FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

tmiller9
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

JimKied wrote:
Todd - these are spectacular. I noticed you are using the sigma 12-24 for nikon. How do you like it. The pic is spectacular, but wanted to know your thoughts also.

Jim - I love it. I realize it doesn't "score" as high as other Art lenses (don't really care), but I have found no issues with IQ on the lens. I've used it here, Canadian Rockies and on the Pacific Coast and have been very happy with the extra 2mm over my 14-24. My only issue is that it takes the HUGE Wonderpana system. Significantly larger than the ones for the 14-24. Not really bothered with the extra size of the filters (when I use them) in the field - but it does take a bit more care to transport them in my backpack, I do own - and use both (Sigma 12-24 & Nikon 14-24) - and if I could only choose 1 - I would lean to the Sigma. I think it matches up really well with the Nikon. Hope that helps - and thanks for the comments on the set.

Todd

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:59 AM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Todd, beautiful set of images! I especially like the first three.
Keith W.

Jul 08, 2017 at 07:55 AM
Wark4

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

These are all so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing this wonderful set of images. Bucket list photography trip!

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:47 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Great set, Todd. All nice but the first two are my favorites. Nice to see some different Iceland takes.

Jul 08, 2017 at 05:32 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Jul 08, 2017 at 05:55 PM
smmokan16
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Great shots, some of the best I've seen from Iceland lately.

How were the crowds? Were just the normal "touristy spots" (Golden Circle, Seljalandsfoss, etc) busy, or was it busy everywhere you went? My wife and I were there for two weeks back in 2014, and it wasn't busy at all once you got off the beaten path.

Jul 10, 2017 at 02:27 AM
tmiller9
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

smmokan16 wrote:
Great shots, some of the best I've seen from Iceland lately.

How were the crowds? Were just the normal "touristy spots" (Golden Circle, Seljalandsfoss, etc) busy, or was it busy everywhere you went? My wife and I were there for two weeks back in 2014, and it wasn't busy at all once you got off the beaten path.

Thanks very much for the feedback - greatly appreciate it!

Iceland was crowded - no doubt about it. But, from a photographic standpoint - it was a good crowded. What I mean is there were certainly plenty of tour buses around - but those were only out on the road between 9:00am - 5:00pm - so that "crowd" was a non-event for me - other than occasional road traffic - and the very busy gas station cafe's. I also found the campgrounds near Vik and Gullfoss were busy. All other campsites were moderate - and this is after seeing lots of campervans on the road.

Photographically speaking - I only found "crowds" at Seljalandsfoss (primarily a setting sun location ~ 9:00pm or so) and Kirkjufell (roughly a dozen or so - but ALL concentrated at the upper falls). My primary shooting times were between 10:00pm and 5:00am (midnight sun!) - give or take. This led to locations that had only a couple (if that) other photographers in my vicinity. I was often alone.

Having said all this - Iceland is trying to adjust to the increase in crowds seen over the past few years, I was there last September - and in that time - I found some areas roped off (primarily to protect foliage). Funny - you can't walk on shrubs - but you can stick your toes over a 100 ft. waterfall! There are also "safety" ropes in certain areas (Kirkjufell, etc.) which warn of danger - but not restricting your ability to be stupid.

I guess my take on it is this.... Iceland is magical. The reports that it is "over run" with tourists - isn't entirely true - or false. Either way - I wouldn't let that deter me from going. There is so much to see - and still lots of remote areas to explore (get a 4x4 and drive on the rougher roads!). It's quite easy to take photos without humans in them - and even if they are in the way - wait a few minutes - let them use their phones - then take another shot to blend them out later.

Todd

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Beautiful series. The second is my favorite.

Jul 10, 2017 at 05:35 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

I surely like the first two but cannot understand the processing of the rest - very mixed feelings, perhaps pushed too far. But that is just me

Jul 15, 2017 at 02:44 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Just came back from there yesterday with 3000+ images. What a place. Nice pics!

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Terrific set of images!!!! Great work! We are taking our first trip there in Feb next year! And also hope to do a camping trip in the next year or so.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Congrats !

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Thank you all for your kind comments and input - I greatly appreciate it. Iceland is a wonderful place - and even though it is a bit busy (and "popular") I would suggest you not let that deter you from going!

MJKoski wrote:
I surely like the first two but cannot understand the processing of the rest - very mixed feelings, perhaps pushed too far. But that is just me

MJ - Thanks so much for taking the time to take a look. While I appreciate your thoughts on the 1st two images - I really value your input on the others. I did struggle a bit on the processing of my images on this trip. The light was all over the place - and in many instances I've had to tone down some of the images. With your feedback - and the input from others - I will likely go back and re-assess some of these. That is why I value this forum - and the input received. Again - thanks.

All the best to all of you....

Todd

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:46 PM
ksmmike

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Wow!
I've tried to plan a trip to Iceland for 2 years now. It was sidetracked in 2017 by my health and now my wife's desire to take a river cruise in 2018. So it looks like 2019. Your images have inspired me to make it happen. Thank you for posting.
Mike

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Butchdog
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

All are stunning! I like the mystical nature of #3.
Well done!

Jul 15, 2017 at 05:33 PM
vieri
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Very nice work, love the first one! Best regards,

Vieri

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:36 AM
voltaire
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Love all the images; I can almost see Harry Potter's sorting hat in the first shot which is my favorite. Thanks for sharing these images.

Jul 18, 2017 at 05:04 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Chasing the Icelandic Midnight Sun

Very nice set
I'm going back to Iceland in sep and one of the places will be Hveravellir

Ronny //

Jul 19, 2017 at 07:14 PM
Jim Dockery
• •