New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

Erik in CO

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, very rare poster. I've been working with an image that's destined for a large canvas. I'm sure the image itself has its limitations in terms of composition and light, but it's what I've got, and now that I've been asked to deliver a largeish (42" wide) print, I just can't seem to arrive at post-processing that I'm happy with.

It was most definitely a pastel morning, but to me, the colors just seem... off, somehow, maybe a little bit on the purple side, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Tried fiddling with color balance, hue, but I don't seem to land on something acceptable.

Any advice on how I could make this image both pop a little more and hopefully look a little more... natural, I guess, would be very much appreciated.

On top of that, this is the first canvas I'll have printed. Is there anything I need to prepare for or take into account when printing to a canvas?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4217/34939416433_cfcfa121c8_o.jpg

Jul 05, 2017 at 10:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

The greens and yellows look ok to me, maybe reduce cyan for the sky and magenta for the mountain.

Seems a bit over sharpened to me (crunchy). As far as prep for canvas, I would ask the printer for advice.

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:29 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

Welcome to the "non-lurkers" part of the world.

Depending on the mood you want to go with (i.e. soft / pastel vs. drama vs. natural) ... that'll be a subjective S&P to taste kinda thing.

As to the color / pop ... there is a magenta cast that is visible in the neutral areas of the peak, but also in the snow. I adjusted the snow to nearly neutral (R=G=B). This in essence became an "add" of green / cyan. Applied globally, it brought your sky to a "stormy green" kind of color, so I (feathered) masked the sky to retain it as OP, since the sky is illuminated differently than your terrestrial portions, leaving a kiss of the magenta near the upper areas to go along with the red glow in the center.

As to the canvas thing ... no direct experience here, but iirc, the general convention is that you can use a different sharpening, since the canvas will not hold the sharpening as well as other media. Ben's point at discuss with your canvas / giclee printer is prudent.

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Erik in CO

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

Thanks! Giving both of your suggestions a try - that edit does look more pleasing, and I'll try to reproduce it!

Jul 07, 2017 at 12:00 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

beautiful image
nicely adjusted by Kent
do you know who will print your canvas?
I am giving a free promotion to Dan Berg who is on FM and has done a couple of canvas prints for me. Good guy, fair prices, and he will give you some advice on preparation, options

Scott

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:26 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

I don't know if it is downsize compression, but your yellows look blocked. You might want to check the histogram.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

dmacmillan wrote:
I don't know if it is downsize compression, but your yellows look blocked. You might want to check the histogram.

+1

Jul 07, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Erik in CO

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

OK! Thanks to all of you for the help. I think (hope) this version looks better. This is an uncropped version that will ultimately end up losing a bit off the top to become 42x26 in., about 116 PPI (which I've read should be OK for a canvas meant for viewing at 3-5 feet or more).

sbeme wrote:
beautiful image
nicely adjusted by Kent
do you know who will print your canvas?
I am giving a free promotion to Dan Berg who is on FM and has done a couple of canvas prints for me. Good guy, fair prices, and he will give you some advice on preparation, options

Scott

---------------------------------------------
I'll look in to Dan Berg as well, thank you for the lead - it would definitely be nice to work with someone who can provide some guidance!

dmacmillan wrote:

---------------------------------------------
If I'm reading the histogram right, yellows aren't clipped any more, and hopefully the .jpg output shows less oversharpening this time around too - some of it was caused by the original resizing, but not all.

Seems to be maybe a bit bluer than Kent's adjustment in the mountains... I tried to maintain a bit of the pastel pallette, and I'll have to decide if I like that particular aspect of it or not.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4211/35737672232_43f838f285_o.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

did you shoot this in RAW?

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

Landscapes aren't an area of focus for me and I haven't had many images printed on canvas, but in my experience canvas prints often seem lower in contrast and somewhat less sharp. You might consider boosting the mid-tone contrast and careful sharpening to a degree you may find too great for a smoother finish paper in order to compensate for printing on canvas. You might also consider darkening the foreground a bit, shadow dodging the black trees and deepest mountain shadows to recover some shadow detail.

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Difficulties with Maroon Bells Edit - and Editing for Canvas

BTW ... you may want to test print a section(s) of the image on a smaller canvas (retain the same PPI / DPI relationship) to get a feel for how your processing manifests itself onto canvas before you spend the $$$ for the full size canvas.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:30 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.