1       2       3              17      
       19       end

Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Justin Stone wrote:
I am have a very hard time acquiring and locking autofocus in the extreme corners of the 12-24 lens paired to my a7r2. Is this normal behavior? It doesn't seem to matter if I use a large, medium, or small focusing reticle. None acquire AF very well. Just hunts. F4, f5.6, f8; doesn't seem to matter what aperture. Broad daylight too.

In the extreme corners, you said? But why, if I may ask? I meant what are trying to achieve?

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:57 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

No particular composition, but the times I've attempted it it has been in service of testing the corner sharpness of the lens. I noticed the behavior and thought it was weird.

AGeoJO wrote:
In the extreme corners, you said? But why, if I may ask? I meant what are trying to achieve?

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Justin Stone wrote:
No particular composition, but the times I've attempted it it has been in service of testing the corner sharpness of the lens. I noticed the behavior and thought it was weird.

Normally, we put the focus pretty much in the center area and you evaluate how the corner performs at that focusing plane all the way to the corners. If you see the corners a little weak but improved upon closing down the aperture, then it is generally OK. Weak corners could be attributed to indeed to be a less than ideal lens design. Every single lens that I know of performs less in the corners than in the center. Or it may have to do with the curvature of field of a certain lens, which also should improve with stopping down the aperture. Or if the corner performance is not the same, the left side is significantly weaker than the right side or vice versa, then it has to do with a potential decentering issue. IMHO, trying to focus on the extreme corners in an attempt to evaluate the performance of a lens is unconventional and may lead to questionable results. I hope you don't mind my telling you this.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I don't mind. And I'm not actually evaluating the lens based on this method. I was messing around with focus acquisition on different parts of the focal plane to see what it did to the corner sharpness. Anyway... I answered my own question by trying to repeat results with other wide angle lenses. All struggle in the extremes.

AGeoJO wrote:
Normally, we put the focus pretty much in the center area and you evaluate how the corner performs at that focusing plane all the way to the corners. If you see the corners a little weak but improved upon closing down the aperture, then it is generally OK. Weak corners could be attributed to indeed to be a less than ideal lens design. Every single lens that I know of performs less in the corners than in the center. Or it may have to do with the curvature of field of a certain lens, which also should improve with stopping
...Show more

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:55 PM
pmrphoto
• • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Last night I shot 13 senior football players in a group photo... I had to use the 12-24 to make the shot work. WOW!!!!! the edges are really sharp, even at f/5.6 and 8!!!!

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:26 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Just an update on making an adapter for the 12-24 Sony holder so I can use it with my other lenses...

The 24-70 GM will *just* fit the collar without the lens hood installed, so that works straight out of the box with no adapters needed.

I have a bunch of smaller lenses that won't and so I decided to figure out an adapter. Here's what it took for me to do it:

1. 82mm UV filter
2. 86mm UV filter
3. 5 minute epoxy
4. Dremel with cut-off disks
5. Small file

OK, first, buy really cheap filters that have a threaded collar to hold the glass. This makes it possible to remove the glass easily. Remove the glass from both and discard.

Try the 82. It will be too small to get the clamp on the holder to tighten onto it. Try the 86, you probably won't be able to get it to slide into the opening (very slightly too large).

Put the 82mm collar back on the 82mm ring to give it a little more cross sectional strength.

Now, of you reverse the 86, you should be able to get the 82 to fit inside it sort of like a stacking plates. There should be a little room in there for the 82 to rattle around.

(GUY, I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS!) Now take the 86 and a Dremel with a cutting wheel and slice it on one side all the way through. Then, cut off another really small piece to remove a little more material at the cut than the cutoff blade does in a single cut. You don't want to remove too much, really just the kerf of two of the blades +/-.

Next, take a small jewelers file and clean up the edges and corners of the cut so that it won't scratch anything.

OK, now, take and re-seat the two filter rings in the stack. The 82 with its threads sticking out and the 86 surrounding it with its threads sticking out. Now that you have it sliced, you will be able to squeeze it around the 82 so that it is a tight fit and it doesn't rattle around at all.

That makes the diameter of the two small enough that it should fit the holder just fine. If you try it and it seems like it is going to fit OK, then all you need to do is put a little epoxy inside the 86 and put the 82 in again and get it clamped together so the 86 is tight on the 82 until it sets. I used one of the 'Armstrong' style bands to squeeze them together while the epoxy set.

If it seems a bit too tight, you may need to take a grinder bit on the Dremel and clean out the inside threads on the 86 a bit so you can clamp it tighter on the 82. That shouldn't be necessary, though.

Once the epoxy is dry, you have an 82mm threaded ring that the holder will clamp to, and you can then use step-up rings to go from whatever size you have up to the 82mm ring and you can clamp that assembly into the holder.

If anyone need photos, I can show some of the assembly.

Variants on this would be if you have only a single filter ring size that you need to adapt, you could replace the 82mm filter with a step-up ring that goes from whatever size you need up to 82, so a 52-82 or whatever, and then the 86mm filter that will be cut and glued around it.

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Wonderpana holder now available for the Sony 12-24/4G:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/wpcore-snfe1224

Oct 07, 2017 at 04:44 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/wpcore-snfe1224

I just ordered one. I already have a Fotodiox 145mm slim C-POL and 145mm ND (4 and 6 stops). Now I will be able to use filters from 12mm until 24mm. I will report back on how it performs.

Oct 07, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Mark K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Can anyone tell me if the prime Irix 15mm/Laowa 15mm and thier 11mm/12mm siblings offer better Sony 12-24F4G. As use of ND/filters is of so much importance in landscape photography, the possibility of using my existing 100mm system is of utmost importance. From what I read here, Sony zoom beats even the best known CV...and that is a surprise.
For FE mount, I already have the Zony 16-35/F4

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:51 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Mark K wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the prime Irix 15mm/Laowa 15mm and thier 11mm/12mm siblings offer better Sony 12-24F4G. As use of ND/filters is of so much importance in landscape photography, the possibility of using my existing 100mm system is of utmost importance. From what I read here, Sony zoom beats even the best known CV...and that is a surprise.
For FE mount, I already have the Zony 16-35/F4

I posted some 1:1 crops on this thread. The Laowa 15/2 is just as good as the FE 12-24/4 @15mm.
At f/4 they are very similar in resolution. The Sony has lower lateral CA and the Laowa has less distortion and better flare resistance. Pick your poison.

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I went Laowa for more the distortion and size in a way. Itís also manual which I like more

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:47 PM
Mark K
• •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
I posted some 1:1 crops on this thread. The Laowa 15/2 is just as good as the FE 12-24/4 @15mm.
At f/4 they are very similar in resolution. The Sony has lower lateral CA and the Laowa has less distortion and better flare resistance. Pick your poison.

Can't resist more. I put it on my list...and started to save for 150mm Nisi...

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Mark K wrote:
Can't resist more. I put it on my list...and started to save for 150mm Nisi...

Don't forget you can also use regular 77mm filters from 14-24mm with this lens:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503152

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:18 AM
Mark K
• •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
Don't forget you can also use regular 77mm filters from 14-24mm with this lens:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503152

Thanks
Out of curiosity, can this lens take 100mm filter set like Irix 14mm does?

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Mark K wrote:
Thanks
Out of curiosity, can this lens take 100mm filter set like Irix 14mm does?

No, the 12-24/4 G only works with a 150mm filter system.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:53 AM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Picked one up this weekend. I think the general consensus is that it's weaker at the long end, but my copy seems to be strongest at 16-24 and kinda poor in the corners at 12-15, which I'm kinda fine with as I don't expect to use it much at those focal lengths. I'm honestly not that used to shooting at 12-15 though, so I may have to double check my technique to eliminate user error. I'm on my fourth or fifth copy of the 16-35/4 (depends on if you count my first copy which was a rental and was, sadly, the best copy I have used, wish I'd just bought that one from LR), and at the critical 16mm focal length, the 12-24 bests my 16-35, and not by a little. There is definitely some loss of resolution in the corners in the 12-24, but it's not so much of the astigmatism type of the 16-35 and responds quite a bit better to software fixes. After profiling and sharpening, the 12-24 is basically corner to corner sharp, which is better than my 16-35 or even my Batis 18. More testing to follow.

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

tylerdurden801 wrote:
Picked one up this weekend. I think the general consensus is that it's weaker at the long end, but my copy seems to be strongest at 16-24 and kinda poor in the corners at 12-15, which I'm kinda fine with as I don't expect to use it much at those focal lengths. I'm honestly not that used to shooting at 12-15 though, so I may have to double check my technique to eliminate user error. I'm on my fourth or fifth copy of the 16-35/4 (depends on if you count my first copy which was a rental and was, sadly,
...Show more

If it's poor to the corners from 12-15, I would try another copy. I've tried many copies of the 12-24/4G and in average, it's optimum from 15-20mm, although it's still excellent at 12mm @f/5.6. (better than any other prime I compared to it) and very good at 24mm @f/5.6. Most of the variation is at the long end and it's not easy to find a centered copy at 24mm.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:50 PM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I'm going to do some more testing in case it was user error at the wide end. I'm quite pleased with the performance from 16mm on.

Nov 15, 2017 at 04:03 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I got one a few weeks ago. At 12mm, it easily beat my Voigtlander 12/5.6 E-mount, which I sold without hesitation.

Nov 15, 2017 at 04:28 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:

Mine arrived today. It's well made and fits the lens beautifully. But...it's ginormous!

I'm waiting for the 145mm polarizer to arrive, so nothing to use it for yet.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:50 AM
       19       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

19       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password