sigma & Canon equivalents). I've been torn for months on end whether to switch from my Batis 18 & 25 to Loxia 21, but the existence of and the performance of the FE 12-24 has me wondering if the UWA combo of Loxia 21 and FE 12-24mm isn't the way to go.

Jul 07, 2017 at 04:35 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Oh, and stars... if anyone can do that! I'm in town, so I won't be able to do a test, but I'm hopeful it will make a decent star lens despite the f4 maximum aperture.

Jul 07, 2017 at 04:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

darbo wrote:
That's a superb combo right there Jim! Just amazing how petite the 12-24mm (compared to Sigma & Canon equivalents). I've been torn for months on end whether to switch from my Batis 18 & 25 to Loxia 21, but the existence of and the performance of the FE 12-24 has me wondering if the UWA combo of Loxia 21 and FE 12-24mm isn't the way to go.

I wish I could offer some help. I know what you are going through. This last year I had to beat down the impulse to move into the Zeiss AF lenses you mention, seeing the great work produced by people like Joshua Ong. I ultimately decided to use a few Sony lenses along with my Canons, and move toward the Loxias, and I haven't been disappointed. I figure the Loxias are for more control, such as precise focus placement and outstanding color/contrast. Along with this 12-24G lens, I've got a great set up of native Sony mount lenses and can always use my Canon and Alt stuff too. The upshot is that I don't mind not having the Batis 18 and 25 (at this moment!). We'll have to see if someone compares the Batis 18 with this new 12-24G, but I'm doubting it will remove the 18 from the equation for those who own or desire that lens.

Eventually, I'll probably upgrade my Zony 24-70/4 OS to the f/2.8 GM model, but that can wait -- it will have to, after buying this lens and the Loxia set this past 8 months!

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:08 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Regarding the lens itself, it's nicely built but feels a little plasticky to me. I'm not complaining because that contributes to the amazing light weight.

The "linear" focus-by-wire manual focus is the best implementation I've seen in a Sony lens. It makes you forget you are not focusing with a mechanical manual focus lens. It's very easy to precisely focus on your subject.

It's really amazing to have this incredible range with such high quality. The zoom markings go like this: 12mm, 14mm, 16mm, 18mm, 21mm and 24mm. All very important focal lengths.

The FE 16-35/4 was able to compete neck to neck throughout most of the image field but it does not have the ultra-zoom crispy corners at the very edges. However, it has better flare resistance, takes filters and goes to 35mm...Two great lenses from Sony.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ChrisLovesUgly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

darbo wrote:

I made a similar move two months ago, and sold my Batis 25 and 16-35/4, in exchange for the Loxia 21 and FE35/2.8. My primary goal was to downsize what I carry when I travel without sacrificing any IQ. The first real test with the new setup starts tomorrow!

This 12-24 sure does look impressive - better than I expected.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:21 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Gunzorro wrote:
Fred -- Thanks for these tests! Your results validate at infinity what I was seeing in my shots at minimum focus distance to medium distance out to around 100 yards, posted on Guy's 12-24 thread today.

As I've said, I have never pre-ordered a lens before. But after seeing Roger's MTF comparisons, I was certain this was the time to jump in with both feet.

I'm very impressed with the low CA, decent low vignetting, flare and ghost suppression above average for premium lenses. The worst is the slight distortion, but I'm sure there will be a nice profile available soon in
...Show more

You just reminded me this lens has AF! I better try that tomorrow.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:36 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regarding the lens itself, it's nicely built but feel a little plasticky to me. I'm not complaining because that contributes to the amazing light weight.

The focus by wire manual focus is the best I've seen in a Sony lens. It makes you forget you are not focusing with a mechanical manual focus lens. It's very easy to precisely focus on your subject.

It's really amazing to have this incredible range with such high quality. The zoom markings go like this: 12mm, 14mm, 16mm, 18mm, 21mm and 24mm. All very important focal lengths.

The FE 16-35/4 was able to compete neck
...Show more

Thanks Fred. The relatively poor flare resistance of the 12-24 lens seems to bother me.
Other than that it seems to be a winner and nicely would complement my CV 10,15, WATE, and Batis 25.
Except for the CV 10, the other lenses can be used with AF.

K-H.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:44 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

You don't need that 16-35 any more Fred

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regarding the lens itself, it's nicely built but feels a little plasticky to me. I'm not complaining because that contributes to the amazing light weight.

The "linear" focus-by-wire manual focus is the best implementation I've seen in a Sony lens. It makes you forget you are not focusing with a mechanical manual focus lens. It's very easy to precisely focus on your subject.

The FE 16-35/4 was able to compete neck
...Show more

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:58 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Fred. The relatively poor flare resistance of the 12-24 lens seems to bother me.
Other than that it seems to be a winner and nicely would complement my CV 10,15, WATE, and Batis 25.
Except for the CV 10, the other lenses can be used with AF.

K-H.

The big negative for many photographers will be adapting filters. Depending on the implementation, flare could get worse. I wish Sony added rear gel options like on the 11-24/4L. Right now there are two solutions but unfortunately they both use 150mm filters making the system a little heavy and bulky:

Nisi:
https://www.ebay.com/i/263060321007?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Bombo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150mm-Holder-Adapter-for-Sony-FE-12-24mm-f-4-G/272725585976

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Schlotkins wrote:
You don't need that 16-35 any more Fred

Especially when the 16-35GM is coming.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:22 AM
VeniceBeach

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Great looking lens. Like others, I nearly ordered one today.
Then I remembered my 16-35/4.
This thread has helped convince me to stay with what I have. I like being able to shoot at 35mm with the one zoom. But, if I need to go ultrawide to 12mm I'll get the 12-24.
Overall, another great lens from Sony. They are on fire.

Sony is becoming the PAC-Man of cameras as they gobble up every excuse for buying any other system. And I say this as a Fuji X shooter that uses my XT2 more than my A9.

Thanks for the images and analysis.

-Bill

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:48 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Thanks for all the work Fred. Lens looks fantastic for a zoom and I am so tempted but will wait for the 16-35GM release before I decide

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:16 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Thanks Fred for all the effort.
Smooths my transition from EOS kit to Sony.

I don't understand why though that anyone would rid of a 16-34/4 for this lens. Again I ask what is wrong with FL overlap ??

Same with the B18 that I'm keen to push the button on. Seems each has a purpose.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:23 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Wow, I'm impressed!

I think my copy of the CV 12 may be better than yours. I don't see that severe midzone drop, and my corners are at least as good. I think of it as my superwide Loxia 21.

Concerning the vignetting, what are your camera settings for Lens Comp(ensation)? Some vignetting might be taken out of the 12-24 in camera (aka Loxia 21)?

If you 16-35/4 isn't sold PM me

BTW, your sunstar comparison has the Loxia at f/11, but the 12-24 at f/16

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:25 AM
1       2      
       4              18       19       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              18       19       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password