Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A Diabolical Patience ...

JohnK007
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Diabolical Patience ...

Arizona Mantid Nymph
(Stagmomantis limbata)

34-image stack, taken with Nikon D810 + Voigtländer 125mm f/2.5 SL Apo-Lanthar Macro.

Natural light, unmanipulated subject, as-found in nature (although did clone-out a leaf in the upper right) ...

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:12 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Diabolical Patience ...

Beautiful shot and impressive stack.
Brian V.

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:49 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Diabolical Patience ...

The red coloration contributed to the title, no doubt. Mantisses always seem to be sizing up the photographer...
Amazing that you accomplished a 34-image stack with a subject who can move at any moment. Great job, John.

Edited on Jul 06, 2017 at 04:02 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:50 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Diabolical Patience ...

A lovely image of one of my favourite insects.

Harold

Jul 06, 2017 at 12:33 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Diabolical Patience ...

LordV wrote:
Beautiful shot and impressive stack.
Brian V.

Thank you, Brian.

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:39 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Diabolical Patience ...

GoodEgg wrote:
The red coloration contributed to the title, no doubt. Matisses always seem to be sizing up the photographer...
Amazing that you accomplished a 34-image stack with a subject who can move at any moment. Great job, John.

Thank you sir.

It's funny, I was 15-stacks into a side-shot ... when he turned his head. While I know what you mean about they're looking at the photographer ... in this case a tiny leafhopper landed nearby to re-direct his attention ... which made his sit still long enough to get a pretty deep stack for a live subject

I was hoping to be able to nail an authentic feeding session ... but no such luck. Leafhopper was too far away ... but its movement gave me the "freeze" I needed.

Edited on Jul 06, 2017 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:41 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Diabolical Patience ...

e6filmuser wrote:
A lovely image of one of my favourite insects.

Harold

Thank you Harold.

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:41 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Diabolical Patience ...

It's a beauty.

Jul 06, 2017 at 02:02 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Diabolical Patience ...

Thanks Mark.

Jul 06, 2017 at 05:21 PM
hayath
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Diabolical Patience ...

Impressive field stack! don't we love mantids/spiders for their "interest" in the camera?

Jul 07, 2017 at 12:16 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Diabolical Patience ...

Impressive stack - with two minor niggles that you got a stacking error where the thorn of the grappling arms meet the front leg and where the back leg is obscuring the leaf behind. In those areas the out of focus part of the insect has prevented the software from identifying that area as the one to chose because it is subjected to a loss of contrast and sharpness (as if shooting through a grass leaf in front of your subject). That kind of selection problem is typical for Zerene but that in turn is better than any other stacking program I know, it warrants going back to the original stack and manually correct that because you should have better captured areas of the leaf and leg respectively. As such a nice work, with the corrections I mentioned it could be even better.

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:35 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Diabolical Patience ...

hayath wrote:
Impressive field stack! don't we love mantids/spiders for their "interest" in the camera?

Thanks for the comments.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:46 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Diabolical Patience ...

charlyw wrote:
Impressive stack - with two minor niggles that you got a stacking error where the thorn of the grappling arms meet the front leg and where the back leg is obscuring the leaf behind. In those areas the out of focus part of the insect has prevented the software from identifying that area as the one to chose because it is subjected to a loss of contrast and sharpness (as if shooting through a grass leaf in front of your subject). That kind of selection problem is typical for Zerene but that in turn is better than any other stacking
...Show more

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I appreciate your positive feedback and constructive suggestion equally.

I re-did the stack and it has come out much better. I fear, however, that the back edge of the leaf will never be because I didn't stack deep enough.

I was able to improve some of the points that were lacking, and am pleased with the results, but will work on a deeper stack for the future.

Thanks again,

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:50 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.