New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Table-top Tripod Review added

runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Table-top Tripod Review added

It is cold. It is snowy. Polar vortexes have hit. This weekend is fog and rain. Got a light box set up and all the floors are carpeted. I am looking for a SMALL tabletop tripod with some height adjustability. I found this on Amazon. I am not interested in expensive. I tried a cheaper one but it was impossible to use the column without pliers. It went back to Amazon. This one looks nicer, with an easy to use column. I am o;pen to suggestion here.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MUX3NJU/ref=asc_df_B00MUX3NJU5343159/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00MUX3NJU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198070155062&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4464649339792762212&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016191&hvtargid=pla-320998178348

Edited on Jan 30, 2018 at 04:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2018 at 07:48 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Table-top Tripod Review added

I've got something similar from Beixin (M-225S+V-30). Ballhead is not the same but the tripod looks very similar except the centre column has its own knob and is therefore very easy to tighten/loosen.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:06 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Bexin has 2 sections, this one 3. For tabletop I doubt I would ever need a third section. Is it solid? Seems anything that small would be. The amazon one has sizes so I know what I am getting.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:02 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Table-top Tripod Review added

How about a Platypod? More versatile than a table top tripod. Also available at Amazon.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/01/09/review-platypod-ultra-smallest-tripod-replacement/

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:07 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Conclusions

From your lionk comesw this summary.
I genuinely cannot understand the Platypod Ultra except for videographers. But even in many of those cases, I’d more likely use an actual, proper tripod.

The Platypod Ultra receives two out of five stars.
==================================
How do you adjust height? Carrying screws 10 inches long just does not float my boat. Maybe where tripods are forbidden, but this is my tabletop and lightbox. I could forbid the use of tripods in my home, but being as I am judge, jury and executioner, it i as pointless as Rube Gooldberg's inventions. At least Rube Goldber's inventions were visually interesting.

Edit to add: It costs twice the price of the tripod and requires purchase of a ballhead. It also has 3 very pointy screws to sink into my wood table. No thanks.

Jan 21, 2018 at 03:15 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Table-top Tripod Review added

runamuck wrote:
Bexin has 2 sections, this one 3. For tabletop I doubt I would ever need a third section. Is it solid? Seems anything that small would be. The amazon one has sizes so I know what I am getting.

Actually the Bexin has 4 sections (it's difficult to see even when you have it in hand but one twist of the foot opens up the sections with distinct 'clicks') plus the centre column. It's absolutely rock solid, quite a heavy little thing (455g w/o ballhead).
Sections not extended and ballhead removed it's about 13.5cms high.
1st section extended it's 20 cms
2nd section extended it's 26cms
3rd section extended it's 31.5cms
Centre column is an extra 5cms.

At its lowest setting (legs out flat but the non-removable centre column extended, it's about 10-11cms without the ballhead.

I also have a PlatyPod. Horrible little thing to try and use, so fiddly and in cold weather I could see myself dropping and losing bits. I've taken it out once or twice but it has no advantage over an in-situ rock with small stones under the camera for positioning!

Jan 22, 2018 at 01:04 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Frogfish wrote:
I also have a PlatyPod. Horrible little thing to try and use, so fiddly and in cold weather I could see myself dropping and losing bits. I've taken it out once or twice but it has no advantage over an in-situ rock with small stones under the camera for positioning!

I almost bought one last year.

EBH

Jan 22, 2018 at 01:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Table-top Tripod Review added

yeah i have 2 of them use them quite a bit for various types of perspective shots. not for everyone. the limiting factor is in the end the user.

use the Max as a flat plate and race tracks and low profile shots and an larger trees/objects with Velcro straps.

the Ultra is used in much the same way on smaller round objects with the Velcro. flash units.

they just takes a little ingenuity and imagination to use.

the screws are used to brace on round objects. not fiddy, actual functional.

in use the Max, Ultra and original, in the case here, 4 (or 3) pointy screws reverse to polymer padded feet for use on things you'd prefer not to scratch.

they also make nifty mic stands

i think i have enough ballheads around for use.

it is nothing really new, versions used in the cinema industry for decades with them costing a lot more.

Edited on Jan 22, 2018 at 12:41 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Frogfish--Thanks for the measurements. Now is decision time. It is a lot like this Baaland I trioed at club. May even be the same thing with a different name printed on it. Amazon has it for 45 bucks US.
https://www.amazon.com/BAALAND-Portable-Compact-Tabletop-Aluminum/dp/B01N0C8LU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516641272&sr=8-2&keywords=baaland+camera+tripod

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Looks like an updated reworked version of the Beixin. The grey edges to the sleeves giving it away. There is a locking knob on my version (for the centre column) whereas this one has a locking nut. That has a different ballhead too. However the legs and locking mechanism agin looks identical.

Jan 23, 2018 at 09:30 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Ordered both. One will get returned.

Jan 23, 2018 at 02:25 PM
pixelimpress

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Both look great! I've also heard of the Fittest MT-03 desktop tripod, not bad for low angle photography. Anyone tried that?

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Table-top Tripod Review added

pixelimpress wrote:
Both look great! I've also heard of the Fittest MT-03 desktop tripod, not bad for low angle photography. Anyone tried that?

Legs don't extgend. No column. On tiny tripods bringing the legs in to gain height makes a very unstable setu. The "octopus stras" seem like a nice idea but I see no need to tie a tripod to my table. You could tie it to a tree or post, but outdoors I usually have a full size tripod or monopod available. It might work well for hunters checking to see what game passes by a certain point.

My tripods arrive tomorrow. After 2 weeks one will go back.

Jan 24, 2018 at 01:02 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Why does the tripod need to be on top of the table?

When I use a light tent the tripod is on the floor as are my light stands and I can adjust the height of both to be optimum for what I am photographing.

I can get the end of my camera lens to within inches of the item with the tripod legs resting on the floor and the tripod at the edge of the stand I use for the light tent. Might be a problem if I used a 6 foot round table but I do not. I use a rectangular table with a glass top to support the light tent.

There are also stands that are like the ones used for tile saws (that provide a good support for light tents like the RedWing Cocoon ones and fold up for storing them when not in use. The Cocoon light tents have saved me many hours in both shooting and in post with my product photography.

Jan 24, 2018 at 01:37 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Table-top Tripod Review added

My floors are all carpeted and nothing is stable with a tripod, so I am forced to use a tabletop tripod. If anything moves, everything moves the same.

I finally got the koolehaoda tripod after a week of delays by the postal service. First impressions is the koolehaoda is far larger than the Baaland tripod as can be seen by the photos. Both columns feature a choke nut around the collar rather than small wheel between the legs. This is far more convenient than having to use pliers to get at the tiny wheel.

The Baaland uses quarter twist legs while the Koolehaoda uses the more familiar leg locks used on full size tripods. This is a toss up. I am used to the twist locks, but those quarter turn legs sure are slick. I just wonder how long they will last.

Both ball heads are A-S compatible. Both are very small. Both handled my Sigma 50-150 with little trouble using the tripod foot on the lens. Neither would handle the lens when mounting the camera to the ballhead. Then again, this can be tough for many ballheads.

In the photo of the full splay, the Baaland got lower simply because the owner cut the column off so it does not extend below the tripod spider. I think they would be about equal otherwise. The koolehaoda column is reversible so the camera can hang beneath the tripod. I am not comfy with hanging the camera downside up.

Both are surprisingly sturdy. The koolehaoda may be a bit more stable because of the wider foot print. For tabletop use both work very well.

Leg angle locks on the koolehaoda are the pull type spacers used on many larger tripods. The Baaland uses a more convenient slider. Both work well and smoothly. I find the slider more convenient for me.

I am going to go with the Baaland. It is much smaller and lighter. With the column cut off it gets low with no problem. The Koolehaoda is probably more stable given the larger footprint, but the Baaland's maller size gets it the nod for me. The Baaland fits in a largeish jacket pocket.while the Koolehaoda comes with a handy dandy padded pouch. As with everything, YMMV. I apol;ogize for the p;hoto quaoity, but I was shooting handheold and my hands are shakey

Sorry about the typos. Shakey hands andf a bit of arthritis make typing (and reading my typing) an adventure. Remember how the library had sings about reading is adventure? Now you know why!!!

Edited on Jan 31, 2018 at 05:08 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2018 at 04:10 PM
Venky
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Table-top Tripod Review added

runamuck,

What is the contraption used in the last two pictures. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2018 at 04:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Amazon Basics light box. It is a 2'x2'x2' monster. After looking at the horror stories about failed units I decided to go with this one just because it was Amazon. As you can see the two tripods stretched its limits.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-53-005312-Portable-Photo-Studio/dp/B01GIL6EU4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1517435664&sr=8-11&keywords=light+box

Jan 31, 2018 at 04:59 PM
Venky
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Table-top Tripod Review added

Thanks a lot.

runamuck wrote:
Amazon Basics light box. It is a 2'x2'x2' monster. After looking at the horror stories about failed units I decided to go with this one just because it was Amazon. As you can see the two tripods stretched its limits.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-53-005312-Portable-Photo-Studio/dp/B01GIL6EU4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1517435664&sr=8-11&keywords=light+box

Jan 31, 2018 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.