Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

kaioyang
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, this lens flares like this.

Thanks Fred and K-H,
Actually I found the flares even at F/4.
That's ok, just have to be careful shooting into the sun.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Here are instructions for downloading and replacing the current Sony FE 12-24/4 G Lightroom lens profile.
IMO, the current profile over-corrects for vignetting and the below version in an attempt to fix that.

Download the edited profile here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/SONY-12-24-edited.zip

Unzip it.

Go to:

Applications > Adobe Lightroom > Adobe Lightroom

Right-click and select “Show Package Contents”

Then go to:

Contents > Resources > LensProfiles > 1.0 > Sony

Find the profile:

SONY (Sony FE 12-24mm F4 G) - RAW.lcp

Important: Make a backup of your current profile before replacing it!!

Replace it with the version downloaded above.

PS: If Lightroom is open, close it. Re-open it for the changes to take effect.
This works on my Mac with the latest version of Lightroom. I have not tested it with other LR versions or on a PC. Play with profiles at your own risk. Always make a backup of the file being replaced.

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:12 AM
seanj
• •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Thanks Fred

Jul 23, 2017 at 04:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

seanj wrote:
Thanks Fred

Jul 23, 2017 at 05:13 AM
seanj
• •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

mjm6 wrote:
I have been testing out the NiSi 150mm holder today a little...

It's quiet nice, and frankly, while bigger than a 100mmm filter kit, it is really no more inconvenient. They both have the need to be fiddled with to get on the lens, bot require removal of the hood on some lenses, and they are both bulky.

The one thing I noticed is that the 150mm filters are a bit too wide to really comfortably be held in my fingers by the edges, so that means they will probably be far more likely to be dropped if I'm not careful. That
...Show more

I'd like to use ND filters for a secret waterfall place and gorgeous sunset spot on Earth I'll visit in a few weeks (that very few people know about, so I keep it secret -- though, it's in the wilderness of Canada if that helps).

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what to buy as all of my ND filters in the past have been 49mm and have just screwed into my Emount lenses . . . so I am fairly novice.

But I'd like to take the 12-24 Sony G lens. Is this the filter system I need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B071J5MQ8L/ and then I'd need some 150mm ND glass, I suppose. Does any 150 glass that's 2mm work? I thought it was odd that Nisi is selling this filter as a 12-24 make when it's really just one they already made for another lens, I suspect. But if it fits and mjm6 seems to recommend it, then I am all ears.

EDIT: I just noticed this ships from China and won't arrive in time for my Canadian adventure. But there are other Nisi 150 systems that don't specifically mention the 12-24 from Sony. I assume they're the same, right?

Jul 24, 2017 at 03:55 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

seanj wrote:
I'd like to use ND filters for a secret waterfall place and gorgeous sunset spot on Earth I'll visit in a few weeks (that very few people know about, so I keep it secret -- though, it's in the wilderness of Canada if that helps).

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what to buy as all of my ND filters in the past have been 49mm and have just screwed into my Emount lenses . . . so I am fairly novice.

But I'd like to take the 12-24 Sony G lens. Is this the filter system I need:
...Show more

Seanj,

They aren't the same! Each one has a specific adapter built into the holder to fit a particular lens. It slides over the lens hood and is designed to fit that lens ONLY.

They do make a generic one that will fit lenses up to 95mm I think, but that one won't work on the 12-24.

My recommendation is to go to this location:

Ebay seller

I got mine in about 8 days from them, and they have them on sale...

If that's not enough time, you can try B&H or Adorama, I think they have some Nisi products.

If all else fails, you will have to do without, because you won't be able to hold a filter in front of the lens without getting back reflections (probably...) since the hood has cut out corners.

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:00 AM
seanj
• •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Thanks. Ordered. I think I'll check out B&H for the ND glass inserts.

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:35 AM
chiron
• • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

mjm6 wrote:
Seanj,

They aren't the same! Each one has a specific adapter built into the holder to fit a particular lens. It slides over the lens hood and is designed to fit that lens ONLY.

They do make a generic one that will fit lenses up to 95mm I think, but that one won't work on the 12-24.

My recommendation is to go to this location:

Ebay seller

I got mine in about 8 days from them, and they have them on sale...

If that's not enough time, you can try B&H or Adorama, I think they have some Nisi products.

If all else fails, you will have
...Show more

I looked at the video of this adapter going on the 12-24. It shows thumbscrews being tightened at the end. I assume this leaves pressure gouges where the screw tip presses against the lens hood?

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I got mine in about 5 days from China. Really nice unit.

seanj wrote:

But I'd like to take the 12-24 Sony G lens. Is this the filter system I need:
...Show more

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Chiron,

There is a metal and what looks synthetic leather collar that the thumb screw bears down on, and this clamps to the lens hood, so as long as you are careful moving the hood, the lens won't receive damage. The collar goes all the way around, so it applies pressure over a good portion of the hood.

The thumbscrew does not bear on the hood directly. Also, the thumbscrew is captive, so it won't get lost.

Overall, I think it's a great product. Well designed and manufactured. My only complaint is that there is no easy way to adapt it for other lenses because the 12-24 cone and adapter is permanently fixed to the filter holder. I'm working n an adapter collar for that out of a step-up ring and a UV filter with the glass taken out.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Im going to pull out my FE35 1.4 hood and try it along with the Basis 25. I typically just put these hoods in the box and use metal screw ins. But worth pulling them out to try. I bought both from Haida the CPL and 6 stop ND. I used haida before when i shot Medium format tech cams and i always found them to be without color casts and did a nice job, plus there glass and the bonus cheaper than everyone else. Right now I'm trying to figure out a little pouch or carry bag. I got it squeezed into a TT slim changer but needs to be slightly bigger. Any ideas let me know. I mean a inch taller would do it

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:34 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Guy,

The 24-70 GM will fit the holder without the hood on it. It's a little tight, but it will work.

That makes me think that a 86mm filter ring should work as well. I have one coming, and if that works, then we'll be in business. An 82mm filter is a bit too small, the holder can't clamp down on it.

---M

Jul 24, 2017 at 03:05 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Maybe we can use a step up ring. I'll start looking but may need a blank 86 ring to add depth so it has more surface to grab. I'll start looking. Great idea thanks

Jul 24, 2017 at 03:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Okay just ordered a 72 to 86 step up and a 86mm UV which I'll take the glass out. This should fit my 351.4 and I have a 67 to 72 step up on hand which will do the Batis 25. Keep you all posted. Worth 15 bucks to try it.

Jul 24, 2017 at 03:26 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Ugh... 86mm filter is fractionally too large. At least the one I got is.

I'm going to take the 82 and see about adding some thickness to it to get the clamp to work with it. A scrap piece of plastic or metal and epoxy should do the trick until I can get something machined up properly.

Jul 25, 2017 at 03:36 AM
pmrphoto
• • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

thanks for doing this comparison, Fred--amazing is right!!! I love the lens but hadn't tested it against anything else. You did the work for me!!!! pm-r

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

mjm6 wrote:
Ugh... 86mm filter is fractionally too large. At least the one I got is.

I'm going to take the 82 and see about adding some thickness to it to get the clamp to work with it. A scrap piece of plastic or metal and epoxy should do the trick until I can get something machined up properly.

I just got an email from Haida and they told me they will have a 12-24/4 G adapter (150mm) soon.
It would look like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1298493-REG/haida_hd3206_150mm_filter_holder_set.html

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:26 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

That's good to hear Fred.

I think that using a design like that will be good for size and weight, but there is the penalty that you have to be careful to avoid back light reflections on the filters more because they aren't shielded by the metal backing piece as is done with the Nisi version.

It does look like it would solve the problem of not having a universal adapter for normal lenses.

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Might be interesting. Maybe Ill get one and test it against the Nisi which i do like. Nisi I paid 170 for it. Hey we can always sell it cheap on the board.

Jul 26, 2017 at 04:22 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I am have a very hard time acquiring and locking autofocus in the extreme corners of the 12-24 lens paired to my a7r2. Is this normal behavior? It doesn't seem to matter if I use a large, medium, or small focusing reticle. None acquire AF very well. Just hunts. F4, f5.6, f8; doesn't seem to matter what aperture. Broad daylight too.

Jul 26, 2017 at 07:36 PM
1       2       3              16      
       18       19       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18       19       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password