New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

My grand sons photographer got double booked and he has asked me to do his wedding announcement photos. I was always ready to do it, but because I am clueless about how to pose the couple, I told him he should have a pro for this task, but in the lurch I am filling in.

1. They will choose the location with my advice on time of day for best light. I have some experience with fill flash if required.

2. Probably going to an alpine location with tree meadow foreground and mountain back ground. Around 10 AM with light at our back or side. I know to avoid making this a landscape with people in it, maybe some shallow dof?

3. What I really don't get is posing. We always see the advice to have them tilt their heads. Is this just the heads or the entire body? A lean or a post processing rotation (need to allow room for it).

4. Straight on or with them at an angle? My grandson is a big boy.

5. Full body or from say the waist up, or some other place,

6. I hope to have them with no direct sun and use fill flash. Maybe some dappled light, depends on what we can find.

Looking for any suggestions, this happens Sunday Morning.

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:39 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

ben egbert wrote:
6. I hope to have them with no direct sun and use fill flash

If you are talking about on camera fill flash, please, please don't do it! Flash on camera fill is just about the ugliest light there is. Actually it's not lighting, it's illumination.

ben egbert wrote:
Around 10 AM with light at our back or side.

This is way too late in the morning for my tastes. You need to start early in the morning and shoot until the light gets ugly. You'll need to have them in shade at 10am, the sun will be too harsh by then. What you really want is golden hour light, either at sunrise or sunset. Can you do two segments, one in the morning and one late afternoon?

One of the more effective ways to light an environmental portrait is to use the sun behind the subject as a rim light. Shoot with woods behind them, peeking through the trees for rim light. In front of them and behind you is a big open space, so that the warm sky is a big main source. You might want to help it along with a reflector.

ben egbert wrote:
4. Straight on or with them at an angle? My grandson is a big boy.

5. Full body or from say the waist up, or some other place,

You need to do a series of images for them, from close up to far away. Go to Flikr and search for "engagement". You'll see a variety of images, from sublime to horrible, but they should give you some posing ideas. I think the main thing is to get them to interact with each other. Look for photos with plus sized subjects. You can study the tricks they used to present them in the most flattering way. Usually putting them behind something and also giving them plenty of room in the frame helps.

Be sure to take some photos with a telephoto with a large aperture to separate them from the background.

Jul 06, 2017 at 12:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention that I have a bounce attachment for my flash. I use it at very low power. I will show a sample.

I would love to get there earlier and it's easy for me, but they can't. We can go back at sunset though. I will take my 100-400 and my main shoot will be with a 24-70.

Sample from location and with fill flash

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:06 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

I can't offer any help but I would suggest cross posting (or straight) over on the wedding forum.
I suspect you would get some great help in there.

Huge kudos for stepping up to the plate like this to help them out Ben!
I couldn't do it. I have a phobia of people in my viewfinder.

Dave

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:32 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

Hey Ben, dmacmillan gave you some excellent suggestions to think about and explore before the session. During the session I would also suggest putting emphasis on talking to the couple to put them at ease and make them feel comfortable. Even though I know it's your grandson and his fiance, establishing the right rapport with interest and intelligence and humor will bring out the best in the shoot. A lot to think about, but the end result of creating incredible, lasting memories for your family will pay dividends. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:12 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

Thanks Steve. I have discussed dmacmillian's comments with them and we have been looking at the flickr pages. Got some ideas.

I am wondering if the lighting from my sample shot is too harsh, or bright? I can tone it down for this next shot.

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:57 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

PM Karen

Bob

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:38 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

Some great tips already! Do you have any fast primes teles in your bag? Seeing as how you're not much into people I doubt it hehe.

Have you got any off camera flashes and umbrellas/softbox?

Steve couldn't be more right about getting everyone relaxed and natural beforehand and during the shoot. You'll get poses that don't look like the couple has a steel rod up their asses and you'll come away with better photos. Don't be afraid to rally off extra captures before and after a setup shot as sometimes you'll find these more candid interactions provide a deeper connection to the couple. Plus EVERYONE loves a few funny/goofy shots thrown in the mix.

I'd suggest getting to your location about 30 minutes beforehand to get some ideas for comp and make sure that your gear is situated.

Be mindful of your focal plane (100-150mm @ 4.5 won't be terribly thin) so you get both individuals in critical focus, as well as the extraneous details (limbs popping out of heads, clothing mishaps, stray hair, awkward hands/feet/fingers).

Since this is family you don't have to worry about the pressure to perform - just get out there and have fun with everyone and it'll be over with before you know it and you'll have 100 pics to begin looking through!

Jeff

Jul 10, 2017 at 01:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

The shoot is over and I have done prelim culling and processing. The kids have looked at them and will shortly sit with me to do final crops and touch up. They seem really happy with them and so am I. I have permission to show a few here when done.

It was a glorious time for me. They were just naturally happy and it showed, I did not need to do anything in that regard other than get them to do certain poses. We are all close. My grandson lives with me and she is here often.

Jul 10, 2017 at 01:49 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

ben egbert wrote:
The shoot is over and I have done prelim culling and processing. The kids have looked at them and will shortly sit with me to do final crops and touch up. They seem really happy with them and so am I. I have permission to show a few here when done.

It was a glorious time for me. They were just naturally happy and it showed, I did not need to do anything in that regard other than get them to do certain poses. We are all close. My grandson lives with me and she is here often.

Awesome, Ben! Very glad to hear that.

Looking forward to seeing what came away with!

Jeff

Jul 10, 2017 at 01:52 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

Thanks Ben! I needed a big smile today.

Very happy to hear it went well and you had a great time. Kudos!

Dave

Jul 10, 2017 at 02:11 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tips for wedding announcement photo shoot

Great news about the portrait shoot Ben!! Nothing as satisfying as taking portraits of family, and having them liking the results.

Steve

Jul 10, 2017 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.